It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Lurking in Your Countertop? (Hint... It's radioactive)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

What's Lurking in Your Countertop? (Hint... It's radioactive)

www.nytimes.com

SHORTLY before Lynn Sugarman of Teaneck, N.J., bought her summer home in Lake George, N.Y., two years ago, a routine inspection revealed it had elevated levels of radon, a radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. So she called a radon measurement and mitigation technician to find the source.

“He went from room to room,” said Dr. Sugarman, a pediatrician. But he stopped in his tracks in the kitchen, which had richly grained cream, brown and burgundy granite countertops. His Geiger counter indicated that the granite was emitting radiation at levels 10 times higher than those he had measured elsewhere in the house.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wow...

So according to the article, it's not all granite, just some from some places; Brazil and Namibia.

I'll be getting mine checked Monday.

I searched ATS for this, but didn't find anything... Can't believe we missed this one.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Other than the NY Times article, I see nothing else in the MSM about this. Evidently it was also on a Morning TV show, but that's about it.

I wonder why? My house was built in 2005 and has beautiful Cecilia granite for not only the counters and the island in the kitchen, but also as the vanity in the master bathroom.

I'm chomping at the bit to by a radon kit tomorrow.

Anybody else concerned about their own granite counter tops?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Am I honestly the only one on ATS who has granite counter tops?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I thought the connection between granite and radon was common knowledge, but I thought it was all granite, not just granite from certain places. If that's true I'm sure NH residents will be relieved.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
most of the granite if not all in Portugal has radon in it.

in fact last year 47 new villas had to be redone due to the excessive levels of radon found in the granite,
they used it not just in the kitchen but on the floors and walls......can anyone say Radon coffin !!!!

snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Wow! Well, I'll be getting mine checked today.

Hopefully my warranty on the house covers the removal and re-installation if they come up bad.

top topics

join