It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US threatens North Korea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well, its not a direct threat but...

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The United States warned North Korea (news - web sites) that it would face action from the international community if it does not stop exporting dangerous weapons and other illegal activities.
"If North Korea will not act, it will find the United States, its allies and other partners equally prepared to respond with measures that ensure North Korea cannot threaten our countries or international stability," said Mitchell Reiss, the department's director of policy planning.

news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040312/pl_afp/us_nkorea_nuclear_040312181932&printer=1

Well. I guess we may go to N. Korea before Iran. Who knows. I dont see NK nuking anyone. I would hope they are smarter then that.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Finally, we have something tangible to put behind the mystery "threats" that Kim Jong Il is always raving about.

Looking at this from the North Korean perspective, how can they possibly interpret it as anything other than "Stop or the US will kick your butt"? If the US couldn't gather international support for the Iraq war, is Kim going to assume that the international community is going to band together to stop him?

If war does break out in North Korea, I completely believe that Kim will use nukes against the US or Japan. I do not think he'll use them against South Korean or Chinese troops. I don't think it has anything to do with him being dumb, I think he'll see it as doing anything he can to protect himself and his regime. He'll use every available means, including nukes.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Well anything is possible. In "reality" the Korean War is still going on. They never signed an official treaty to end it; correct me if im wrong. It's funny how one person has the potential to ruin the world. I dont really see any way of taking their nuclear weapons away. The man is stubborn. Only he can prevent the forest fire.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Kim is a desparate man in a nation going through desperate economic situations (food, fuel, etc).
Millions are literally starving to death.

The 'root' of the problem I see is that Kim is demanding and then is recieving counter-demands in return. Looks like two rattlesnakes in a stand-off:

"Pyongyang has sought security guarantees and economic aid in return for denuclearization while Washington has insisted that a verifiable dismantling of the Stalinist state's nuclear program come first."

Send Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter.....

seekerof

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
That nutjob Kim Jong Ill has to be taken down soon before he gains the ability to launch nuclear missiles acurately and in large numbers. Currently we think he has less than a handfull of nukes, and his missles are not that acurate, his ability to hit the U.S is not really existant at this point. The real threat is to cities in South Korea and Japan, if even one missle hits the casualties could go into the hundreds of thousands.

Kim Jong Ill is not Saddam, this guy has been said to be mentaly unstable and prone to irrational behavior. And don't forget that North Korea is considered by many to be the most repressive country on Earth. N. Korea recieves the most foreign food aid of any country in the world, yet he takes that food and sells it on the black market to buy weapons and keep the party dominante over all life in the country. Farmers are told to grow opium instead of food, whole families are gassed in concentration camps who don't follow the party line. This is not a man that gives a damm about human life, delaying action through these useless talks will only give him more time to rape his own people and prepare an attack on the South.

We don't need to nessesarily go to war though, perhaps destabilizing his government through distribution of information, covert action, and aiding uprisings could be effective. If thats not feasable then maybe war is the only answer.The worst thing we can do though is let ourselves be blackmailed by this human scum while he turns around and keeps doing whatever he wants.

I don't want to be sent over there and maybe have to die in that dreary dark country, but if thats what it takes, then thats what it takes.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Many of my friends are joining the service. I would hope everything goes well out in Korea land. They need to send in Navy SEALS or something there. Only time will tell.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This article is an outstanding read on N. Korea as told by some who escaped. This regime is bad in so many ways, more so than Saddam.

The interesting part, this article is posted on the Aljazeera English website yet is the best accounting I have seen of the attrocities commited against the N. Korean people. Worth a read, especially before we invade...

Aljazeera Link on N. Korea

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
We would woop they're asses if we ever went to war with them in the first place, and we should've warned thos bastardes long before.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
We would woop they're asses if we ever went to war with them in the first place, and we should've warned thos bastardes long before.

We will win, but at a price. The PDRK can level Seoul within a matter of hours with solely conventional artillery, not to mention their stockpile of Chemical and Biological weapons.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Do you have any doubt that if pushed to war the DPRK leader would not use his nuclear weapons?

Seriously even if he did launch against S. Korea could/would the US really retaliate with Nukes? His people are oppressed, if we did retaliate it would be more innocent people killed for the actions of their leaders and the two detonations would further the environmental disaster on the pennisular. Not to mention we would then be as criminal as he was in the worlds eyes.

This one just scares me, he tells his people he is a God. He has everything to lose so why not be seen as exacting his vengence upon those in the South.

This could just get very very ugly.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thats the problem that our leaders don't understand. Action of some kind must be taken now before the price becomes more than we can bare.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I wonder. An EMP over North Korea, that would disable them from firing any nukes? If we launched one of those and then an invasion to take down whoever/whatever, I think we would be screwed. So many Korean warriors.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omega Pickle
I wonder. An EMP over North Korea, that would disable them from firing any nukes? If we launched one of those and then an invasion to take down whoever/whatever, I think we would be screwed. So many Korean warriors.

So man malnurished dissilusioned conscripts ready to lay down their arms and reunify the Korean Peninsula. Looks like it wouldnt be that hard if you could destroy the artillery pointed at Seoul and the Nukes.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well actualy I think the army would be fight pretty hard. In North Korea they are the only ones who are constantly fed well, and taken care of, they and party officails have the most to loose when the regime collapses.

It would be fantastic if an EMP weapon could disable their nukes, but I think since we discovered the effectd of EMP decades ago, most nuclear wepons now are probably built with sheilding for it. And that still would not help with the artilery pointed at Seoul Agent47 mentioned which fiited with both conventional and cheimical shells could cause up to 100,000 casualties in a matter of hours.

Not an easy task by any means. very scary.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Wow. I wonder if nuclear weapons/war/winter will be the death of us all. I also wonder if any other intelligent species ever arose in the Universe and if so, did they mastered nuclear energy? It might be the way all intelligent life goes. What could really destory an entire species of thinkers like us? A asteriod is really the only thing I can see killing us. I feel it is inevitable that we will destory ourselves.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie

Seriously even if he did launch against S. Korea could/would the US really retaliate with Nukes?

we would have to use nuclear retaliation, if North Korea used nukes first. Right now our nuclear arsenal is used as a deterrent force, if we failed to retaliate we would lose the deterrance.

posted on Mar, 14 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Thats right, so we have to act before that becomes inevitable.

new topics

top topics

join