It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebay Scammer caught in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Recently a large Ebay scammer has been busted in Australia and will be extrodited to USA for trial,

Does anyone know about this? please post any articles.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This is all I have so far ...

New South Wales police have issued a warning about fraud on the Internet auction-site E-Bay.

Police say several hundred people have reported to police that they have not received the goods that they have brought.

Police are investigating cases where one item, for example an artwork, has repeatedly been sold to different buyers.

Officers say they are negotiating with the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) who may extradite a person living in Australia who is alleged to be involved.

Police Superintendent Megan McGowan says it is alleged the person has been defrauding the site's users in the United States.

"I can't tell you a lot because it's a current operation but all I can really say is that we're talking to them about the possibility of them extraditing somebody for offences against American citizens," she said.

"We'd be very happy to see that happen because the penalties in the United States are fairly significant for computer-based crime."

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This does raise the issue that in a globally connected world, we need rules that span the globe, otherwise junk emails, ebay abusers, phishers and scammers will always be a problem. At the moment, there's no real control. In the EU, it is illegal to send spam emails. I still get 4000 spam emails (on about 180 email addresses) a day to my domain which have to be filtered out because this only applies to the companies near me, who, Ironically, I would much rather hear from than the Vi@gra guy and the larger pen1s guy who really want my cash. It doesn't affect the people in Australia and the US, they are not under EU jurastiction, which makes the whole thing a joke.

Perhaps people should be hard-coded with an IP address at birth, it would make internet security much easier? Maybe some sort of chip implanted into the brain at birth....

*ducks incoming flames from the privacy/big brother brigade*

[Edited on 11-3-2004 by Zzub]

new topics

join