It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese don't drink any Diet pop, juice, ect..Aspartame is susupect..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
BS..... im diabetic i have been eating/drinking artificial sweeteners for 18 years with no problems.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Here's a couple of sweeteners I was turned on to.

Organic Zero/Erythritol

Zsweet

I used them both, they worked pretty well. I didn't want to make my tea too sweet so I underused them and had to add a little stevia to get it right but they were good by me.

Unfortunately for me, when I make my ginger lemonade the only sweetener that works is honey and it costs a bunch. I may try again with stevia but it didn't work the two times I tried it, the ginger juice was just too strong.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by BanzaiBoy
I have been watching videos on the dangers of aspartame and I took a look at what the ingredients were in the Ice Breaker mints I have....and what a shocker.. aspartame! I wonder if it would be best to switch over to Altoids instead.

Just grow your own mint. It's easy. Then take a leaf or two along with you to chew on.

But wait, if you are in the USA, you will probably be tasered before you could start to much on that suspicious leaf......

(Wish I were entirely joking, but do grow your own mint. Its loads better than altoid's or the others.)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
After all these comments...........What is wrong with sugar ?......Nothing!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I just cracked open a can of diet dr pepper and now I have lost the drive to drink it.
But wait.... whats that??? a little voice from my can , it's saying "drink me , drink me" ...
I.......MUST............RESIST.....................................

Ah bollox, I'll just have a little sip.....

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I hate the taste of aspartame. Rumsfeld? It figures. Did that SOB ever do one G/D thing right in his life.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Why does everyone say sugar makes you fat? I mean generally speaking sugar converts to energy pretty damn quick in the body... at worst, if you consume 10 grams of sugar, you'll gain what? 10 grams? Nobody's gonna eat sugar with a table spoon so far as I know.

If people are so concerned about getting fat, why not stop eating salt? Too much salt in your body makes your skin retain water, which makes you look bloated and considering the amount of skin we have, can easily make you gain a few pounds in a day or two, so put down the bag of chips!

Also, regarding asperthame, wasn't it forbidden for use by US air force pilots after a research showed that it diminished the nervous system's responsiveness, specially in critical moments of stress?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Just noticed something when searching for aspartame on google. One of the side effects from the consumption.

'aggravated respiratory allergies such as asthma'

If I ever drunk a dilute juice drink that I made a bit too strong, it would instantly make me cough and splutter and I would keep doing so for quite a while afterwards. Guess I know the reason for it now.

I have recently stopped drinking canned pop (soda for you yanks) stopped eating as much chocolate and so on. Trouble is it's so hard to eat food that has had nothing added to it.

Your fruit has probably been grown with pesticides, your meat has probably been pumped full of chemicals and probably been reared on questionable food to start with and so the list goes on.

The only place I have ever eaten 'real' food was the Ukraine. A poor country, they can't afford to bring food hundreds of miles or to pump it full of hormones to make it grow larger. It's all grown locally and sold locally and it's the nicest tasting food I have ever eaten.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
ok, so where is the japanese angle? this turned out into a evil rumsfeld evil aspertame thread.

title is misleading. should be revised.

can someone verify that Japanese don't drink diet drinks?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by son of PC
I hate the taste of aspartame. Rumsfeld? It figures. Did that SOB ever do one G/D thing right in his life.

made a lucrative living for his family?

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdagwd

If people are so concerned about getting fat, why not stop eating salt?

a star for you.
SODIUM is a killer. start reading labels. it is freaking in everything in mass amounts! yes even sodas! (that is "pops" for you brits)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
make sure you check everything because its not just diet drinks that contain aspartame. Non diet juices, sodas, crisps and many other food items also contain aspartame which doesnt make any sense to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jeepthing07

Exactly, it all depends on the person.

What I'm finding ironically hilarious is that people are trying to attack Diet Soda without also attacking Soda. Did you forget about caffeine? Even if you buy the caffeine-free stuff, there's STILL a lot of chemicals in Soda that cause damage, so I don't see why people are defending regular Soda and condemning Diet Soda. If you're going to condemn it, go all the way and just stop drinking Soda COMPLETELY. Going half-way makes you look silly.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Keep this chemical and all artifical sweeteners off your diet. I had to respond to this post and tell people about my experience with another artificial sweetener - Splenda. Splenda is the brand name of the sweetener sucralose. This stuff is poison to your body and it is being used in "low calorie/carb" products and you wouldn't even know it unless you carefully read the contents. I will be as brief as possible with my story.
Around 2003 I was entering my mid 30's and I started to gain some weight and wanted to lose about 20 pounds to get back into shape. Low carb diets were all the craze so I decided to give it a try. Very little carbs and no sugar. My favorite drink is iced tea and I love to have a couple of cups of coffee in the morning. I needed a sugar subsitute for these beverages. I could not stand the taste of Aspartame or Saccharin and I read about potential cancer causing properties of these products so I decided to try Splenda since it was supposed to be made from sugar I figured it was safe. Everything seemed great I lost the weight and the liked the taste of Splenda so much I even started to eat other foods with it. About 10 months into using this stuff I my health took a turn for the worse. I began having severe joint pain that was not explainable. First I woke up one morning with knee pain and stiffness so bad that I could not even walk without a severe limp. My knee blew up like a balloon and it looked like i had a sprain but I know I did not injure my knee during physical activity. I figured I would go to the doctor on my day off later in the week. After two days I woke up in the morning and the knee pain and swelling were gone it was as if nothing was ever wrong with it. It was very bizare and I never experienced this before. Usually an injured knee would take at least a week to start to feel better. I kind of shrugged it off and went about my business. A few days later I woke up with extreme pain and swelling in my elbow. Same thing as the knee. I could barely bend my arm without exterme pain. At this point I am starting to get worried that I have a serious problem with my body. I made an appointment with my doctor the next day. By the time I got to the doctor the pain and swelling in my elbow was gone. I explained what was going on to the doctor and he performed some tests and took blood. Everything came back normal no problems with my health that the doctor could see. This continued for months. Every few days I would wake up with a different joint in my body swollen and in pain. The final straw was when I woke up with lower back pain so severe I couldn't even stand up. I had to crawl to the bathroom because it was too painful to stand upright. I had to get another medical opinion because at this point I figured I must have something seriously wrong with me. I was referred to a doctor that specialized in back and joint pain. When I explained to him what was happening I was shocked when the first thing he asked was "have you recently started a low carb diet?". I told him yes. He then said " You started using Splenda instead of sugar didn't you". I told him a was. He instructed me to stop using Splenda and anything with sucralose in it and had me check the site www.splendaexposed.com... I couldn't believe it when I read about this poison. I stopped using the product and within two months no more joint pain. I felt great. Basically the chorine molecules that Spenda contains were building up in my joints causing severe inflamation and pain. It builds up over time so the longer you use the product the worse it gets. You can read about it more just google Splenda usafe and you will see several sites about this. From now I was going to use natural sugar just a lot less of it. I can't believe this product is not banned. Take my advice people do not poison your body with these artificial sweeteners. Just use less real sugar. From now on it's unsweetened iced tea and only a half a sugar pack for my coffee.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

What I meant was the fact that MSG is put more directly and greater amounts into fast-food here in the US than in Japan.
Japan just seems to have plenty of it but they use it more like people do with salt & pepper; just putting a bit of it on top to make it taste better.
Whereas fast-food here in the US isn't even supposed to taste very good without the massive amounts of additives: preservatives, flavor enhancing chemicals, color enhancing chemicals, etc. And don't forget, a lot of other foods made also contain MSG and other chemicals.

That's a major reason for the high obesity rates here in the US.

The issue here isn't about a handful of chemicals that add to the problem, it's become an epidemic where America has become an artificial society. Most ingredients these days are manmade in laboratories rather than naturally made.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
ok, so where is the japanese angle? this turned out into a evil rumsfeld evil aspertame thread.

title is misleading. should be revised.

can someone verify that Japanese don't drink diet drinks?

The Japanese have drinks sweetened with Stevia which is a natural substance loads "sweeter" to the taste than sugar or corn syrups.

The Japanese banned the use of aspartame because it is evil and must be destroyed...

In general the Japanese are well aware of all the lies promulgated from the USA about food safety on a number of issues. That is why they were unimpressed with the USAmerican demands that they approve aspartame. They knew the science, knew it would harm their own people, and do not permit its use in drinks in Japan.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
After all these comments...........What is wrong with sugar ?......Nothing!

are you being serious?

I just want to be sure before I type up a reply, only to find you were being sarcastic in the first place.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well , I will be 50 in Dec. Have never in my life had a diet anything I am 5.8'' and have weighed 145 lbs for the last 30 yrs. (and I eat well ) all in house ,and never fast food ...Soo there you go .

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
And if it doesn't contain aspartame, it is sure to have high fructose corn syrup
HFCS which is just as bad. It has been linked to the high incidents of pediatric diabetes and the high percentage rate of obesity in Americans.
In the countrys that still use cane or beet sugar as the primary sweetner, their are very few "fat" people and very low rate of diabetes.
If you are 50 or over do you remember there being that many if any obese children when you went to school?
I live across from a middle school and I am amazed at the number of OBESE children waddling home. And it is not from lack of exercise.Here is a link.
The dangers of HFCS

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

yes, but its not 100% HFCS (although I will certainly agree that is a LEADING cause). Another thing to look at (or so I hear, as I was not alive back then) is the difference between portion sizes, and acceptable eating times. Now there are commercials telling people to eat at McDonalds if they get hungry at 3am.

The proper response is to drink some water, and go to sleep, not eat a day's worth of calories and fat content before remaining dormant for the next 6-8 hours.

re: vertol

it's important to take into consideration some people are predisposed to have a certain physical build (skinny, muscular, husky), known as somatotypes.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by scientist]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join