It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The word hello.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
How come the word hello has such a powerful effect on people? If you say hello in the right way when you meet someone new they'll feel at ease. If you don't say hello to someone at all they might not even talk to you. Why does this word "hello" have so much power over other people? It indicates that you want to talk to them or that you acknowledge their presence when you speak it to someone else. I've never really understood this. Is there some hidden history behind the word hello and how it has come to be that this word is as powerful as it is?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
If you say hello in the right way when you meet someone new they'll feel at ease. If you don't say hello to someone at all they might not even talk to you.

Last year, I read the book "The Games People Play". It presented an interesting way of looking at social interactions that I think will help you a little...maybe...

It presented social interaction as a tally system. Example:

Joe says "hi" to Steve. (Joe gets a point. Joe has more points than Steve. Steve needs to say something back.)

Steve says, "Hi!" (+1 point) and "How are you?" (+2 points)
(Joe: 1 Steve: 3)

Joe says, "I'm doing okay." (+1 point) "Hey, I'm in a hurry so I have to go." (+1 point) "Bye!" (+1 point)

(Joe: 4 Steve: 3)

Joe has more points than Steve at the end of the conversation. This will make Steve more likely to interact with Joe later. The difference at the end is only 1 point so it's no big deal that the score is uneven...kinda like a social IOU.

Now, if Steve said hi (+1 point) and Joe chose to ignore him (-1 point), the score would be 1 and -1, a 2 point difference. Larger differences can lead to social tension.

And the whole thing that set the game in motion was the word "hi".

I'm not sure that this helps any, but I thought it might be worth putting out there.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
How come the word hello has such a powerful effect on people? If you say hello in the right way when you meet someone new they'll feel at ease. If you don't say hello to someone at all they might not even talk to you. Why does this word "hello" have so much power over other people? It indicates that you want to talk to them or that you acknowledge their presence when you speak it to someone else. I've never really understood this. Is there some hidden history behind the word hello and how it has come to be that this word is as powerful as it is?
you answered the question your self people want acknowledgment of there presence, and it goes both ways.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It's like any old positive word. Thank you and your welcome have the same effect I'm sure. With so much negativity in this world a little goes a long way.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
i isn't just the word hello but a nod can take its place I use it passing friends in the hall; it is just a front for a meaning understood by many

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
"Hello" is an opening opportunity for kindness. Hello offers a positive communication that says "I am a nice person". Hello, is a question to another. You must answer back in some way in order to keep the social law. It says "I notice you" "I see you there" "I validate your existence". "I am willing to communicate with you". It isn't a point system in any real sense, except to gauge how a person reacts you your expression of it. You can sense through reaction and body language whether or not some one is receptive to you. It is a gauge of friendliness, openness, and social competence and confidence. Rats say hello by yawning. It is a sign of mellowness and lack of aggression. Dogs lick the face of a higher ranking dog to show respect. Sniffing butts is their "hello". Just think of the alternatives... Would you rather see people yawning all over the place, or sniffing butts?

top topics

join