It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe in religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not asking you if you believe in god. I'm asking if you truly believe in religion. You can believe in god and not believe in religion. You know this don't you?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I know the difference.

Which is why I definitely believe in God, but religion doesn't do anything for me.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I think organized religion can be unhealthy. Fellowship is good, but when you let others do your thinking for you, you do so at your own peril.

But if you just go by the definition of the word "religion" as a set of beliefs
and practices one has zeal for - then yeah, I believe in religion.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I don't believe in organize religion. In my opinion, all it does is divide man kind into sects and mobs.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I believe in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I am self taught from the Holy Bible King James Version.

I'm not to keen on religion in general. I think to many churches make up what I would call man's teaching rather than God's teaching.

I don't get to go to church often. When I do I like to find one that teaches from the King James Version. That's not the easiest thing to find anymore however.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I like the way you worded your question

An unequivocal NO, no religion for me.

Religion creates fear, hate, intollerance, bogotry, on and on. And in some cases, religion is also the teacher of those things.

I don't know what's wrong with each own person just being spiritual between themself and the one they are spiritual with. I mean, isn't that what is at the core of being spiritual? The oneness? How can any human be one with a spirit, when they maintain that spirituality in religions that can't even sort out WHO that spirit is?

I better stop now.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I believe in God not religion..... but sometimes religion can be fun but only when it doesnt become between you and God. But then at my church there isnt really religion. lol

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad
I know the difference.

Which is why I definitely believe in God, but religion doesn't do anything for me.
this.

I know that there's an all mighty power. And I know it wants my lurve. It's got it!! But I need no church to worship. As the old saying goes,my body is a temple.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Religion has helped me grow in my faith a LOT.
Even a bad one can help you grow and if the preacher uses a good Bible, you still learn it.
Which is important to your well-being.
Church has been a comfort in hard times and a matter of self-discipline.
There have been times that a church was not good and I had to leave and look for another.
Meeting people is good.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have always been very spiritual. I never could really do the whole religious thing. It's just not my style. Oh, I try it from time to time, but I'm the type that doesn't care to be told what I should or should not believe.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I'm not asking you if you believe in god. I'm asking if you truly believe in religion. You can believe in god and not believe in religion. You know this don't you?

Believing in God does you no good unless you follow a religion.
Cain and Able both believed in God.
Able followed the religion, as taught by Adam.
Cain decided to invent his own religion.
God maintained a religion through a system of an inherited office of keeper of the divine religion.
Abraham is a good example.
Now we have the Bible, so it is preserved in a way that the whole world has access to it.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

i have been saying this for years. i kinda see religion as a security blanket for people with more old fashioned or traditional minds. it's not a bad thing and i'm cool with people of all religious backgrounds.

one thing i said to a christian friend of mine awhile back when she said i need jesus in my life was, "maybe i do, but i think jesus has enough on his plate these days with what with society crumbling everywhere you look and humans becoming more brutal and less human every day." i dunno if she got my point because i just got a blank stare for a moment before she changed the subject. *shrugs*

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I don't really care for religion per say, that is why when I go to a place of worship it is non-denomination with mostly older people. I choose one with older people because they are more experienced at life and tend not to be concerned about dressing up to impress other church goers. I think that is the most phony thing about everyone that attends church. I sickens me to see people trying to impress others that they don't even know.

I have my own moral beliefs. I don't like one specialized organization pushing theirs on me when they are scamming or doing whatever because they manipulate the bible or beliefs and claim what they are doing is ok.

It's so hypercritical! :bnghd:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Voltzen,

I wouldn’t be going around thinking Jesus has enough on His plate. I’m positive He can handle you and the whole world on his pinky if He so chooses. So don’t deny Him because of Him. Deny Him because you don’t want Him. Don’t try and read His mind.

MrMysticism

Have you ever thought that they don’t dress to impress each other, but dress to impress themselves. Sometimes folks just like to dress up and look nice. Church gives them a reason to do this.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

i truly beleive in christianity why are you asking this though

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Believing in God does you no good unless you follow a religion.

Are you for real? You actually believe that?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Yes, I have never met a single person, outside of forums like this, who did not believe there was a God and that they could pray to It/Him/Her.
There seems to be a lot of atheists and spiritual/non-religious people on this forum.
I do not think that is indicative of what the general population thinks.
I think you could go to Israel and find a lot of non-religious Jews who would tell you their nationality comes first and their religion comes second.
But look at what their choices are.
You could probably go to isolated areas of third world countries and find some people with native beliefs.
Whatever they consider to be their God is not going to help them, in my opinion.
You normally would find them surrounded by spirits and demons who are very real.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

That's not at all what I asked you.

You stated "Believing in God does you no good unless you follow a religion".

I am looking for elaboration of that statement. You are claiming that belief in God is futile without religion.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Jesus followed a religion.
It just so happened that his religion pointed to him as the Messiah.
Now, we have a religion that incorporates, as fact, the fulfillment of prophesy, in Jesus.
This religion is the way to salvation.
If you are not interested in salvation, then you can choose to ignore it.
So, a belief in god, that does not include salvation, in the end, has you ending up in the same place as a life without belief in God.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Huh, with that it's either twisting it all into a self-fulfilling prohecy, or just playing semantics.

No need to elaborate further ...... already bored with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join