It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New View on the Atlantis Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Alright, this is another area of interest to me and I would like to see what others think about this.

I read a book not too long ago which spoke of this and I can kind of see where they're going with it.

Suppose that "Atlantis" wasn't necessarily an 'island' or separate continent all by itself, but instead a large nation that spanned parts of the world in pre-ice age times (10,000 years bce). I can provide the name of the book once I get back home, but it provides data to show where areas of the world would have been fertile that far back and provides a potential location for this "nation". Now - what if that nation had outposts in other parts of the world - ie - I saw a thread about a location underwater near Cuba. That's a possibility. What if what Plato spoke of wasn't necessarily the entire nation he witnessed destroyed, but instead a colony or outpost.

Furthermore, the author goes on to explain his views on the degradation of the materials used in the construction of materials - metal, wood, etc. I can provide the table later on, but it gives the approximate time it takes for substances to degrade into nothing over periods of time. If Atlantis did exist - all traces of it, save for things like the Sphinx and Pyramids (which many believe to be remnants of an anti-diluvian civilization) are gone.

There is also so much of the world we haven't even begun to touch - deep deep sea - what is under the ice in Antartica - many mountains and other sites where archaeology has yet to explore.

I don't know - I can kind of see where they are coming from - if such a civilization did exist, who is to say we would ever find "conclusive" evidence.

I'm just trying to generate conversation here. Look forward to the discussion!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Thats an intresting take on the idea, have heard of it before I think but cant remember where. I posted a thread yesterday that concerned us becoming the new Atlantis. Link here You may find it of intrest (you may not!)

I guess that south pole could well have been host to society at points thoughout the ages, Maybe with all this global warming going on we may even start to see signs of this as the ice melts away?

Regards

Paul

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yes I can't think of the name of that theory/book either. Sounds familar.

Materials don't degrade that fast and non matter what you do mankind leaves traces.

Even those who build in wood on sites where wood easily degrades-leave marks, in particular postholes .

Stone tools are also incorruptable as is pottery. Bodies of both prey and humankind if buried show population and the study of the bones what type of life they led and if DNA is present who they are related to. If they burn the bodies it leaves traces and lots of carbon. (teeth don't burn well)

Another sign of civilization is in the sediments of bogs and lakes - you can see the pollen change as man adapts the environment.

join