It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emotional intelligence in our lives.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
it was until not so long ago thought that IQ is the only thing that tells us how smart we are. IQ until not so long ago was supposed to be a completely accurate measurement of our ability to do things. I am aware that more studies are being done on what is called emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is probably more important in our lives than IQ. People who have strong emotional intelligence throughout their lives will more than likely have positive experiences than those with less emotional intelligence.

IQ tells us our ability to do work, but, it does not tell us how we think, how we feel, or why we have an emotion about something.

How much of a role do you think emotional intelligence plays in our lives? A major one? Is IQ more important in certain things like science? How do you think our lives will change with this new knowledge that we are getting about emotional intelligence?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

well for example in sats results they only judge your intelligence on how good your at at maths, science and english and stuff like that bnut i think it makes no difference how how smart you are..

are we really going to need all those things in our dailly life only to a degree and i think we should learn about more important things in life.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Well, I think EI is as important as I. Consider
- The ability of control your emotion can help you avoid rage, panic, low self-esteem, ... which is really useful for the business world, real relationship as well as for your own survival. This also gives you a happy life.
- The ability of understanding your and the other's emotion, why do they react like that? What contributes for their reaction? Why does this, that happen? What are the ones who did this thinking? which is an awesome ability, i think
- The abilily of managing your and the other's emotion, which is the most important and most useful feature of EI, which, of course, can help you to analyze other's need, their emotional weakpoint, their desire, ... allows you to use the power of fear and panic, confusion ..., managing conflict and know before-handedly the reaction of people when something happens. With this ability, you can even control the world without any knowledge of Maths or Science.

Really, if you are a man in Politics, Commerce, Finance, ... what more can you ask for? As IQ helps you in Natural Science, EQ helps you in Social Science, which is more important to me and those who do not find happiness in Natural Science.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think modern society is disgusting. As we continue to crash and burn and then return to more tribal ways of living, we will realize that Intelligence is secondary to emotions and passion.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I agree. Emotional intelligence is a big part of our lives. Humans are social animals. If we don't understand ourselves and the people around us, we are bound to make wrong decisions that can harm ourselves and the people around us.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I think the problem is trying to measure intelligence. We don't even understand what intelligence exactly is; there are so many types and it comes in myriads of varieties...it's insane to think we can test it.

Besides, measuring intelligence, whether emotional or not, leaves out willpower, determination, drive, and many more.

top topics

join