It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says he wouldnt support surge if he could, MSNBC agees.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This is just amazing, because anyone who knows anything about Iraq knows that if we would have left before the surge, Iraq would have spiraled in to ultimate chaos. It was the surge that convinced the sunnis to join us to fight AQ and drive the bad guys north and east. To the point that they are a much smaller threat now. The fact Obama says he wouldn't support this if he could go back, shows that he has o clue what hes talking about. Leaving Iraq at that point or any point before the job is done, only serves our enemies. Just look at how Somalia went when we left.

Trust me, My brother is a Marine in Ramadi and at this time in 2006 that place was in a constant state of urban combat. Since the surge, the place as been completely quiet. There was a single car bomb when he got there back in April, but sine than its been quiet.

Apparently, MSNBC's David shuester thinks nobody cares about surge success. Its like I've always said about liberals in the media. If reality doesn't pan out their fantasy's, they simply make it up in their head. To David shuester, we were supposed to have already lost that war. Since we haven't, he will simply blow it off and dismiss it.

newsbusters.org...

he things people will do for love. Take David Shuster. So eager is the Obama inamorato to cover for his man, he's willing to sacrifice all semblance of reason. Faced with the implacable fact that Obama was wrong in opposing the surge, Shuster has been reduced to claiming that Americans don't care about the surge's success. Shuster made his descent into abject sycophancy on today's Morning Joe. The jumping off point was a clip from an interview of Obama by ABC's Terry Moran [Brent Baker has the full report on the interview here].

TERRY MORAN: If you had to do it over again, knowing what you know now, would you support the surge?

OBAMA: No, because, keep in mind that-

MORAN: You wouldn't?

OBAMA: Well, no, keep in mind, these kinds of hypotheticals are very difficult. You know, hindsight is 20/20. But I think that, what I am absolutely convinced of is that at that time, we had to change the political debate because the view of the Bush administration at that time was one that I just disagreed with.

After a clip was aired of McCain hammering Obama on his opposition to the surge, Shuster slipped on the flippers and goggles.

EDIT: I find it ironic that he sees the "bush way" as "narrow minded and not looking at Iraq and not focus on the broader issues".

The fact is, its Obama that is being narrow minded. He wants to please his left wing supporters, so he wants to get out in 16 months. What affect will that have on the success we have made? He doesn't care,, because hes narrow minded and not looking at broader issues.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I saw this yesterday and I have to say, I think he just made a gigantic mistake. Most people in this country believe that the surge has ultimately been a successful strategy. While I understand that he's trying to maintain consistency with his past statements, there comes a point in time when you have to acknowledge reality when it smacks you in the face.

The reality? Barack Obama and the Dems were very wrong on this issue. I think that people would largely forgive that stance if they'd just admit that they're wrong, but to continue down that path of opposing the surge itself (though perhaps not the results) is treading dangerous water politically, IMO.

[edit on 22-7-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

I couldn't agree more. The denial of Dems to see the surge strategy as anything other than successful could be their Achilles heel this Fall. Not only did they oppose it, they eventually voted for it by various funding bills and the appointment of Gen. Petraus. For them to still claim it was not the correct strategy is foolish. By any set of measurements you want to use, it has been successful.

This is the kind of thing that makes the Dems look weak on foriegn affairs and defense. They can't bear to admit that they were wrong to not give the surge strategy a chance. And now that it is successful they still are clinging to fixed shedules of withdrawal rather than letting the situation on the ground dictate drawdowns.

They are so beholden to the antiwar left that they are fearful of losing their support. If they are fearful of the antiwar crowd, one wonders how fearful they would be of Al Quedda if they were totally in charge.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Guess he shares the same trait as Bush. Bush doesn't admit he is wrong either. Maybe Obama is the one who is going for a third Bush term. They both lie, both don't admit when their wrong, and both talk a bunch of BS just to give people what they want to hear.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Can't say I'm surprised.

The fact is Obama and a majority of the Democrats still believe that the American public agrees with them that "the war is lost" and that "the surge has failed".

In reality, the people in this country realize the surge was a success and that we are winning this war. A lot of them are also realizing just how terribly they treated our troops and generals during that process.

I hope he keeps making comments like this.

top topics

join