It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House members call for draft! Really.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Some Democrats Urge Broad U.S. Military Draft

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two leading House of Representatives Democrats called on Tuesday for bringing back the military draft, saying political leaders would be more wary of sending troops to Iraq if their children were going to help do the fighting.

The Bush administration quickly dismissed the idea as unnecessary and unwise, and it was expected to gain little traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Reps. Charles Rangel of New York and John Conyers of Michigan, both Korean War veterans, said the nation must debate whether it should continue with a fighting force comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

This articles from the Washington Post came out this afternoon. The notion of a draft to me is a scarry thought, but those who called for it in the house are good for the questions their asking.

I don't know if you guys have talked about reinstating the draft in the United States, but everyone who's eligible should think about how they feel about this issue. What do you think about this article or the possibility, real or not, of a required military service?

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think those Democrats are stupid, and should be removed from office in place of Republicans

Not because I'm against a possible draft if WHEN the time merrits it.

But because their logic is so flawed, that it only proves them to be super idiots.

The Draft sure didn't stop politicians in Vietnam!!! A much more unpopular war than what is to come.

Sincerly,
no signature

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It's a stupid ploy by anti-war people. They figure if they scare the public, then the public will stop our future attacks on Iraq and possibly on North Korea.

The military would be worse off if a draft was in effect. The draft will only be used when the military can't handle a war currently taking place....and that's not a good thing.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I like the idea.

In fact, I think they should have a mandatory draft of any elected or appointed public official's children (not everyone; just public officials.) And I'd love to see how loudly Bush rants when his darling twins are serving in Korea and in the Gulf.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Stupid, stupid idea. Their motives and reasons behind it are PATHETIC. If we needed a draft for REAL reasons than I'd be for it. These democrats are �politicizing.'

The nation is much, much better off with a volunteer force - people that WANT to be there.

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I think you who responded that they were stupid for their remarks should be asked if they have ever been in military service and more importantly in a conflict where their lives were at risk. I want to hear from those that served in the Korean War or Vietnam War.

How can you speak to if the country should send its youth to war without themselves having gone through what the youth would?

posted on Jan, 8 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
cursedag - I'm an officer in the US Air Force...soon to be a Major. I don't want to be chasing down hippies and losers in my unit who don't want to be there. Spending my time handing out Article 15s, LORs, etc to draftees who don't want to be there is a waste of my time and makes the unit inefficient.

It's a joke that people with NO military experience and/or distaste for the military want to tell us how to run things. Stay out of our business and get out of our way....

posted on Jan, 14 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Democrats wrong on the draft issue:
www.washtimes.com...

I am glad the Pentagon created this report - but, at the same time it probably cost money just to challenge a few idiot congressman that made some ignorant claims from the get go.

(The report basically says what MT69 just said
)

[Edited on 14-1-2003 by Bob88]

top topics

join