It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank watch megathread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Goldman Sachs... the only investment bank to escape relatively unscathed.

I think the future of banking is with the big conglomerates:

HSBC, BoA, SWFs (sovereign wealth funds), Goldman Sachs etc.

On dodgy ground are Citigroup and Wachovia.

On their deathbed are UBS and AIG. These two (and they are giants) will be the next to collapse.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Nice positive spin from NY Times is now leading the headlines on google:

Change Arrives, With a Sense That Wall St.’s Boom Times Are Over

As the tectonic shifts within the American financial industry shook the world’s markets on Monday, many experts predicted that events of the last 72 hours heralded a new period of painful change for Wall Street.

The predictions were sobering. Investment banks will be smaller. Their profits will be leaner. Jobs in finance will be scarcer. And the outsize role of Wall Street in the nation’s economy will shrink.

That is the extreme case... *snip*

Wall Street reinvents itself all the time. Many executives say it will do so again, even as storied firms and others face questions about their futures.

“This industry is a dynamic industry that has evolved in unanticipated ways in the last 30 years and created pools of earnings that previously did not exist," said James P. Gorman, co-president of Morgan Stanley.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ah, change we can believe in.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but a friend of mine living in "suburban" Washington DC just told me that people are "running around for their money" already, her parents soon to be included, at about 9pm PST today. She also said "alarm is going up pretty high" already and that her dad is already maybe facing a layoff from the firm he's worked at for 24 years.

So it begins?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
There are signs of serious jitters concerning the liquidity of UK banks. The biggest UK mortgage lender has so far fallen 34% in one day:

Shares in UK bank HBOS are leading a steep decline in UK stocks as turmoil on financial markets intensifies.

Investors are concerned that HBOS is too dependent on money markets to fund its lending as the cost of borrowing shoots up.

Shares in HBOS were down 34%, or 79.5 pence, at 153p after an 18% fall a day earlier. Many other bank shares have also been hit.

In a statement, HBOS said it had a "strong capital base".

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Currently being discussed in breaking news: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can hardly believe the pace at which things are happening.

[edit on 16/9/08 by pause4thought]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Uh Oh! WAMU back on the radar screen!

Feds Seeking Buyer for WAMU

The fate of Washington Mutual remained in question yesterday as federal regulators recently called a number of banks asking if they would consider buying the nation's largest savings and loan should it eventually falter, sources told The Post.

In recent days, federal banking regulators have reached out to Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase, HSBC and several other financial institutions to gauge their interest in a possible acquisition of WaMu, but no merger discussions are currently under way between the Seattle-based bank and anyone else, sources said.

Not exactly a good sign for them.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Here is a bit more info about WaMu - they look to be the next:

The obstacle, however, is that “no one knows what’s in their books,” the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter. There could be, he said, “a minimum amount of value there.”

Regulators gauge bank interest in WaMu

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Looks like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs are next to die

Don't be surpised one of these firms will turn into an Asian owned business!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by krayziehotsauce

I swear Asia will own everything.

We are seeing the Rise of the East.

I am currently learning Mandarin.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Friday 9/19 Winner is......

Not a big Bank, but they are still taking.

Ameribank, Inc., Northfork, WV

Quite frankly I'm surprised they are still taking anyone, with the current Bill being discussed. Why not just wait for them to take advantage of the Financial Welfare coming?

[edit on 9/20/2008 by Relentless]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Over another weekend....another major event took place.

both Goldman Sacs and Morgan Stanley... two major
Investment Banks
went directly to the Fed. and were granted an immediate change of status into Commercial Bank holding companies.

all the MSM talking heads are scratching their heads & wondering just why both Goldman and Morgan financial houses which were 2 of the larger movers-&-shakers, & high flyers in the global financial markets... have suddenly gone Austere.

here's my take on the WHY...

the Fed & Treasury are in the beginning stages of pushing through the proposed $700Billlion mortgage bailout.
It would be a gigantic hinderance to the Fed & Treasury
If there were huge, profitable, risk taking 'Investment Banks' on the list of entities that are standing in line for bailout money.

Goldman and Morgan, are effectively shedding the 'Stigma' of being a
Fat Cat, Elite, masters-of-the-universe, Bonus addicted, Investment Bank
and has over the weekend assumed the status of a regular blue collar banking operation.

Now, how much easier will the Fed. & Treasury task be in rallying Congressional support for the proposed $700Billion mortgage-based-asset Bailout ?!
I'd say the Fed/Treasury, with the weekend tactic of making Goldman & Morgan regular banks.... have just assured passage of the proposed bailout.

~warning~ this ploy is just a wolf in sheeps clothing, because just as quick as all 'investment banks' have disappeared from the roll of 'needy' bailout recipients---the two newest bank holding companies can request a return to an 'Investment Bank' status --of course after they have both unloaded all their toxic mortgage-paper and related derivitives
to the Gov't at an optimum price!

The game is afoot imho, but hey, i'm not a wall street strategist.

thanks

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Somethings going down with WAMU tonight. JPMorgan announced a 9:00pm est conference call. Look at the afterhours action on Washington Mutual (ticker WM). Will post some links when I get a chance later, and more clarity about what is going on.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

well, at 8:03 pm eastern CNN TV news
reports that WaMu has agreed to be bought by JP Morgan Chase.

i guess that Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley banks can't scoop them up now.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Here is what CNBC is reporting

From CNBC

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp will seize Washington Mutual and sell its deposits to JPMorgan Chase for an undisclosed sum, CNBC has learned. The deal is expected to be announced during a Thursday night conference call at 9:15 p.m. ET.

CNBC has been wrong before, but I doubt they would have went on air with something of this magnitude unless they were dead certain FDIC was involved. Bloomberg is also reporting it but they are sourcing it from CNBC.

Edit to add

This would be the largest bank failure ever I believe.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by jefwane]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

Jesus Christ.. WaMu failed? ..

700 billion did not come quick enough .. how will the investors take it on wall street..

I did not expect WaMu to be next.. I was honestly thinking Wachovia was next..

Anyone else notice a huge consolidation of the Banks.. with Chase and BOA leading the way in quickly growing assets handed to them by the Fed?

PS.. if your bank fails, or is sold, imo, your mortgage should be void..

[edit on 9/25/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

It's official - WAMU gone!

WAMU

I really thought all this stuff was on hold till after the bailout, and I did not get my FDIC alert on this one.

I am sure this will help the panic to get the bailout passed., and yes, it appears at this point there is a major consolidation of institutions going on which really is worrisome.

This failure should not affect FDIC Insurance coffers since they got JP Morgan Chase to take over their deposits, and I'm unclear what that means for the rest of their assets.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by Relentless]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Add another to the watch list?

CNN

HSBC Holdings, Europe's largest bank by market value, is cutting 1,100 jobs worldwide in the wake of the financial turmoil, a spokesman said Friday.

That's a big'n...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I just ran into rumours that Citigroup is the next domino to fall if the bailout is not signed.

Anybody else?

I predicted their demise some time ago: www.abovetopsecret.com... and it looks like it may finally happen.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
I just ran into rumours that Citigroup is the next domino to fall ...

equal odds on the names in the hat ->
Citigroup, National City, Wachovia......as the prey

there are Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, & JP Morgan/Chase
who are in the hunt for fresh carnage, (three predators+three prey)
BoA is still digesting Murrell to be in the hunt

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The next bomb will be Citigroup, heard this from financial industry people a few weeks ago already. Once that goes, you guys better start stocking up on food and water and firearms!!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wachovia, National City, Bank United (BKUNA), First Fed Financial are names I've followed that with the exception of Wachovia I thought would beat WaMu in swirling the bowl.

Though Citigroup probably deserves to be next, I'm pretty sure that like AIG it would be in the too big to fail department.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join