It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young People Listen Up - Conscious HipHop, Rap WITHOUT a Capital C

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Freestyle Art of Rhyme is an awesome documentary!

And also, as far as agreeing witih the lyrics, no, i don't agree with everything that someone i like says, or even their message sometimes, but for me, artistic style will sometimes transcend that if i'm really feeling the style.

I don't like or agree wit the messages, but i do like some hardcore gangsta rap because of the poetic intensity and anger, especially in the early stuff.

Ever hear Saul Williams? In an interview on the Wake Up Show one day he was saying that as you're bobbing your head to the lyrics, you're affirming to yourself with the body language of an affirmative head nod, thus subconsciously agreeing with the lyrics. I believe this is true unless you realize this fact. As an emcee i study others, analyze their structure, syntax, diction, annunciation, and find that by studying raps under the ""microscope" that ceases to apply. It only really works if you're oblivious to that concept.

It's like you can feed yourself organic fruits and vegetables, and real natural meat, you'll be healthy. Eat twinkies, corndogs, big macs, and poison animals, and you'll be fat, dumb, and not too happy. Te music you hear, if you're paying attention is like a buffet full of items, healthy and not. It's up to you to choose to accept and agree with the healthy bits, and while hearing and appreciating the artistic qualities of something that may be unhealthy if consumed, still be able to differentiate and not consume the unhealthy stuff. It's finr to appreciate it's flow, it's intensity, or whatever qualities it contains, just don't build your conscience around music just because it sounds good. Learn to recognize the difference and you'll also find yourself able to much more easily appreciate other types of music, through a broader spectrum of styles.

I like music that i disagree with because it stimulates critical thought and gives me a counterpoint to my belief. I just keep in mind that i'm listening to someone else's opinion, and nothing more, just another single person with a microphone speaking. (until or unless one is censored).

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Aesop Rock

Paris

The UNDC ft. Killah Priest

Sound Scientists

Just thought I'd post some underground artists not mentioned for anyone who's interested.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Blackalicious

Haiku D'Etat

Myka Nyne Freestyle lesson

Keep em coming.

The last vid is awesome!!

[edit on 24/7/08 by blupblup]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
SLrocket, thanks for the Nas link, could you write a couple lines of text with links posted please, just explaining what the link is, and maybe why you think it's good? I listened though, thanks, media manipulation is out of control nowadays.

Striker, thanks for the links, the sound quality on the links was great, proper stereo. Took a bit of preloading, it was worth the wait though.

blupblup, nice links, you were right about the last video, I enjoyed it.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Check this out:
www.youtube.com...

Lost Children of Egypt and Lost Children of Babylon.

How about Sage Francis?

And yeah, Aesop is ridiculous, he and Vinnie Paz are some of my favorite rappers right now, mad style.

Aesop is crazy when it comes to painting a complex mental image if you can follow him, he uses multiplexed metaphors and similies with conceptual contrast well.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Check out Nas - Black Zombie

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
[edit on 24-7-2008 by InTheFlow]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Probably one of the best freestyle sessions on the wake up show.

Video.

Eyedea & Slug part 1
Here

Part 2 Here

"blupblup, nice links, you were right about the last video, I enjoyed it."

you're welcome truelight

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Nas on Colbert report.

It started with Bill O'reilly.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by thewhiterabbit23]

[edit on 24-7-2008 by thewhiterabbit23]

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
non phixion- black helicopters

great group. "america taught me how to kidnap and torture cats"

video.google.com...

to all the people wishing conscious rap would go back to the escapist happy go lucky de la soul days, get over it. most rappers have had plenty of darkness in their life and they can express it however they want. its what sells now anyway, most rap has been "hard" since NWA came out, conscious rappers followed suit.

funny though, I didnt understand at all what these cats were talking about back when I used to listen to this all the time in high school. i was just always skeptical of mainstream culture and this music is definitely counterculture, so I vibed with it. I never got into doing alternative research until I heard about ron paul last year. then I started digging and the lyrics started to make more sense

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Good links, keeping it going, this found from blup's alien nation link..

Alien Nation - 2012 Tour

More Atma...

Atma - Eternal Boundlessness

Atma - The Heavenly Doors

Atma - Red Alert on Planet Earth

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is nice and easy on the ears and eyes whilst still getting the point accross nicely...

Riz MC - Post 9-11 Blues

It turns out you can be De La Soul-esque while still hitting the mark.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueLight

More from Riz MC

Riz MC - Post 7/7 Blues

Well this thread has a good selection, from all different beliefs and backgrounds, all using HipHop/rap to put their message accross. There are some that are harder than others, some softer. Even if no one responds further this can be a good jump-off point for looking into the genre a little more deeply. Thanks for all the responses. Best Wishes.

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
From a happy lurker that didn't want to sign in.

I came across this thread and just had bring forth some titles to the list. May I recommend:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Peace and Aloha

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Just thought I would add a little to the list some may like

Dead Prez - Propaganda
www.youtube.com...

Dead Prez - Know Your Enemy
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Nice links hippy, thanks
Asian Dub Foundation. This is not new but still good.

ADF - Crash

Click the little player on the top right to start it. Best Wishes.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Immortal technique- Cause of death

LINK

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ruckus49

Non Phixion was the bomb, it got me into underground hip hop.

Also check Cage, Damo, Virtuoso, Sicknature, Sage Francis, Secret Circle and even XZibits album Weapons of mass destruction was good.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join