It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enviro: Bush/McCain drilling plan a 'gimmick' for big oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Enviro: Bush/McCain drilling plan a 'gimmick' for big oil

rawstory.com

The president plans to officially lift the ban and explain his actions in a Rose Garden statement, White House press secretary Dana Perino said.

Environmentalists slammed the move. Friends of the Earth Action President Brent Blackwelder responded with the following statement:

“President Bush and John McCain should be trying to end America’s addiction to oil, but instead they’re pushing this gimmick that won’t do anything to lower the cost of gas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
As the source article says this is not going to do anything to lower the price of fuel. If congress takes action it might mean more money for the oil companies. Still this is news worthy since most of still relay on the wealthy oil companies to get our daily bread.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This was posted here: But, the above story gives a spin on the news.

White House: Bush to lift offshore drilling ban

[edit on 14-7-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I did a search for the title and it did not get any hits.
Thanks for posting the link.
Sorry I missed it.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Funny that you mentioned that:

A Way To Keep From Posting Duplicate Threads

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Jhil
well you defently got your point across.
Thanks for the information.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
This looks like a perfectly legit post because it takes on the "conspiracy" angle.

What I don;t understand is that OPEC only allows a certain amount of production. How can the US produce more oil under OPEC regulations?

In other words, if OPEC says that participating countries can only produce a total of 100 million barrels a day, and the US says we can drill near us and produce more, doesn;t that go against OPEC regulation, and if it did fall in line with OPEC, wouldn't oil still remain the same price?

Am I making any sense?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

not making sense in the regard that the U.S. is not a member of OPEC, and there for is not involved in there decishen making.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Personally, I think (as many others do) that the meteoric rise in the price of oil and gas is due to speculators, not supply and demand. I agree with the OP 100% this will have no direct affect on gas prices and will only benefit the Big Oil interests that have been driving our country.

What will piss me off though, is if they just "happen" to time this with the artificial oil bubble bursting. I would hate for these scum bags to be able to claim responsibility for lowing gas prices and falsely claiming the role of our saviors.

This will have October Surprise written all over it if it happens.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Ummmm...yes the US is a major member of OPEC. OPEC oil is traded in the US dollar exclusively until Iran and Iraq stopped trading - and well....you know what happened there.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What I mean to say is that OPEC was founded by the US and the oil is traded in the US dollar. An official member? No.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin

Ummmm...yes the US is a major member of OPEC.

No, the U.S. is not a member of opec.

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) is a group of twelve states[1][2] made up of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Libya, Algeria, Nigeria, Angola, Venezuela and Ecuador. Recently, Indonesia has decided to leave the organization, a move which was completed in May 2008. The organization has maintained its headquarters in Vienna since 1965[3], and hosts regular meetings among the oil ministers of its member states.
wiki

new topics

top topics

join