It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making and setting a snare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I read through threads and see people talking 'eating out' and have not seen a 'how to make a snare' post yet.

So I made this very rough and ready thread just so people have the basics down, and will be able to actually catch some thing out in the wilds!

Making a snare. Use a good steel wire for this, as its rigid enough to stay in shape, and can really take a beating from an animal trying to escape.

This next image is how to set your snare. #NOTE# Always always make sure you have mapped out your snare locations and remember their locations. Check twice a day. Morning and eveninmg is best. Night time too.

Stabilise the snare with twigs or small sticks, and attach it strongly to your location, I use paracord for my sets. Takes a beating and its strain / breakage limit is 250 Kg.

Use nature to your advantage. Find areas that look well travelled by rabbits ect, and use terrain features such as gaps in hedges to place a snare. The animals have no choice but to travel through these areas just as we would have to, so, set it there and wait.

Please let me say this. Snares are a survival skill. They are intended for you to be able to catch and eat your prey. I despise people who do not take care over their snares and don't watch them like hawks. If you set snares, you have a duty to kill your prey quickly. In this, make sure you travel your snare patch regularly and never ever leave a snare and forget about it.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Excellent thread!

Funilly enough I was discussing thes with my mrs last week. I haven't done this since I was a little boy trapsing through the woods with my grandad, but its a skill that I think definitely needs rekindling becasue a) rabbits keep eating my elder saplings so I am going to eat them, and b) becasue one day TS might HTF and it'd be our best bet for a square meal.

Good tips mate, nice work.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
That seriously works? I'm a bit surprised

What other techniques are there?

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

What? to set a snare? err... thats all. Thats why its so brutal and effective. Simplicity.

No need for anything else as the rabbit wanders in head first, and wham, the noose shuts tight starving it of oxygen in less than 45 seconds. Then you got your dinner!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hey Dan once again excellent thread

I've been having a go at making these snares lately...Spring snare
They will only work if you have a sturdy branch near by to use as the spring but I like the idea of it, if the spring is strong enough it will lift the animal clear of the ground so hopefully it would minimize the risk of a fox or something else coming along and getting a free meal.

Gotta check them snares regularly...anything snared is fair game to another animal.

Edit: spelling + grammar

[edit on 28-7-2008 by fred3110]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Check this one. Plenty more in the archives covering multiple types of techniques.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 28-7-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Gonna have to second the info on this site. The improvised weapons from rubber bands, to sanres to fishing to the ammo can bbq grill. all golden.

www.therangerdigest.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Lol fair nuff, just thought it looked somehow easy to disturb & my rabbit tends to slink around a bit

edit: wow that wilderness wiki is the answer to my prayers

[edit on 28-7-2008 by Shar_Chi]

top topics

join