It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denying Ignorance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The first thing that some of you will do when this post loads is check my registration date. Yep, I'm new to ATS. However, I've been "around" since I was running the BBS for my local Commodore 64 users group, so this ain't my first rodeo (or forum).

A few days ago I started a thread about my own UFO encounter. It happened a long time ago, when I was a child in fact, but it's quite real and a bit unusual so I thought it might be worth posting. My thread received not one single reply. I was discouraged, a little hurt, and disappointed. Were I not a mature adult - and quite determined to make a place for myself here at ATS (hey you, move over a little and let me in!) - I would very likely have just given up on ATS and gone somewhere else. And THAT, folks, is EXACTLY how we need to deal with these Trolls and the garbage they are cluttering up the forums with.

In the few days I've been here, I've seen quite a few inane and pointless threads. I've also seen a few threads complaining about the inane and pointless threads. I've also seen some quite funny satire, some witty sarcasm, some thinly veiled insults, and some disgust and annoyance expressed in writing. Yes, you're having a bit of fun. Yes, you're showing all of ATS that you're too smart to be fooled by this clown. Yes, you're venting your feelings and giving your opinion. Yes, you're 'racking up' the points. Yes, you're feeding the Troll.

You see, Trolls are like fairies in at least one respect. They thrive on people believing in them, paying attention to them, and thinking about them. When they are ignored and people pretend they don't exist, they tend to fade away rather quickly.

So, here's my proposal. All of you (dare I say all of us?) who want to spend more of your ATS time being intellectually or emotionally stimulated and challenged and informed about serious topics and less time wading through BS, don't feed the trolls! When you see a thread that is inane, ridiculous, and a waste of your time, just hit your back button or close the tab and move along. There's really nothing to see here, anyway.

If enough people will get behind this effort and stop rewarding the trolls with replies, they WILL go away. Just yesterday I was reading a thread here that mentioned negative attention being better than no attention at all. That's quite right, in my opinion. The worst thing you can do to someone who's a bored kid looking for cheap thrills, someone with no life looking for attention, or someone who just wants to poke their figurative stick into the freakazoid CT cage to see how they react is not give them any attention at all. Even a negative reply gives them a foot in the proverbial door and way to start a discussion (argument?).

The ATS motto is "Deny Ignorance," right? Well, in my opinion these Trolls are IGNORANT and we should DENY them what they want!

And yes, before someone points it out, I too am guilty. I just fed a Troll not long ago and didn't think better of it until after I'd hit the post button. But I'll do my best not to do it again, and I hope you will, too.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Flagged.
I thought this would be another thread whining.
It's not.
I applaud you.
With the UFO and Alien forum, yes..we see so much trash, that we often overlook the real stuff.
Iam guilty of that.
I will go and read your story. Not because you posted here, but because actually I have avoided the forum for awhile for the very reasons you stated here.
A new member you may be, but a welcome one.
AD
PS..Love the Calvin & Hobbes Avatar!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Thanks. I've noticed that many very awesome threads get few or no replies. IMO, this shouldn't be discouraging to the OP! Sometimes there just isn't much for readers to add to a topic, and of course sometimes things fall between the cracks.

Here's something I've done, when considering some of my own less 'successful' threads -- instead of looking at number of replies, look at the number of views. Then, imagine even half that number of people, standing in an auditorium, choosing to hear what you have to say, without a single one criticizing you. Not disappointing at all, when you think about it that way.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, thank you both very much, but it honestly wasn't my intent to get you all to feel sorry for me or reply to my old thread. It was just a really convenient case in point to demonstrate why I think not replying to the BS threads will reduce the trolling.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
flagged as well.

damn man, most people trying to prove the pint you did, would go about the wrong way, i.e. attacks on specific individuals, cussing, ect. You handled the situation in a mature and civil manner. Which make people want to read on and see how your feeling, rather than warn, ban, or attack you, adding further drama.

As for the you not getting any reply's...

your right. There is a lot of trolls on here receiving more replies for they're crap than for valued and respected members contributions to the forum.

You have to remember though, ATS is a big place. sometime it takes a while for staff to get to it and take care of the issue. And during that time, it may get a bit heated. If I see something on the forums that makes me angry, I do one of two things.

1. Take a break, and calm down

2. Stay away from that thread and avoid contributing to the drama and keep myself out of trouble.

Anyway, good thread, man. Take care, my friend.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
excellent post heike!! and glad to see you here

top topics

join