It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stellarium V's Worldwide Telescope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Hi,
I am an amateur star gazer and am looking at buying a telescope or maybe binoculars...The reason I want a telescope is so I can take pictures and maybe used a motorised system for star tracking....

What I really want to know is what software out of the two people use and easy it is to use....how do you connect software to hardware and do you have a particular liking to either Stellarium of WWTS...also, is there other software out there?....

What are the benefits over one to the other....

Many Thanks....

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
OK, so I take it no one uses it...nevermind !!!....

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Dude, you waited four hours. Give people some time, settle down. This is probably the wrong forum anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

I couldnt find anywhere else to put it but Ill be patient.....

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
HEY!
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread!
I wrote an article a while back about Stellarium... I'll give you the link.

Stellarium : by Johnsky

I included pictures of the program.

I don't have a comparison article made for WWT yet, I wrote this article on Stellarium for Linux users primarily. WWT isn't available for Linux.

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Thanks for that - I find both programs fascinating and have got the kids learning about stars from Stellarium...the close ups of star in WWT are better and theres a lot more you can do with WWT....but, as Im a learner Im sticking to Stell at the moment...

I have to disagree with you on one point about not needing a telescope....Nothing beats seeing something live than on a computer but great blog anyway...

Cheers...

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by booda

lol, that's why I said "If you're sort of into stargazing... but sorta-not-really..."

... as in, you're curious, but can't be bothered to actually get a telescope.

I completely agree. If you ARE into stargazing, get a telescope. But if you're not really all that interested, and temporarily curious, Stellarium and WWT help.

top topics

join