It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advertisements in State Correspondence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I just opened a letter from the DMV. In the envelope, along with the official communication, were two glossy advertisements. To be honest, I am offended that my tax dollars are being used to send private ads. It's gotten to the point where you can't just "shut off the TV." No matter where you go, you are bombarded by ads. No wonder people's brains are melting, and they fold to bad decision-making.

The first ad, while I am still offended by it, at least makes some sense. It is an ad from State Farm insurance. In NY State, as it probably is in all states now, auto insurance is required by law. Still, I don't see why State Farm should have the advantage, even if they paid for it, of being included in an an official state communication sent via the US Postal Service.

The second one pissed me off to no end, having been forced into bankruptcy a few years back. It's an ad from Discover card. I don't need a damn credit card and I don't want one. Haven't they screwed up enough lives already? Haven't they done enough to drive this economy right into the ground? And now my very own state government is shoving it right in my face that they are helping them do that. I wish I could take this ad and pound it right back up their tailpipes.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I agree exactly. I started to work for the State of Ohio 11 years ago and they gave me a brochure for Bank One with my orientation materials. I asked them what it was for and they suggested that I have my check automatically deposited into the bank. I asked them if the State of Ohio was endorsing Bank One and they denied it but it was obviously so. I was really offended. They were not just twisting my arm to automatically deposit my money they were "suggesting" where I should deposit it. Since then they have made it mandatory that I must use direct deposit. I just don't see how this is legal but it is (at least in Ohio).

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I don't know for sure.

That said,

I would bet the DMV is getting paid to send out those advertising papers.

I see the same in my B of A monthly statements.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I don't know for sure.

That said,

I would bet the DMV is getting paid to send out those advertising papers.

I see the same in my B of A monthly statements.

if not directly paid, then a commission on any business received as a result of the mailers. I don't know if this is the case but would make sense. your tax dollars are definitely not going towards advertising for these companies. your tax dollars are pissed away in many other areas.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

...your tax dollars are definitely not going towards advertising for these companies.

Not directly no. But I still see it as a conflict of interest and unethical that ads should be allowed to piggy-back on the tax-payers dime in an official correspondence.

EDIT to add: What next, the White Castle White House, the Pepsi Pentagon? Scary, but not too far off in left field I don't think.

[edit on 7/21/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Since then they have made it mandatory that I must use direct deposit.

I had a manager that convinced everyone in the store to use direct deposit, except for me. During the big Blackout here in the Northeast, no one got paid until the following week. But I got my check on time. Not quite sure why or exactly how that worked out, but it did in my favor.

There also have been times when I had a problem with the bank, and was glad that they couldn't hold my paychecks until the problem was resolved. One issue I had took months to resolve. Who can afford to go months without their paycheck?

top topics

join