It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama purges Web site critique of surge in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
www.nydailynews.com...

BY JAMES GORDON MEEK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Monday, July 14th 2008, 8:10 PM

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama's campaign scrubbed his presidential Web site over the weekend to remove criticism of the U.S. troop "surge" in Iraq, the Daily News has learned.

The presumed Democratic nominee replaced his Iraq issue Web page, which had described the surge as a "problem" that had barely reduced violence.

"The surge is not working," Obama's old plan stated, citing a lack of Iraqi political cooperation but crediting Sunni sheiks - not U.S. military muscle - for quelling violence in Anbar Province.

The News reported Sunday that insurgent attacks have fallen to the fewest since March 2004.

Obama's campaign posted a new Iraq plan Sunday night, which cites an "improved security situation" paid for with the blood of U.S. troops since the surge began in February 2007.

It praises G.I.s' "hard work, improved counterinsurgency tactics and enormous sacrifice."

Campaign aide Wendy Morigi said Obama is "not softening his criticism of the surge. We regularly update the Web site to reflect changes in current events."
GOP rival John McCain zinged Obama as a flip-flopper. "The major point here is that Sen. Obama refuses to acknowledge that he was wrong," said McCain, adding that Obama "refuses to acknowledge that it [the surge] is succeeding."

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obama wins, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. And critisizing President Obama (I'm sorry, I meant His Lovely and Magnanimous Holy Presence) will be classed as a 'hate crime.'

I might as well go back to Iraq. At least there I'll have a weapon in my hands.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
GOP rival John McCain zinged Obama as a flip-flopper. "The major point here is that Sen. Obama refuses to acknowledge that he was wrong," said McCain, adding that Obama "refuses to acknowledge that it [the surge] is succeeding."

a very prevalent problem with all democrats, it isnt just Hussien obama.
they democratic party as a whole could wait to bash General Petraeus. they were so egar they had to start bashing him before they even knew what he was going to say.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't mind him updating it, but the least he could have done is to admit he was wrong. That would show he can admit to mistakes. I think he should also put up a link to the old plan. This would show the transparency he talks about. Furthermore, he should have given more credit to the Iraqis. This would show the equality he talks about. They have paid for the improved security situation with their blood also. Especially since a lot of them started pimping out the bad guys. Bad guys don't like it when you snitch them out and have a tendency to kill in retaliation.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am sick of that worthless lying idiot. He said all along he wanted to pull out of war, to get all of the votes. And now that he got rid of every other Democrat's competition, he starts to come out that he LIED.

He LIED to get everyone rooting for him. Then the competition died, and there he is flaunting that he lied all along, like no big deal. Makes one SICK.

I never trusted the man. And now his true colours are shown to the world, and we have no choice. Him and McCain are the exact same, working for the exact same people and America is going to go in the direction of corporate interest and the Military Industrial Complex, whether the people want it or now.

The people in power are worthless to us. Lying scum.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Hey guys, hes just "nuanced" and tying to calibrate his position.....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Hey guys, hes just "nuanced" and tying to calibrate his position.....

No, he's not.

He's "enlightened".

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The fact is, Obama is in trouble with his position. If we would have gone the democrat route and began pulling out, our soldiers would be fighting tooth and nail right now. All the people fighting us, would ratchet up the violence as we signaled weakness. Iraqis would probably be dying at record rates and no doubt the democrats would be blaming Republicans and using it to get elected back home.

Hell, there has even been major political progress over the last few weeks. How about the success of the reconciliation program in Balad?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble

Originally posted by jerico65

a very prevalent problem with all democrats, it isnt just Hussien obama.
they democratic party as a whole could wait to bash General Petraeus. they were so egar they had to start bashing him before they even knew what he was going to say.

Uhm Get your facts straight.

That wasn't the democratic party who placed that ad inthe New York Times before he spoke. That was MoveOn.org.

The two are *not* the same

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
The fact is, Obama is in trouble with his position. If we would have gone the democrat route and began pulling out, our soldiers would be fighting tooth and nail right now.

Oh but they are! They are fighting tooth and nail once they get out to

1. Find a job
2. Get decent medical care
3. Find treatnent for PTSD
4. Integrate into society again... somehow

Where are the mighty republicans on this end of the deal? Oh yeah.. thats right, McCain said the new GI Bill was "too generous"

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Where are the mighty republicans on this end of the deal? Oh yeah.. thats right, McCain said the new GI Bill was "too generous"

No, he dint. He didn't support the original bill, because it provided incentives to get out of the military and not stay in.

I love how you guys try to convince people that a POW and veteran, somehow doesn't like veterans.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
This is typical of almost any campaign after the primary is won. The candidate 'updates' his or her beliefs closer to the average voter in order to get their vote.

4. Integrate into society again... somehow

You act like it is so hard. You must not know many people who have been over. I am not saying that for some it doesn't suck worse, but for many it is a relief to be back with their families and normalcy is all they want.

That wasn't the democratic party who placed that ad inthe New York Times before he spoke. That was MoveOn.org.

The democratic party without MoveOn is like a twinky without the cream filling.

new topics

top topics

join