It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker Loses Appeal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Seems Mckinnon has lost his appeal...for you guys that dont remember whos Mckinnon is he's the British Hacker who went digging in the Pentagons files looking for UFO information...anyhooo....heres the article www.foxnews.com... what do you guys think?

Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Just proves the fact that Britain is America's lapdog.

So much for British Justice.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I wouldnt say that statement is entirely true...this man did in fact break the law...should he not be punished accordingly?

Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Couldn't he have got the information from the freedom of information act anyway? Or are the laws of freedom of information acts different in America that in the UK?

Sounds to me he could have gone down a better rout, such as in the UK where people are trying to force the MOD to release all UFO cases to the public.

I do think that this shows there is something more to hide due to how the case has followed through! It will only be a matter time till we find out about Aliens and UFOs for deffinate anyway!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
now im not totally positive aobut the FOIA in the UK, but i wanna say its harder for them to get information on things then it is here in America...but of course i could be wrong...ill have to go research it really quick

Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
He broke the law yes, but I think they might be more concerned with what he might have found out or they may be a tad embarrassed that a bloke in London with a 56K dial up modem and some initiative managed to hack in to the military s and NASA's computers!

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
don't worry guys, Mr. Mckinnon will never go to jail, i am sure the government will use him.

they have a computer reserved for him.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
or they may be a tad embarrassed that a bloke in London with a 56K dial up modem and some initiative managed to hack in to the military s and NASA's computers!

I think you hit the nail on the head w/ that statement...thats exactly what i would think...i would be damn embarrased about someone breaking into my "hack-free" computer...considering all the money they spend on their security...id say its a tad bit embarrasing and they are making a example out of him sadly enough....

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by skept!cal
this man did in fact break the law...should he not be punished accordingly?

I think the key word there is "accordingly".

In this situation, the U.S. is attempting to extradite him with an "enemy combatant" status. Many people, including myself, feel that the strings attached to such a status would be far too excessive a punishment for the crime/s he allegedly committed.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I would think hacking into EXTREMELY sensitive systems such as the Pentagon (thats a huge National Securtiy Issue right their) and Nasa would be pretty hardcore offense's...now im not saying the guy should be executed or anything, but what he did was extremely dumb...and he didnt even pull ANY evidence of anything he supposedly saw...double dumb...if your gonna be hacking into things such as those you might as well copy some stuff....my dolla fiddy

Good Day
Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

...if your gonna be hacking into things such as those you might as well copy some stuff....my dolla fiddy

lol, exactly if your going to dig that deep you need to bring back the minerals or whats the risk for???

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The American government must be going on the assumption that he did copy files and is playing dumb.
I mean printscreen isn`t that difficult to do,and also admitting on that video that he had been doing it for years?
Ouch, this guy is gonna get stung.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I would think hacking into EXTREMELY sensitive systems such as the Pentagon (thats a huge National Securtiy Issue right their) and Nasa would be pretty hardcore offense's

Lets not sensationalize what he did. He didn't "hack" SIPRNet, or any other such secured network (where actual sensative info is stored). He used an open line, to machines on the "public internet", to gain access to computers that had not even been password protected.

The people using those computers left their pants down with their "junk" swingin' in the breeze; so they are just as much at fault here (if not completely).

If I leave my wireless network unsecured, and someone uses it for illegal purposes, guess who's legally responsible... me. Yet when they leave their own networks unsecured they expect to strip someone from another country of all rights by using "enemy combatant" status? Seems to be a bit of a double standard.

[edit on 7/30/08 by redmage]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What also has to be said is that the US didnt have to show ANY evidence to show that he committed the crimes he is accused of. This is how the extradition laws work between britain and the U.S.
The U.S has to prove nothing where as Britain has to supply evidence to get an American citizen extradited.
In the states hackers are put among violent prisoners, murderers and rapist and yet their crime is totally unviolent.
The powers of the world are scared of hackers as they can gain access to top secret files without physically being at the place they are targeting(unless they use social engineering).
They will make an example of him, i dont believe they will give him a job as they have their own people who know how to cover their tracks.

I think this shows that Britain needs America we are nothing anymore without them on our side but i think it is damaging are already tarnished reputation among other countries in the world and if America falls so will we.

He was looking for UFOs and yet the gov. say they dont exist so i wonder what will be said at the trial when they are asked to explain the picture that he saw, let me guess it will be a closed trial where he cant give any evidence and they US dont have to supply any they just decide how long he is to spend in jail.
No doubt he will be treated like a terrorist to gain the maximum sentence he can.
If he ever does get free it would be nice to know what they asked him when they "Interrogate" him.

One final thing, i,m pretty sure we dont extradite people to a country who torture people, thats why we are overpopulated with criminal immigrants.

Justice has not and will not be served!

[edit on 30/7/2008 by neo2012]

[edit on 30/7/2008 by neo2012]

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I recall someones signature here on ATS which really made sense...

"It's not what you know. It's what you can prove."

There are a lot of high profile people who are coming forward to reveal information that is important, before they pass on. Their data is one issue. Perhaps McKennon's dive into the "Rabbit Hole" compromised something so sensitive, the US is ready to put him in a small concrete room and watch him wither away.

He must have really stumbled into King Arthur's Court.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
so i guess explain that too me like im a 5 year old...its sounds to me as if your playing down what he did do...make no mistake on how he did it he still BROKE into the US Governments files...wether he did it public access or what not...he still knew damn well what he was doing and knew the consequences...you can hardly down play that

Skept!cal

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by skept!cal

I agree. We aren't exactly talking about petty theft here. The man is 40 years old, well aware of the consequences of his actions.

Although the conspiracy theorist in me wishes he would have found something..

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Dam, I feel sorry for that boy. He's going to get pimped
I'm sure he's heard all about the US Jails, lambs to the slaughter comes too mind. I can understand his plight, but at the end of the day, he knew what he was doing. He played the game and got caught out. Now he's got to face the consequences. Good luck to him. He's going to need it.

The USA authorities even offered him a pretty good deal to start with. I think they offered him three years. He turned it down.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
well, im guessing the US will get their hands on his computer to see what he knows.
I cant stop laughing that they got hacked from a 64 bit internet rate! On a simple desktop computer! Not even mastermind criminals with a lab full of high tech comps. Just a 40 year old man in his home
Funny is it not. The US must be so embarrassed, especially at how much time they spent making their computers 'un-hackable'

So funny!

I think we all diserve to know what life is out there in the Universe if the US know about it, whats the difference between a government denying life, to them denying life on earth such as an elephant! I think we have a right to know about what is out there! So what if they think people cant handle the truth, everyone who is alive at the time will have to find out about it one day, they cant keep up in the dark forever!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skept!cal

The lead Opinion, which the other four Law Lords agreed with, was written by Lord Brown of Eaton-under-Heywood, who served until last year, as the Intelligence Services Commissioner, so he is steeped in the Whitehall culture of "partnership" with the US Military and intelligence agencies.

Hmmm, so ... the Government is allowed to hide the UFO/ET/Free Energy truth from us for over 60 years using intimidation, lies and HOMICIDE and WE the people are supposed to "play fair" ? Hell with THAT !! Gary is a hero in my eyes and the folks at ATS, of ALL people, should be supporting him.

FREE GARY MCKINNON

GARY SPEAKING EXCLUSIVELY TO BBC RADIO

[edit on 7/30/2008 by Rek2008]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join