It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mechs.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I wonder if our army would ever create a Mech or some sort of Metal Gear. Maybe we will get tiny one person mechs. Anyone have any information on any projects like that?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Hmm i have asked this same question about a thousand times, the same answer will be NO, too pricey.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
How about those cargo waldos/exoskeletons.. like the ones in Aliens???

Those might be feasible.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
The logistics of making it would require to much RD and money and furthermore you want sleek slim things that are low to the ground and thus draw less fire, you put up a clunky mech and you create a large area to target.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
i dunno...

i still like to think that Japan has a few mechs in their protoype laboratories.

the tactical advantage that mechs would provide are amazing.

but the pragmatists are right. it would be too costly and too bulky for conventional warfare. but in the future, it is likely that mechs will replace tanks as the need becomes necessary to fight unconventional warfare

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
i dunno...

i still like to think that Japan has a few mechs in their protoype laboratories.

Are they made out of plastic, cause dont they spend about as much on defense as a nation as Mississipi spends on road repairs?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think the closest thing to a mech would be infantry powersuits. No doubt the military would design a giant mech. prototype eventually but I don't think they would find it practical and cancel the program like they did with the comache.

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by gooking]

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by gooking]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

Are they made out of plastic, cause dont they spend about as much on defense as a nation as Mississipi spends on road repairs?

seriously though, how do you know for sure that the numbers being publically reported are completely true? are you part of or in bed with the highest levels of the financing ministry of Nippon? probably not. furthermore, on what scale are you comparing this to? The US military budget? You cannot do that because Japan is focused on tactically defensive programs, unlike the US's broader spectrum of the massproduction of vehicles and arms. such programs will always be expensive because of the consumable factor (fuel, ammo, etc) as well as the materials factor (metals, polymers, compounds, etc used)

What I mean is that, essentially, one directed energy weapon deployment area will provide the amount of firepower as a hydrogen bomb would (but in a cleaner, more concentrated fashion) but will cost significantly less than a program that produces such bombs. Spending money on a few mechs wouldn't cost too much money, at least when comparing it to an M1 Abrams tank maintenance program.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
Spending money on a few mechs wouldn't cost too much money, at least when comparing it to an M1 Abrams tank maintenance program.

On a few mechs yes but this becomes impratical as you mass develop, Id think the costs to repair the hydraulics, new alloy armors, and electronics involved in a mech would outrun the maitenance for 10,000 Abrams in the long run. The more new the tech is the more it cost to keep up an running.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by groovyguru
How about those cargo waldos/exoskeletons.. like the ones in Aliens???

Those might be feasible.

that is called an IRON MAN, an exosuit that is made of steel and heavy. Basically because it has arms, implemants can be installed such as 30 mm gattling guns or maybe a grenade launcher on the right arm and extra ammo on the left like in Armored Core 2 and 3.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I could see suped up body suits. They could have detachments put onto the arms as guns and such. The future warrior will no doubt have some high tech outfit on. It would greatly improve the vision and hearing of the warrior.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This was on Drudge a few days ago.
Robotic Legs Could Produce Super Troops
This leads me to believe that it is feasible that somewhere in the future of combat, there will be exo-suits that carry troops and weapons platforms into combat more efficiently.
EDIT: Picture added.

Can you see a pair of 30mm Vulcans mounted on gyro-stabilized swing-arms or what !?!

[Edited on 3-13-2004 by darklanser]

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why not just 14.5MM Machineguns? Good enought to deal with most threats, and can penetrate alot of armored vehicules.

EDIT: Here is the pic of Hardiman, a 1960ies Powered Exoskeleton for moving freight.

[Edited on 3/13/2004 by necro99]

[Edited on 3/13/2004 by necro99]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   
A bit of trust in the machine would be needed to man one of those things. What if it decided to go a bit nuts and hyperextend the arms due to a bug or something...

ouch

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
would you like to know more ? that is now ....arms are later.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
could u imagine the size of the rounds for the weapons for those mechs?

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Blue Factor was an anim that had a very cool mech that looks like it could accualy happen.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
the only problem with BFR "Big F'ing Robots" is just that they are huge , it takes too much to power them the controls would be ridiculously hard to use and 1 precision munition and your billion dollar suit is gone

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This isn't quite what I picture when 'mech' comes to mind. But it did remind me of this. This is the latest in robotics. Can you imagine if this was used against us!?

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 18-9-2009 by drac88]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Creating humanoid mechs is Technically Impossible since it requires material that as strong as human bones, however creating insectoid mechs is more plausible.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join