It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you heard the one about Obama? Probably not.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Recently I was reading in the newspaper that our comedy heroes on the late nite talk shows are having a tough time coming up with jokes about President Obama, at least at this point in his career. He isn't relaxed enough yet to slip up in public. He seems to take his job too seriously, unlike President Bush.

Let's face it, the passing of George W. Bush out of the Oval Office is going to to usher in a period of famine in the comedy clubs.

I refer to President Obama as President Obama because so many people seem to take it for granted that he will be elected in the fall. Imagine if he doesn't get elected. Imagine if, through a herculean effort, a torture survivor's effort, John McCain actually beats the President. All the bleeding-heart liberals out there will be demanding a recount and demanding that it be done by Diebold!

That's probably not going to happen, though. We're going to be stuck with Obama and the plague of literacy and sanity he drags into the White House with him. I don't see any way out of this catastrophe unless Obama appoints Bush White House press secretary. If that happens, comedians can breathe easy, otherwise they are going to need help.

One thing about Obama really turns me off. His life story reads like a litany of achievement. He's no George W. Bush.

Let's face it, this is a serious problem. Most Americans have nothing in common with a guy like this. His Wikipedia write-up is sickening:

en.wikipedia.org...

No parent is going to want their children to know about this guy and what he has done. Obama's life is all about striving and striving and succeeding and going from strength to greater strength. It's hard to stomach and very demeaning to every one of us.

John McCain is much better. He was born rich, son of a navy admiral, came 894th out of 899 in his class at Annapolis, was shot down in Vietnam, tortured by his captors and married rich. He's more a regular rich guy who had a good kind of bad luck. An average idiot has no problem looking down on him. (It's so easy to forget about torture if you haven't experienced it.)

Which brings me to the point of this thread. Can anybody think of any good Obama jokes? Not jokes about "his people", his opponents, but about Obama himself. Let's stick to the sort of thing you might hear Dave, Conan, or Jay say on their programs. Everything else can wait. Our comedians need help now.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by ipsedixit]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Did you hear the one about George Washington? or the one about Abraham Lincoln? or the one about Madison? ... (it takes a buffoon to bring out the jokes)

Originally posted by ipsedixit
Let's stick to the sort of thing you might hear Dave, Conan, or Jay say on their programs. Everything else can wait. Our comedians need help now.

Are you a plant for one of these shows looking for ideas? I can't think of a reason our fine members would want to give away their bests lines so early in the game to have them stolen by readers of this site.

And yes, we do know for a fact that this site is read by people who work for certain shows.

Since the intent of this thread is to harvest jokes from our membership I'm going to move this into the appropriate jokes and puns forum in case someone wants to "contribute".

[edit on 7/18/2008 by Gools]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Since the intent of this thread is to harvest jokes from our membership I'm going to move this into the appropriate

It's actually a story in the news today. Surely you don't think I work for the Daily Show?
I'll repost my post here, if that's ok.

One thing about Obama really turns me off. His life story reads like a litany of achievement. He's no George W. Bush.

That's actually one thing I really like about Obama.

Why can't (or don't) people laugh and joke about Obama? Joking about our political leaders has long been the fuel of late night. This article begins to explore the phenomenon, but I was wondering about people's thoughts here.

The Obama Joke Deficit

Did you hear the joke about Barack Obama? Didn't think so. America's comedians are coming up empty on Obama humor. They poke fun at people around Obama, and people who are afraid of Obama, and people who worship Obama. But when they attempt to mock Obama himself, the jokes often fall flat. After one bomb recently, humorist Jon Stewart of "The Daily Show" had to instruct the audience that they could laugh at Obama. . . . It would be appropriate and not disrespectful.

The New Yorker cover doesn't really count because that wasn't making fun of HIM, but of conservatives who fear him, so I can understand him not thinking that was particularly funny. Jib-Jab did a pretty good job! But the Obama-bombs are few and far between...

What gives?
Is it because we don't know him?
Is this man funny enough or "jokable" enough to be our president?
He has a sense of humor, but is it enough?

Maybe he'll fall down or choke on some food or have an affair and we can get back to "normal".

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Your thread is a bit sickening to me.
You post this propaganda about Obama and advertise McCain as great person. But what you don't see is in your own words "An average idiot has no problem looking down on him"(talking about McCain). And it's true, it is much easier for you to relate to McCain because he is regular every day Joe but what makes you think that president suppose to be like that? Haven't we learned from Bush's administration how sickening it is to see "every day average Joe" representing our country.
The president is a face of the nation and i don't have any problem knowing that my president is more intelligent and more thoughtful about the moves he makes. It would disturb me though if an average idiot would have no problem looking down on president of my country.

With that said i'd like to add that i am not a supporter to both. McCain to me is just another Bush just 10 years older. Obama is shady persona too.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think some are taking this post a LITTLE too seriously. I think it's meant to be a bit tongue in cheek. Let me speak for myself. MINE is somewhat tongue in cheek.

I respect Obama. No doubt. And I think we need someone who is serious about what the country needs and will do something about it.

But it's almost an American past time to make fun of those in power. It may be considered rude and crude by some, but political cartooning is right up there next to Mother, God, Home and Apple Pie as far as being "Americana".

It never occurred to me that there would be negative responses to this idea...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
BH your thread was well framed for a good discussion in the other forum.

Unfortunately this thread was first but ...

Which brings me to the point of this thread. Can anybody think of any good Obama jokes?

The clear intent is to tell jokes about Obama.

This is the forum to do that.

My jab about being a paid plant was also tongue in cheek.
I couldn't care less if people want to tell jokes all day long.
Just not on the ATS forums.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I guess I'll post a joke, not sure on how well it is, and I do not despise, hate, loathe, or harbor any other form of negative feeings towards the man, but I might as well post it. Just to get it started.

-What happens if Obama leads this nations to a crushing failure, that surpasses all previous actions of those that have been in office?

-I would think this would be deemed as an "Obama"nation [abomination] of all things revolving around government.

Not the best wording, you're free to twist the joke as you please, I may have come up with it but I claim no right to it as my own property. its not too well worded however, but the basic jist should have been communicated. Again I have no disrepect for the man but a joke is a joke. I just thought I'd share. Although I do hope this does not shift any public opinion if it gets widespread ("Obamanation" jokes). Maybe I'm just being paranoid, whatever my post has rambled far too much.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
The clear intent is to tell jokes about Obama.

Ah. I see.
That was NOT the point of my thread. Bad timing, I guess.

Unfortunately, I don't have any jokes. LOL That was kind of the point of my thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I think you are on the right track with "Obama"-nation. Once elected everything the man does will be seen as obamanable. I think the sound of his name will probably be fertile ground for a certain kind of wordplay., inclusion in crazy cheerleader chants, for example.

Also, Clinton may have had his interns, but Obama will have "Obama-mamas". Maybe Dave Letterman will do a variation on his Oprah meet Uma theme. What do you get when you cross Oprah and Uma and give it a sex change? -- Obama!

When Obama does something wise he will be seen as an Obama-wan-kenobi figure. Comedians can't lose when a guy has a name like Obama and they should get on their butts and start writing jokes.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think part of what is going on in Obama's case is racism, but not of the knuckle dragging sort. It's more of a "guess who's coming to dinner" kind of racism that white liberals are afraid to own up to.

Comedians, the "unaknowledged legislators of the world", to steal from Shelley, need to take a lead here and gently guide all those politically correct Tracy and Hepburn's out there to benevolent and good humored mockery of their new leader, President Oh-my-god-bama.

The mental health of the Republic demands it.

top topics

join