It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Makemake Becomes the Newest Dwarf Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Makemake Becomes the Newest Dwarf Planet

science.slashdot.org

The Kuiper belt object formerly known as (136472) 2005 FY9 has been rechristened Makemake and classified as a dwarf planet and plutoid by the International Astronomical Union, according to the United States Geological Survey. The reclassification occurs just a month after the latter category was created.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
So we now have a new plutoid. I figured it was ony a matter of time since the new group was classified. They will start coming thick and fast now.

So what do you makemake of that?

science.slashdot.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14/7/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I kind of wish they had made it's nickname official, "EasterBunny." Though I understand the pun in it's official name, Makemake is still an odd choice. I kind of wish they would keep the Roman-name convention when naming new objects.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Yeah, I thought they would have been a little more creative. I understand their thinking, but this name is going to stick forever now.

Are there any K.Belt object watchers who are willing to have a stab at the next ‘official’ plutoid? I am in no position to offer any prizes for correct guesses but maybe the Mods might be willing to offer points just for kicks?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
So what do you makemake of that?

Cracking me up, Viking!

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Are there any K.Belt object watchers who are willing to have a stab at the next ‘official’ plutoid? I am in no position to offer any prizes for correct guesses but maybe the Mods might be willing to offer points just for kicks?

OutOut

Rush

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have just read a story stating that Makemake is the FOURTH plutoid/Dwarf Planet.
Fourth Dwarf Planet Named For Polynesian God So it got me asking what is the Third?

It turns out it is 2003 EL61

2003 EL61 is the third-largest known dwarf planet in the Kuiper belt, the region of space beyond Neptune that contains the larger dwarf planets Eris and Pluto as well as thousands of smaller objects.

Why then was Makemake named but this 2003EL61 not yet?

These people need to determine what is and isn't a plutoid quick smart or we will have millions of potential candidates.

top topics

join