It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study finds Americans are too fat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
After reading this, I think that latest McDonalds action of eliminating Super-Size is actually a good thing.

The research, by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is the latest work showing widespread weight gain among Americans of all ages. It found that poor diet and lack of exercise caused 400,000 deaths in the US in the year 2000.

BBC News

A new study in the United States says obesity is likely to become the country's biggest preventable killer. Two-thirds of US adults and nine million children are either overweight or obese.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
they needed a study to figure that out? I figured it was common knowledge.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
they needed a study to figure that out? I figured it was common knowledge.

More like 'Painfully Obvious and Unquestionable'. I think most people could have saved em the money and the work in this study by telling these eggheads to go to the mall and hang out there all day. By the food court if possible. One day and the Final Results are in.

About as amazing of a discovery as finding out 'Fire is Hot' or that 'Wind is the cause for 99% of all Hats that fly off peoples heads', real serious science going on there, by real serious men in Impressive White Lab Coats.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Wow, this is a surprise...

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
What really sucks in my opinion is that as we get fatter and fatter our idols and icons on TV and film get skinnier and skinnier. It's unrealistic. A person's "prime" is now considered a 16 year old girl. The impact is on both sexes though.

The proportion of people with abs on TV to people that actually have abs is insane. It would be like casting every single role with some rare biological condition like albinoism and saying this is normal.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 05:47 AM
link   
And they still go off about smoking? jesus Christ. There are more fatties than smokers, and being faty will kill you quicker than smoking.

They had better start taxing fatty foods like they have ciggarettes.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yes, we are a bunch of out of shape fat-bodies. However, it isn't McD's job to drop the Super Size out, it is our job to make the right choices. Heck, all I'll do is order two bags of fries!

BTW, a huge enemy of health is hydrogneated oil, such as Crisco, and it is found in alot of food, especially fact food.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   

However, it isn't McD's job to drop the Super Size out, it is our job to make the right choices.

Bingo...

Kind of like blaming the gun manufacturer for a murder....

It's getting better though. Americans are too fat because food (and bad for you food) is so accessable. However, with Atkins, and other diets becoming more mainstream, people are starting to think more about it...and restaurants are responding to this as well, and offering healthy and tasty alternatives.... Sometimes, this is even springing up whole new ideas in fast food....

top topics

join