It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sooners on the board...Or oodles of okies

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
Welcome Bombeni. You're among friends, here. I don't get to Tulsa often. Always manage to get lost in T-town.

I don't know all the hot spots there but if I venture your way sometime, I'll rely on your good judgment. Good spots in Norman are BJ's (unfortunate name-good food), Panda Garden, The Monte.

I see your "friend" got a cool avie. Took me 2 years to finally get my avatar. LOL.

Have you been to the Oklahoma memorial downtown? Or the botanical gardens? There's also a cool rock-climbing place where, for 18$, you can spend the day bruising your knees on pointy rocks.
If it ever gets below 100 degrees here, maybe I could show you around. Bring Heike.

Whitewave now are you talking bout Norman or OKC, re the gardens and memorial? I have not been to those gardens in OKC but I have heard about them for years and should go sometime as I really love plant life, I have about 40 rose bushes, but they are so much work just kinda let them go this year (I feel I can admit that due to the thread someone started about everyone being so tired these days
, see I can hardly keep both eyes open). Finally we got a break in the heatwave here in Tulsa, well it got pretty warm today but the past few days were like heaven.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Hey Heike, yeah the weather change was so awesome! I love Fall weather that's what it almost felt like. Reminds me of the Tulsa Fair. Do you show horses or anything at the Fair? I think horses are so beautiful but I don't know much about them. When I was a teen a friend took me and my sister out to some land to ride, but my sister's saddle wasn't on tight enough and it turned to the side right after she got on and the horse took off for a stand of trees really fast and she got banged up pretty bad, that was my only real experience, was too scared after that. We laugh about it now though.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A Tulsa resident here. I've lived in Okmulgee and Oklahoma City areas too. We'll have to get together sometime.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sanity Lost

Hi Sanity Lost, glad to meet another Tulsan.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Howdy, SL. Glad you could join us. Lots of folks up Tulsa way.

Bombeni the restaurants I mentioned are in Norman and the Gardens and Memorial ( and rock climbing) are in OKC. The gardens are quite serene and beautiful. Bring a camera. Haven't been to the memorial yet myself. Still a bit of a open wound there. I took care of too many of the survivors for too long to go down there just yet. Guess it's about time, though.

If you're into shooting as a sport, Nicotine is quite the enthusiast and he's in your area.

Look forward to meeting some of my Okie neighbors.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Just checking in...I read the thread and wanted to suggest that if you have out-of-towners in, I like to take my company to the Tokyo Garden, and/or the Lone Star Steakhouse...Good eats(and I like to eat). You can almost always catch a good show at the Cain's as well...I have not been this year though.

Anyways, I too am glad to see all of us Okie's hangin in our own spot...:w:

About the horseback riding, half of the goal is to get back on if you fall off, the other half is getting where you are going whilst atop one of these majestic beasts...Enjoy

Have a good one guys...I'll be back soon...

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
List of a few others not previously mentioned:

MikeInOKC

Metamericguy

JebusOK

elmer

concernedmotherwatching

Strianissa

alorian

Montogoo

altfa

Watchful-Eye

theperfecttouch

I'd like to welcome all Okies to this thread and encourage people to get together to learn more about each other and this great state.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

I don't know what age group most of you are in, but were you around when the Girl Scout murders happened? That unfortunate event took place about 5 years after my last visit to Camp Scott. Gene Leroy Hart claimed on his deathbed he wasn't the killer, so it remains unsolved in many opinions.

The other mystery I don't know much about, but by coincidence it evolved in the same area, Locust Grove, is about the creature/s that supposedly roam in that area. There is a name for them and I can't recall it right now; the area was dubbed "Tent City" back in the depression (not information I gathered firsthand, LOL), and this is supposedly when the creatures started their killings. Someone else may know a lot more about that legend.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Are you talking about "skunk apes"? i.e. Bigfoot...The travel channel states that Adair, OK has the highest reported sightings each year in the U.S.

I believe it to be some of my family...but whateva.

Oh yeah...I'm 31. I do not remember the girl scout murders. I will look into it though.

[After edit]You could be referring to skinwalkers too...

[edit on 19-8-2008 by daddymax]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I remember the girl scout murders. Been a while. Of course, I'm so old I remember when microwave ovens were invented. LOL. Think I'll skip that trip down memory lane before I depress myself.

I go camping a lot and I've never seen any large footprints or signs of "bigfoot". Never heard any noises in the woods I couldn't explain. I know a lot of people swear bigfoot exists, and who knows?, maybe they're right. I've just never had any reason to believe it. I did use it on long trips through the country with my kids. Tell them to look out the window and let me know when they see Bigfoot. That usually kept them quiet and looking out the window instead of causing a riot in the car with each other. LOL. I dated a guy once that looked like bigfoot. Does that count?

Does anyone here go spelunking? I haven't gone since I left Arkansas (which is probably a better state for that sort of thing). Wouldn't mind going again, though.

What are some other hobbies that Okies are into?

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It probably is a Bigfoot type I used to hear about in that area.

I have never been spelunking, sounds like fun; I have been to a few caves that gave tours but nothing past that.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Freddie's steak house in Sapulpa but if you ever want to try the best steak in the area you should go there. Before your steak they bring several courses; first a veggie tray with humus dip, then the best tabouli you've ever eaten, then homemade cabbage rolls, then bbq ribs and bologna, then your salad. Then your steak and potato, or if you like lobster they have lobster kabobs that are unbelieveable. The price is around $20 and I have no idea how they serve all that for the price. If you go on Fri. or Sat. night be prepared for a wait, but well worth it.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Sorry to have been away for so long. My son has strep throat and I've been nursing him back to health.

Freddies in Sapulpa sounds yummie. I've never been but may have to try it out.

Missouri has the most caves of any state in America and new ones are being discovered all the time. Most are pretty small, granted, but there are several large ones that have train trolley tours through them. Pretty cool. Don't really know of any in Oklahoma. Need to check that out too, I guess.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Hey whitewave, I just found this thread. I don't ever come into BTS...just happened to find my way in here today.

I loved reading all your Oklahoma facts....found out that I was born the same place as the shopping cart...and probably born around the same time.

If we all get together sometime, count me in. I would love to meet some fellow Okies from ATS. Thanks for starting the thread! zippy

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Wow... an Okie thread. Great idea! And I can't remain silent on this one. lol

I'm from Tulsa, born and raised for 27 years. A HUGE Sooners fan, so you get a thumbs up on the thread title. lol

I would certainly be in if you do ever decide to get together. Lot's of great things to do in Tulsa.

I actually wrote a thread awhile back about the jet that dropped the bomb in Tulsa last year. There were a few other Okies that commented on it. I'm sure there are a lot that are unaware of this thread. But I'm glad to see there are so many this far. Keep it up...

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hi Zippy. Was wondering when you would meander over here. You live on a ranch don't you? Can't remember where. Glad to have you.

ETZ, welcome and I don't know how I missed you. An embarassing oversight on my part. Must've gotten tired somewhere around page 3000 of the members list. LOL.

I think getting together would be a wonderful idea. Seems like most of the members so far are from the Tulsa area so I guess Tulsa would be the most convenient place to meet. I have a decent sized place for meeting but it wouldn't be fair to make everyone drive down here rather than just me driving up there. I usually avoid Tulsa so am not familiar with the area at all.

Throw out some ideas folks, some times that are convenient or not and let's see if we can't get together.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Well.. there are LOTS of places to eat. IHOP has the big room you can reserve for lots of people. That would be fun, and who doesn't like eating pancakes at 7pm?! lol Just kidding.. you can have french toast too.

But seriously.. I think it would be a blast to get together, and everyone share thoughts. In fact, it could be an all nighter, so another great perk to IHOP. ha ha

Any other thoughts? I'm looking forward to it. Would have to be a weekend though.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Weekends are usually do-able. September too soon? There are a few weekends in September, eh?

I love IHOP. And pancakes are perfect anytime.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Tulsa is a long way from me. I live in Ardmore. Maybe sometime we can meet in OKC.

Yes, whitewave, I work on a cattle ranch. I was glad to see their were some horse lovers on here. And I love getting to know all these Okies. It IS a great state that we live in.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
OKC is more centralized. I just thought that all of the posters except me were in the Tulsa area.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Freddie's is pretty damn good...I LOVE the Hickory House in Sapulpa. Is it still open? I know they closed, but re-opened. I tell you what...as a fat guy I loved the $7.99 all you can eat BBQ deal. They used to laugh as my 6'8" 360 lbs. came in and ordered them to start cooking...

The Knotty Pine was good too...off of Charles Paige in Sand Springs...is it still open? Anyways, thanks for your submission. I will have to go to Freddie's again sometime.

Take 'er easy...

[edit on 25-8-2008 by daddymax]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join