It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Problems...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well, SETI has been working fine until recently, processing several work units a day on my desktop computer. Now when it starts up manually, or by screensaver, it starts to connect and says "sending result- connecting to server" then a message comes up that says "Unknown Fatal Error: 100" and the program just closes...anyone know how to solve this? Was just about to break the ATS top 50 too..

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Shoktek]

xn

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   
This has happened to me a few times. Just start the program again and let it run. It doesn't happen too often. You could always run the commandline client, which has crashed like once for me.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Hi Shotek!

Sorry to hear about your problems: this was an issue way back in October 2003, which SETI@home discussed in a special post, copied here:

Reconnecting after getting a fatal "100" error

"October 30, 2003

About one week ago our user database crashed. No data was lost, but there was a brief period of time where the server was in such an odd state that it accepted current results from users, but then corrupted their local user_info.sah file, which contains information about user id and credit.

Days later, when everything was normal, users started to return results infected with the bogus data in their user_info.sah file. Unfortunately our server rejects these particular results with a cryptic, fatal "100" error.

The problem is, users are still left with bogus user_info.sah files, and their result.sah files remain infected as well. So the only trustworthy solution is to just remove these offending files (search for the files "result.sah" and "user_info.sah" on your systems and delete them). When you start up SETI@home it will ask you to log in again. The process of logging in with clean up the user_info.sah files, and download a fresh workunit to chew on.

However, this also nullifies any work done on the infected result. We apologize for that wasted effort, but in the interest of clean science the best thing to do is just remove these files and start again on a new workunit from scratch.

People using third-party "add-on" software to cache units may be experiencing a set of other problems that our beyond our jurisdiction, since we haven't written that software and don't know how it works or why it is broken. There are several threads on our message boards discussing potential solutions depending on which add-on you are using. "

I hope this helps you resolve the problem?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
ahhh, thanks Genya..I had already tried deleting the user_info file, and still didn't work...just deleted both now and restarted and now it is working.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
just deleted both now and restarted and now it is working.

Just the job my friend!!
I had the same problems at the time (October 2003) as reported on the previous site, so had to reinstall SETI@home myself...
It soon got going again however!!

Pleased the info was of some use Shoktek!!

new topics

top topics

join