It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toyota Patents a Quantum Motor

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Surely if what you say is right about this being a duplication of a known technology in the public domain, Then any patent would be null and void ?

Is that correct ?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I personally, think this is great for Japan and Toyota. Japan has a massive population, almost 1/2 of the U.S., and virtually no resources, except those that there fleet bring in. The import everything. If Toyota started selling these cars with these motors, the Japanese government would push to get these types of cars as the only cars in japan. It eliminates pollution in the cities, eliminates there need for Oil, and makes the machinization that more independent.

I hope Toyota not only makes this, but sells millions of them in Japan, and brings them to the U.S. It would make them the largest Car company 2 fold for years to come.

Just my 2 cents,

Camain

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Uh, sure this is an intriguing invention and all, but let's not miss a fundamental point:

There's no evidence that this 'quantum magnetic-shifting effect' is more energy efficient than electrical or combustion-driven motors.

The patent describes a method of coating a surface with a thin film of a substance that, when exposed to correctly-tuned light energy, can change its magnetic properties quickly. This allows, in a rotary engine, more or less attraction/repulsion effect to be expressed, from different points on the rotor's radius, as it turns, 'driving' the motor.

HOWEVER, the amount of light energy required to cause this effect, and the amount of force the resulting magnetic field exerts, MUST be more efficient than traditional methods, if this patent is to prove practical and useful.

I sort of doubt that's the case, with this first-generation effort. However, I'm hopeful for the future.

Edit to add: Also, look at the patent closer -- this effect can be used to generate mechanical energy from solar power, which can then be turned into electrical energy, so it can be used as a generator, as well as a motor.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by Ian McLean]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Some of the description sounded a bit like an attempt to utilize the strong nuclear force with the description:

As a (sic)retsult of substitution with metal atom, a hole is generated within a molecule. Magnetization of the material can be carried by electron migration in the space or by change in the electron spin in the space.

But then I realized they didn't say 'atomic' they said molecule.

Your description of using it to achieve a kind of 'super-conductivity' action, or rapidly fluctuating or shifting magnetic field makes sense to the layperson.

I'd agree that in devices like this you have to carefully look at where they are dumping energy into the device - here the light source, and make sure that it isn't a net loss rather than a gain of energy.

I also looked up quantum electrodynamics, but not sure that's related.

Whoever mentioned 'patent fluffing' sounds diabolic, but searches got nowhere. However it sounds like a real way of doing overt industrial espionage. Bummer!

Great topic!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Yes I would agree that there seem to be no nuclear-force effects with what they're describing. WRT the (sic) typos, please note the excerpts on page one are my typing a transcription of the patent; typos are mine, awkward English is probably the result of a foreign-language translation in the original patent. Oh, an in my previous post on this page, I mean 'along the circumference' instead of 'along the radius'.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
My brother, who worked for General Motors for years, told me about an entire area which acts as a vault that has amazing inventions in it for engines that can get 90-100 or more miles per gallon. THey keep those inventions locked up so nobody else will ever get to them. They have extremely tight connections with all the oil companies.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Oh, ok, wasn't sure that was you or the copywriter, showing a rushed application. (which was why I did that).

Sorry, haha.

Hey, great job on translating that into lay-speak. What is your background, if you don't mind my asking. I starred you and I think you deserve an applause for your contributions here. (mods?)

On the patent fluffing I did find 'patent hogging which is in an article related to Microsoft. (FWIW)

So this is a rotary engine using the peculiarity of this chemical reaction? I think we need a glossary of terms to understand it, and I'd do one, but I'm not sure where to start.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
A patent will only prevent you from MARKETING ideas and tecnology. If you find a patented motor and wish to duplicate it for private use you may do just that (though you will not be "street legal").

I have been snagging and engineering other peoples patented ideas for 20 years, and though most are bunk, a few are very interesting. H2O2, and Mag-drives show some promise and the cyclonic wind turbine will work but it would tend to interfere with air traffic as the cyclone is roughly a F 1-2 tornado that can cause turbulents that may reach up to 1500km high.

Oil and motor companies have no legal way of preventing you from using tecnology privatly, just don't try to scoot around town in your warp drive car. If they want to sit on the tecnology, that's ok, patents are public record and free energy (I use the term lightly) should be just that, free.

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

This 'Toyota way' called 'lean manufacturing' is finding its way into the medical laboratory.

Problem is it's very 'sweat shop' like. They put one person in the center of a core of machines, no chair, no phones, no cell phone and no computer and they just toil for two hours non-stop, then switch out and someone else goes in the hell hole.

A lot of people quit over this, and many retired. Guess that was their plan. If you criticize it or complain you get written up. No negativity. I'm glad I got out of the field before this happened. Everyone hates it from the supervisors on down.

However like the 'boiling frog' method, (you put the frog in hot water and he'll jump out, but if you put him in cold water and slowly heat it up, he cooks.) they'll just weed out the people, reduce the staff to nothing and when people quit they'll hire new ones to burn out, or find dupes that will put up with this or come to view it as normal.

Don't know how it is where you are but beware.

Here's a related document. 14 Principles of the Toyota Way.

(PDF) www.si.umich.edu...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
What is your background, if you don't mind my asking.

Not at all -- with regard to physics, perpetual student, currently playing the role of professional dilettante.

I'd never heard of phthalocyanine -- interesting molecule. Here's the Wikipedia page on it; you can clearly see where the 'holes' they're talking about are -- enough to fit a tiny bit of iron or other magnetic element into, with well-balanced attraction from all directions to hold it steady. They're talking about laying down layer upon layer of this stuff to make a magnetically responsive coating.

Searching for phthalocyanine is interesting, NASA has some interesting research results; there's even a phthalocyanine.com.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Wow, this sounds really good! I really hope that Toyota will follow through and make it available to everyone, can't wait if they do
. Hope it's energy efficient and good for the environment too

Imo, Japan always come up with cool technology! (and cool fashion, but that's beside the point)

I think it's better for Japan to have and develop this technology than the U.S, I'd trust Japan more, but that's just me. If it's the U.S with this tech (they probably have it anyway right?) they're more likely to keep it from us.

Edit: to elaborate it a bit more

[edit on 27/7/2008 by Sparkly_Eyed777]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
What kind of car company wants to sell you a car that doesn't break down and doesn't have consumables? None. They are in the business to make money and unless they can find a way to make this thing have failures within a period of time (usually after it's warantee is gone) so it can be replaced. Car companies are out to make money and it very doubtful they would make an engine that could last without repairs. Another good analogy is domain name fluffing. People that buy domain names in bulk so that if a company wants the name because they don't own it yet they have to buy it from the person usually at a high price. I can see the benefits for creating this type of power supply for the energy it can produce, But i don't see a company producing it for mass public for purchase.

-Aza

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I always thought it would be better to create a monopole somehow, maybe find a way of dampening the other pole, with a monopole all sorts of perpetual machines would be possible.

A man can dream...

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I always wondered if "Bismuth" could be used in some way to distort a magnetic field to an advantage in a magnetic motor......Though I'm really not clever enough to understand these things.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by camain
I hope Toyota not only makes this, but sells millions of them in Japan, and brings them to the U.S. It would make them the largest Car company 2 fold for years to come.

back in the day...
I had a 1974 Corona SR5. I converted it to a Rally car... the interior looked like an airplane with a consol in the roof with lights and airvents etc...(standard equipment 1974-76) (I miss that car... it did not meet specs to import it to the states when I moved
)

The point here is that Toyota produced TWO engines for it..

One was the 18RC which came in this Corona and the Celica... Powerful engine was a classic with a 5 speed..

Well in JAPAN you could get the rare 18RG version...
The 18R engine is an overhead cam, overhead valve engine with 4 inline cylinders. Twincam versions (18R-G, 18R-GU, 18R-GEU) use twin overhead cams in an alloy head. The 18R-G, 18R-GR and 18R-GU use twin Mikuni Solex sidedraft PPH40's with the same bolt pattern as Weber DCOE's.

This engine was only available by ordering it from wreckers in Japan and rebuilding it... but it was standard issue in Japan and used in taxi cabs...

I won't get into what that thing was capable of but the point here is that Japan goes its own way on Car design... unfortunately with our import laws we don't always get the benefit

I will add that despite the power of the RG it surpassed emission controls and gave 50 mpg on normal driving It had to pass as Rally vehicle need to be street legal... Gas efficiency dropped a tad when you... well you get the picture

[edit on 27-7-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Lol, I already came up with nearly the exact same thing Toyota did, and I didn't even graduate from highschool. I came up with a veration of that about a year ago, the thing is, I don't have the money, time or support to do it. My motor would be a little weaker, but would be able to sustain it's self for about 200-300 years without a polarity winddown. I think the Toyota motor will be able to sustain it's self for about twice as long though, simply because it's using monopolar magents and not bipolar ones.

I kave an idea that they have'nt figured out yet, but I almost have.

It uses no magents, just wiring, a battery (to jump start it), after it's powered up, it will never stop, well unless you actually physically stop it, but it too would winddown, simply because of friction though.

-Jimmy

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
Wait a second here..
isnt this precisely what George Green "invented", which has been independantly duplicated with success on youtube, that he debuted with on the Project Camelot interview he made..

Best way to stop home inventors is beat them to the patent office... that is one bad side of free speech...

NEVER talk about it till you have something in writing.. but it is expensive to file international patents

Been looking at the other patents cited..

Abstract of JP1103178
PURPOSE:To reduce the size of a power generator, by heating a portion of a magnetic body arranged in magnetic field and making permeability thereof uneven temporarily. CONSTITUTION:A magnetic rotary board 1 is fixed to a rotary shaft 2 and rotates freely while being supported through bearings 3a, 3b. Permanent magnets 4a, 4b are secured at the opposite sides of the rotary board 1. A heater comprises a laser oscillator 5 and an optical fiber 6. When a motor is rotated, a heating pattern signal 10 is produced from a pulse generator 9 based on a control signal 8 fed from a controller 7, and the laser oscillator 5 is operated based on the heating pattern signal 10. Consequently, laser beam is projected onto the surface of the rotary board 1 to form a local high temperature zone 11 so as to retard passage of flux thus producing force in the direction departing from the permanent magnets 4a, 4b and rotating the rotary board 1 in the direction of an arrow 12.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Is that similar in its design to the "Faraday Disc" ?

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Looks like... remember though that is from an old patent... I am tracking the citations backwards to see where they took the concept from

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join