It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upcoming reversal of the geomagnetic field?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I´ve found this excellent article published on National Geographic and wanted to share it with you. I am sure that you will have a lot to say about it.

Rapid changes in the churning movement of Earth's liquid outer core are weakening the magnetic field in some regions of the planet's surface, a new study says.

"What is so surprising is that rapid, almost sudden, changes take place in the Earth's magnetic field," said study co-author Nils Olsen, a geophysicist at the Danish National Space Center in Copenhagen.

The changes "may suggest the possibility of an upcoming reversal of the geomagnetic field," said study co-author Mioara Mandea, a scientist at the German Research Centre for Geosciences in Potsdam.

Click to read the full article

In accordance to what they mention (see full article), it seems that we already are going through some of the effects of these changes.
If the reversal takes place, the whole world will change.

Do you think we have to worry about it?
Is there anything we can do to prevent it?
What will really happen if a reversal takes place?

Years ago, people were talking about a possible reversal... And many said it was science fiction. Nothing to worry about.
Now, some scientist admit that a reversal is possible...
What will come next?

Thanks for your inputs.
Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Reversal isn't just possible, it's real, and it has happened many times before. In fact, according to the boffins, we are something like 500, 000 years overdue for a field reversal.

There are many theories as to both why and how this happens, but the how concerns us the most. Instead of the 'north' of the magnet transversing over the whole planet until it reaches the south pole, there is evidence to suggest that the magnetic field will slowly fade away, then reappear reversed. This has bad implications for surface life on this planet, as that field is the primary reason we don't get bombarded with radiation from that fusion reactor up in the sky.
But by the looks of things, at least, the fade will take place over hundreds or thousands of years, although it has already decreased 15% in the past 150 years.

sty

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
to prevent it? well, my guess is that we shoud focus into surviving it haha

sty

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

to be onest , it would be better to be a quick process (and i guess it is). A very slow reversal process would allow way too much bad radiation for way too long , possible 100 000 years reversal would wipe up all the life on Earth that bears DNA ! so as we are here still could mean the Earth was reseeded after each reversal (i do not think so ) or it means it is quick enough to allow some species to survive- or even evolve from it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Thanks for your replies.

If reversal has happened before, how did it affect Earth?
I wonder if the increase in volcanic and seismic activity on Earth can be caused by these changes and if the Ocean Conveyor Belt can be affected too...

I guess that we are not only worried about why and how, but also the when. They say that this will take place over hundreds or thousands of year, but if it is something gradual, we will notice some changes in the meantime... Starting a new Solar Cycle (Maximum), this increases the risk of harmful events. Don´t you think so?

Regards,
Ptolomeo

sty

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Ptolomeo

without protection for our magnetical field, life on Earth would go extinct. The fact that we are here shows that the Earth was never unprotected for too long. I am not sure what would be the amount of radiation without our protective field, but I am sure no living organism would survive it for too long.The radiation from the Sun once it hits the living organisms can damage the DNA and causes cancer. if the proces of reversal takes let say 100 000 years, then I could say no living creature would survive on Earth. But as I said, we are here- so this thing was fast enough to not damage our DNA..

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

The best scientific data shows that the last reversal happened some 70 thousand years ago. We are past due for a reversal and we are already in the first stages of the reversal.

There really isn't any record about the last time. It would seem that the last reversal is where the Noah's Ark mythology really comes from. Such an event would seem as though it was rainning for 40days/nights due to the rapidly changing weather patterns.

The real issue at hand besides the assumed "great flood" that people speculate might happen is also the "baptisim of fire".

You see? There is what is known as the "solar winds". These are streams of electromagnetic particals. You can think of this as light, however much of the "light" is outside human's visual perspective. Moreover, much of that "light" is very deadly to organic matter such as humans.

Our geomagnetic fields creats and electromagnetic shield on the planet that protects the orginisims on this planet from the solar winds. When the poles shift the shield fails and the parts of the planet that are in the direct line of the sun gets fryed!

This of course is reconized within one week of happening that will send the targeted zone of distruction's people to invade other countries in a mass blitzkreeg of survivalism.

Also it is spectualted that because of the reversal of the poles, and the planets readjustment to the new placement, the massive tial surge would wipe over large pieces of the planet distroying everything in it's wake.

Now for the really strange news. This reversal was predicted years ago before science understood the phenomenon. People said it would never happen and only over the past couple of decades has science been catching up with the prophecy. Strangly enough it started around the time it was predicted to start. It's a piece of the puzzle that is the 2012 phenomenon.

Have a happy end of the world!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo

I guess that we are not only worried about why and how, but also the when. They say that this will take place over hundreds or thousands of year, but if it is something gradual, we will notice some changes in the meantime... Starting a new Solar Cycle (Maximum), this increases the risk of harmful events. Don´t you think so?

Regards,
Ptolomeo

I just don't understand how some scientists have concluded the earths magnetic reversal will be slow - when the suns reversal can occur in just a few months ???

February 15, 2001 -- You can't tell by looking, but scientists say the Sun has just undergone an important change. Our star's magnetic field has flipped. The Sun's magnetic north pole, which was in the northern hemisphere just a few months ago, now points south. It's a topsy-turvy situation, but not an unexpected one. Earth's magnetic field has reversed hundreds of times over the past billion years, and the process could take thousands of years to complete.

The sun does a flip

The next sun flip is due in 2012 which pretty much ties in with a prophecy or two ??

Good thread flagged

[edit on 15-7-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   

if you look into the lava beds in the Atlantic, you will see visable evidence of many many reversals, they seem to happen a lot and they must have happened when there was life, ...However there is NO evidence of it happening whist we humans have been around....so it might not be too good for us...uncharted times !!

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ptolomeo
Thanks for your replies.

If reversal has happened before, how did it affect Earth?

Good Thread and good post.

My personal belief is it has been responsible for driving all the genetic mutations that have generated the incredible range of species (past and present) on this planet. As others have metioned ...the field fades over time then re-strengthens. This usually coincides with a pole reversal. During these periods of a weakened magnetic field, the surface of the Earth is exposed to much more solar and cosmic radiation...As we all know....radiation is what drives genetic mutation.

I wonder if the increase in volcanic and seismic activity on Earth can be caused by these changes and if the Ocean Conveyor Belt can be affected too...

I believe there is a definite link between pole reversals and seismic activity. Please visit this old thread.

Earths Magnetic Field Declining Fast

[edit on 7/15/2008 by darkbluesky]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
how 'bout we start developing artificial EMF generators to take over when the naturally occurring one fades out? it's either that or start making radiation-safe buildings and/or underground cities.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Bring it on I say! I'd love to live and die during interesting times. As for what Incarnated said about Noahs ark and 70,000 yrs ago...uh do you mean 7 thousand, or do you think Noah was a Neanderthal? they couldnt build boats. you should do an edit

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am also under the impression that the magnetic shift for all its destruction will also trigger another ice age soon after. (another regular occurring phenomenon)

sty

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

very interesting idea, maybe indeed this is what causes the Ice Ages !

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

I believe we are what scientist call an interglacial period. The Earth warms up then to correct the balance it gets a lot colder (ice age) which is also one of the reasons I'm not sold on the whole "global warming" argument.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is what I´ve always been saying. And that´s one of the reasons that we started the Severe Geomagnetic Storm Research Project Follow the link ATS Research Forum

From my point of view, solar flares do have an effect on events on Earth and can trigger volcano eruptions, seismic activity... But I also would like to add that these flares can affect our bodies, our health. Of course, some people are more sensitive to this than others but...

Sty, you say that without protection for our magnetic field, life on Earth would go extinct. But how much protection do we still have and where on Earth is it better or worse? Are there degrees of protection? For sure.
If so, do you think that we have a 10 on a scale of 10 or are we having less protection?

Incarnated, yes, many people belive that 2012 will be the year of "something to happen". Some say that it will be the end of the world. Others say that it will not be the end of the world, but an important and global change... Who knows? The true is that we are facing many risks. There are plenty of options that can trigger such a "phenomenon", for instance, a polar reversal, the melting of all the glaciers... An eruption of a supervolcano...

Destiny-fate. Thank you for the flag.
Very interesting your input about the next sun flip. That´s another possibility that matches with the 2012 prophecy.

Darkbluesky. Thank you for your appreciation.
I am glad to see that we share our believe that volcanic and seismic activity are related. (thanks for the link).

QBSneak000. Yes, I agree, another ice age is another real option to add to the wide range mentioned above...

Thank you all for your comments. This thread is becoming really interesting with your information and opinions.
Regards,
Ptolomeo.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

if you look into the lava beds in the Atlantic, you will see visable evidence of many many reversals, they seem to happen a lot and they must have happened when there was life, ...However there is NO evidence of it happening whist we humans have been around....so it might not be too good for us...uncharted times !!

thanks for the great thread

snoopyuk

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

You're mistaken by religion and sudosciences about the real timeline of mankind. You should check out the Urantia book.

I said the Noah's Ark mythology as the actual man that was named Noah got super imposed over a greater flood epic story.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thanks for your kind words, Snoopyuk.

Those lava beds are a concern...
A reversal of the geomagnetic field can trigger a supervolcano to erupt...(?)
I guess that many events are possible under such circumstances.

Regards,
Ptolomeo.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
What happened to evolution? Did it just stop? I guess everything is perfect now so evolution doesn't need to change anything anymore. When did it stop? If it hasn't stopped, where are all the species that are still evolving? why can't anyone find anything that is in the process of evolving?

Evolution is crap and anyone who believes in it is an idiot!

virtually every scientist that has tried to push this crap on people has been found a fraud!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join