It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Wrong' woman given abortion after nurse mixed up patients

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Y'all are gonna love this...

When my son was 3 months, we had him in for his physical.

The doctor left us in the care of a nurse while she took measurements, weighed him, etc. When the doctor came back the nurse was looking at the tape measure in disbelief:

"There is something wrong with this tape measure!", the nurse said, almost frustrated.

"What do you mean?" Asked the doctor.

"According to this, the boy is in the 125 percentile for height!"

The Doctor added, "Yeah... And? Did you see his father?". I am 6 foot 5 inches, and so the doctor expected that the measurement would be off the charts.

The nurse looked at me, and then looked back at the doctor, "So? How can the boy be more than 100%?"

I swear to you this happened, and my jaw dropped. It was both hilarious and sad. After a little while the nurse finally grasped that there was nothing wrong with the tape measure.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I know whitewave. My sister got out of nursing early and into teaching. It is no longer the heroin field it once was. It has been bastardized by big money.
Where have we heard that before.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Absolutely heartbreaking all the way around. Not to mention insane.

1) As someone else said, how do you not question the medicine someone brings you? At the very least, 'What's this?'

2) You would have thought the nurse would have said something to clue the patient in before giving the medicine that would have had such a strong effect. Not just, 'Here's this.' [Essentially].

3) Still, you cannot count on the intelligence of your patients/customers/clients. You have to assume the responsibility. Not everyone is going to ask, 'What's this?

4) This story hits close to home because something similar almost happened to a family member about 5 years ago but they were tuned in enough to ask, 'What's this?' Catastrophe adverted.

Very, very sad act of carelessness by both parties, unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

I can believe that because as a child i was very long, i was born if i remember correctly 9lbs 8 onces. Let's not lump every nurse in with the stupid ones though shall we? Some nurses are taught to accept charts onlyh, but others are taught to use their brains. In fact most are taught to use their brains.

Originally posted by AshleyD
Absolutely heartbreaking all the way around. Not to mention insane.

1) As someone else said, how do you not question the medicine someone brings you? At the very least, 'What's this?'

2) You would have thought the nurse would have said something to clue the patient in before giving the medicine that would have had such a strong effect. Not just, 'Here's this.' [Essentially].

You know asley, i don't often agree with you. However yes the nurse should have followed procedure and said what the medicine was for. Hence why i think she needs some more training.

Originally posted by AshleyD
3) Still, you cannot count on the intelligence of your patients/customers/clients. You have to assume the responsibility. Not everyone is going to ask, 'What's this?

Agreed the nurse should have made it clear. However lets remember that the nurse is probably in hell right now, consumed by guilt. Can you imagine how a woman would feel to have caused another woman to lose her child?

Edit because i can't work out how quotes work

[edit on 19-7-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
It seems like several of you are still missing the point.

The patient walked into an abortion clinic, took a pill that a nurse gave her, said "That was quick", and left.

This was not a case where a wanted baby was accidentally aborted. Sure, she may have still changed her mind between the consultation appointment and the actual procedure..but she took a pill in an abortion clinic. She had to have known what she was doing to herself.

Yes, it was a mistake on the nurse's part, but it was not the horrible crime some of you are making it out to be.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Apparently not app.
This sit seems to have properites unto itself.
Nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Agreed the nurse should have made it clear. However lets remember that the nurse is probably in hell right now, consumed by guilt. Can you imagine how a woman would feel to have caused another woman to lose her child?

I agree. It was a very severe accident and I am sure the nurse is very torn up in this one case. However, I can't imagine her being completely lost because, well, she works in an abortion clinic. It's her job to do such things so she most likely does it on a daily basis. If a typical obstetrics nurse committed such an error, I am sure it would be far, far worse. But in this case, the nurse commits abortions for a living and the patient was in an abortion clinic.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

[K i]Originally posted by AshleyD
I agree. It was a very severe accident and I am sure the nurse is very torn up in this one case. However, I can't imagine her being completely lost because, well, she works in an abortion clinic. It's her job to do such things so she most likely does it on a daily basis. If a typical obstetrics nurse committed such an error, I am sure it would be far, far worse. But in this case, the nurse commits abortions for a living and the patient was in an abortion clinic.

Ok hang on, yes she was working in an abortion clinic but that isn't an excuse for poor work! She should be held to task for this error and taught as a sort of penalty so she never does it again. Abortion clinics in the UK are oddly not just full of women having abortions, i know it's odd but many of them offer pre-natal care and sexual education. I have to admit that after such an incident that we should seperate such clinics and make abortion only clinics. These would deal with abortion only, nothing else. I hope in the future this would avoid such horrible mistakes.

there is a huge difference between a woman wanting an abortion and giving it and a woman not expecting an abortion and causing it, i think this nurse feels just as bad as any other woman and i think you're downplaying how she feels out of your own views.

[edit on 19-7-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Ok hang on, yes she was working in an abortion clinic but that isn't an excuse for poor work!

I agree and that is an opinion I already expressed. However, my second points stands as well. In my eyes, it is like an assassin being upset that he misunderstood orders from a superior which resulted in him preemptively murdering his target. I mean, when you do such things for a living, how can a mistake that results in you doing what you do everyday tear you up? I'm not saying she didn't commit a huge error- she did and it is inexcusable. I'm just saying that in her line of work I don't see how this is could be all that traumatic for her.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
And to clarify: I am not saying she isn't torn up. I'm very, very sure she is and I stated this earlier. However, being that she does such things for a living every day, I am saying I can't see her being as upset about the situation as, let's say, a nurse working in an OB/GYN office.

i think you're downplaying how she feels out of your own views.

Then you're thinking wrong. I already stated above something very similar almost happened to a family member of mine. It's a tragedy, no doubt, and I am sure there will be a huge lawsuit and rightfully so. However, I also don't seek the nurse's head on a platter. It was a mix up that resulted in horrifying consequences for all parties involved. That about sums it up.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

If you think that then yo uare ultimately flawed. It's like saying the man who pulls the switch on death row is less troubled by killing an innocent person. I think you're trying to foist your opinions on this thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I think you're trying to foist your opinions on this thread.

Incorrect. See my comment above yours. I edited it to accommodate your edit.

If you think that then yo uare ultimately flawed. It's like saying the man who pulls the switch on death row is less troubled by killing an innocent person. I think you're trying to foist your opinions on this thread.

And if you think that then you are ultimately flawed because how can anyone compare abortion (the killing of children in the womb) to a death row execution. Yikes. Unless you want to take us off topic and debate that not everyone on death row is guilty but let's not get jumbled up into semantics.

[edit on 7/20/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I guess i edited before you edited
My apologies.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Then whats the point of going to see a doctor?

Doctors are supposed to know these kinds of things.

You go to see a doctor about a sore wrist, and he accidently gives you rat posion, its your fault?

I really fail to see any logic in saying that it was the womans fault.

The point is to go see what is wrong witth you. The point is not to just take any medication he/she gives you. I mean come people...it's time to grow up and take respibility in your own life. I really think the patient is as much to blame as the nurse. Sorry. We should not just be stupid sheep who "blah" when we are asked to.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

No worries. It happens to the best of us!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I hope some of you are never on a jury.

And this is the problem with the whole judicial system. These people are on a jury at some time or another.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Hang on, many patients trust their doctors and nurses and that's how it should be. We take the idea that they're looking for our best interests as sacrisanct. Doctors take the oath to uphold peoples health and do no harm and i think we should accept that one thing and expect them to uphold it.

The nurse is at fault for not asking the question beforehand, and the clinic is at fault for treating women who want their children and women who don't want their children in the same building.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Hang on, many patients trust their doctors and nurses and that's how it should be.

You may call me paranoid. But, I do not "trust" anyone except me and my lover. I have a great doctor who I believe has every good interest in his heart, but, come on. If people don't take the initiative to at least take a look at what they are swallowing...I'm sorry...you are too stupid to raise a child anyway IMO.. Do you really think that these doctors/nurses can remember you (though they do an excellent job at it) from Adam? Anymore than your local 7/11 teller remembers you?

We take the idea that they're looking for our best interests as sacrisanct. Doctors take the oath to uphold peoples health and do no harm and i think we should accept that one thing and expect them to uphold it.

Yes. We should. But, IMO, we should not just take any old medication either. I'm sorry. If you take mediaction just given to you, you are an idiot in my book. Period.

Would you just eat any old mushroom given to you by anyone from the wilderness? Same goes with drugs. The prescription drugs could kill you faster. Not just my opinion.

People need to take their lives back into their own hands IMO. Yes, seek medical guidance, but don't just take any old posion just because your doctor said to.

The nurse is at fault for not asking the question beforehand, and the clinic is at fault for treating women who want their children and women who don't want their children in the same building.

This I believe is the probem here. The mix up of "wanted" and "un-wanted" babies in the same room.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by Griff]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
You may call me paranoid. But, I do not "trust" anyone except me and my lover. I have a great doctor who I believe has every good interest in his heart, but, come on. If people don't take the initiative to at least take a look at what they are swallowing...I'm sorry...you are too stupid to raise a child anyway IMO.. Do you really think that these doctors/nurses can remember you (though they do an excellent job at it) from Adam? Anymore than your local 7/11 teller remembers you?

Well i wasn't going to raise a child for many reasons, but being stupid wasn't one of them. I would look at anything going into my body, why didn't you read that part of my post? I was saying most people don't and shouldn't have to.

Originally posted by GriffYes. We should. But, IMO, we should not just take any old medication either. I'm sorry. If you take mediaction just given to you, you are an idiot in my book. Period.

Then i'm not an idiot as i read up on everything ever given to me, short of antibiotics. I just meant peopel shouldn't have to look it up, maybe i'm an idealist.

Would you just eat any old mushroom given to you by anyone from the wilderness? Same goes with drugs. The prescription drugs could kill you faster. Not just my opinion.

Acutally that is your opinion as prescription drugs are tested, mushrooms are not. However i am fully aware of the possibel side effects of many mainstream dugs, i myself have a vendetta against anti depressants. I've enver taken them but the dangers of thema re very clear.

People need to take their lives back into their own hands IMO. Yes, seek medical guidance, but don't just take any old posion just because your doctor said to.

Poison? Look we are talking about a specific case, inside a hospital, where a woman was expecting help with her pregnancy. I think this is more about social compliance. She was expecting help and so took the drug thinking it was helpful.

This I believe is the probem here. The mix up of "wanted" and "un-wanted" babies in the same room.

Agreed, clinics for abortion should never ever have women wanting their children in nearby rooms. It seems absolutely stupid to me. Abortion clinics should be completely seperate.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Well i wasn't going to raise a child for many reasons, but being stupid wasn't one of them. I would look at anything going into my body, why didn't you read that part of my post? I was saying most people don't and shouldn't have to.

Why shouldn't we have to? Would you just take any old herb? Any old mushroom? Any old cactus? Any old fungus? Any old etc. etc.? That's what you are doing if you just take any old prescription drug given to you. Even by a doctor. And most of the time the prescription could even be worse.

Then i'm not an idiot as i read up on everything ever given to me, short of antibiotics. I just meant peopel shouldn't have to look it up, maybe i'm an idealist.

Good. I'm glad you do read the label on what you take. But, we can't just sit back and think that our doctor knows everything about our bodies. For one, medications do different things to different types of bodies.

All I'm saying (and I'm not trying to be argumentative with you) is that we need to consider what we injest into our bodies.

Acutally that is your opinion as prescription drugs are tested, mushrooms are not. However i am fully aware of the possibel side effects of many mainstream dugs, i myself have a vendetta against anti depressants. I've enver taken them but the dangers of thema re very clear.

Exactly my point. Enough said I guess.

Poison? Look we are talking about a specific case, inside a hospital, where a woman was expecting help with her pregnancy. I think this is more about social compliance. She was expecting help and so took the drug thinking it was helpful.

Again, I'm sorry if I offend, but the woman was an idiot in my opinion. Yeah, she went seaking help. But when that "help" comes at you in the form of a pill, it is your duty to find out what that pill does to your body. Or, IMO, you're an idiot for just taking any old thing.

Agreed, clinics for abortion should never ever have women wanting their children in nearby rooms. It seems absolutely stupid to me. Abortion clinics should be completely seperate.

This I can agree on 100%.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join