It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abadan Island in Iran the opening to the abyss?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A search on this generates a "stargate" but on here states its just a bottomless pit.Also search bottomless pit and cameup with a whole bunch of information.Anyone think this is real?Its all in scripture.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What?
Please stop...........................................................
The book of revelations is the most abused book on earth.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Didn't say i agreed with this....BTW this site is intended for material like this.You dont like my post...then don't respond to it..plain and simple

It's a interesting article and thought people would like to see it.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Abadan, is a rather common artifact of a river. It a river delta islet built up by silt. I studied that area when I use to teach about the military actions there in Gulf War I (Iraqi-vs Iran). Sedimentary islands built of silt and loaded with water are a bad place to have a "bottomless pit". I would also note that that name is a modern one. Place on it by the British in 19th century when surveying the (1819 I believe) area during their war with the what later became the United Arab Emirates (piracy).

What it was called 4,000 years ago is interesting, even 2,000 years ago it had another nane - because back then it didn't exist. The shore line existed to the NW of that position.

Eridu one of the first Sumer cities was built on the river near the seacoast. It is now inland.

[edit on 19/7/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
In the bible isn't Abadan is name for the gatekeeper to the abyss.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Destruction, the Hebrew name (equivalent to the Greek Apollyon, i.e., destroyer) of "the angel of the bottomless pit" (Revelation 9:11). It is rendered "destruction" in Job 28:22; 31:12; 26:6; Proverbs 15:11; 27:20. In the last three of these passages the Revised Version retains the word "Abaddon." We may regard this word as a personification of the idea of destruction, or as sheol, the realm of the dead.

from Easton's Bible Dictionary

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I'm very familiar with land masses like this, having grown up on the Mississippi river. They're a bit smaller i'm sure, just called sand bars but you sure couldn't convince me of any abyss on a big sand bar.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Howdy The Cyfre

I've spent some time on the Miss and other similar rivers and yep it's a sandbar-with vegetation and people living on it. I believe the force of the Eurphrates is about half of the Miss.

With a water table maybe a meter below the surface- yeah a bottomless pit filled with water!

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
A bottomless pit full of sand and water that leads to hell... sounds like a fun cave dive. Though I imagine you may want to bring a spear gun of some kind.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I tend to think of many Biblical prophecies more in metaphorical terms.

If by "bottomless pit" the Bible was talking about and "endless" war on terror ... some of the things listed on the link page start to click.

Being that the author of the page wrote these things before the invasion of Iraq, I'd say he had great foresight ... if he were to think more in metaphorical terms. Much of the Revelation excerpts can be attributed to war or acts/machines of war.

Imagine living 2000 years ago and "seeing" a vision in which you witnessed today's warfare. How would you describe an Apache helicopter? A tank?

The "entrance" (Invasion) to the "bottomless pit" (War on Terror) could definitely be Iraq/Iran home of Abadan and the Euphrates.

[edit on 21-7-2008 by tyranny22]

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Howdy Tyranny22

Considering the millions who have died in wars storms in the past, the modern war in Iraqi would be but a gentle whisper. You have over two-thousand years of destruction to choose from. The Island was fought over during the first Gulf War too. The Iraqis using chemical warfare to take the island initially and the Iranian stormed it and regained control some years later, about 80,000-100,000 casualties - or the Mongol destruction of Baghdad.

The battle of Baghdad 1258

The city of one million was depopulated and destroyed, its destruction ended the Arab Caliphate and the sword of Islam past later to the Turks.

Lets not get into the various other wars that devastated that region going back to 3300 BCE.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is rather a moot point for myself because I hardly believe in the Bible, but for the sake of argument:

I don't disagree with what you're saying. The death and destruction the region has suffered has been on a much larger scale in other wars. And certainly, the current war, especially pertaining to Abadan, is nothing compare to those of the past.

However, we're dealing with quotes from Revelations. The book that deals with the "End of Days" and foretells of "The Second Coming". Such, as far as I can tell, has not yet transpired, so we have to assume whatever Revelations makes reference to has to be of current or future events. Some of the wars you make reference to occurred decades, hundreds and even thousands of years ago.

I know this is originally my proposition, but if we are speaking in metaphorical terms as I stated above and we're accepting "Bottomless Pit" interpreted as an "Endless War" then it would have to be post 9/11.

Anyway, the point you make above is extremely valid. And, if anything, is more accurate to the Revelations quotes. I tend to interpret the Old Testament more in metaphorical terms and tend to interpret the New Testament more in reference to events that were transpiring at that time with nations in the Middles East. Such as, when Revelations makes reference to Babylon ... I rather think they were making an indirect reference to Rome, more on a political scale than anything else.

I don't necessarily buy the predictions from Revelations. But, I always try to look at things with an open mind and a "What if..." attitude. Though, I may not always agree with a thread or believe some of what is being discussed, I do enjoy entertaining and eloborating on subjects I find fascinating ... however unlikely they may be.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents ... for what it's worth.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well said Tryanny22

Revelations is meanful and is believed by each generation to reflect their own time.

One of the more successful use of the general term, "cold reading".

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
here is another thought

in some of the apocrypha the fallen ones of the 2nd rebellion who conceived with women and made the "giants and men of reknown" are said to be bound to earth until the day of judgement or sometime before

maybe they are the so called locusts that are to be released, it was a metaphor for them

they will be let lose, the souls of the "giants and men of reknown" were not of heaven and therefore were not allowed to leave earth, im not saying they are stuck in one place but bound to earth, possibly maybe ghosts, poltergiests, paranormal stuff, the being let loose part is to actually be able to be seen and or cause physical harm and fear into the people who are still alive during the trib

all speculation, seems like it could fit though, who knows

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Yes or the writer just made it all up, or more likely wrote down a story told by a charismatic storyteller.

new topics

top topics

join