It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is lucid dreaming like the matrix?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I can vividly recall lucid dreaming on several occasions as a child. In these dreams I stayed in them and lucid for quite a long time. I can even recall at 9yo, informing my cousin (whom was in my dream) that I was currently dreaming! I then proceeded to prove this to her by flying and making a monster that was attacking our town disappear with a snap of my fingers. I know they say that you arent supposed to remember your dreams very well but every lucid dream Ive had has remained relatively vivid and fresh in my memory.

Now, Ive heard varying theories on what lucid dreams are all about. Some say its like being in the matrix and not only are you Neo but the "source" yourself. I agree, what I remember was very much like the matrix portrayed in the movie, maybe with a little less control though. However Ive seen some specials/documentaries about sleep and dreaming and they all raise some questions for me. Personally I think it is very vital and an interesting fact that almost, if not all (not positive) mammals sleep and their brains go through the same processes we do and lead to REM sleep. Who's to say that your own dream world is really just yours? What if we all in some way share the same dream world? If thats the case what does that mean for the animals when they dream? Is there a separate dream world for animals, or do they share one with humans?

Lets say just for the sake of this discussion that we do all share a dream world thats not sovereign.
And lets say that the animals go there too. If so I wonder if they would retain their normal physical forms or would they be represented in some other way? Could humans change their appearance in the dream world too? Now Im sure most of you have heard of '___' and its effects (which sound pretty amazing!) and its relationship with dreaming. I would like to know if there have been any studies or experiments that involved an attempt to share or make contact with another person in the "alternate reality" that so many claim to be transported to when under the effects of '___'. Or if not '___' induced I wonder if you could communicate with others while simultaneously lucid dreaming?! How awesome would that be to not only be able to be the star and director of your own show but bring a buddy along as well?! Personally I am now attempting to get back my ability to lucid dream now that Im an adult...I miss it! Is it because children spend more time in REM than adults that we lose the proclivity to lucid dream? God I hope not!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OldSoulOpenMind

There have been many experiments in "Shared Dreaming" but I have never read of any real conclusive evidence that it is possible. I used to participate in various Lucid Dreaming forums and there were experiments all the time with vague, hazy, maybe, could'a been type results.

I think that there is a lot to Lucid Dreaming and Astral Projection. I think that for two people to share a dream like that, they would have to be VERY adept at what they are doing. They would also have to be borderline soul mates. I think there are infinite possibilities in our minds and that for two people to land on the same point in space in that infinity would be for all intents and purposes, impossible.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
you can pretty much do anything you want in the ''matrix''.

I have experienced shared dreams with people who I have a connection or rapport with. It can be a useful tool for the growth of the mind and a way to grow spiritually too. or you could just have fun doing whatever it is that you want.
Its especially great if you are already a creative person, because you will get loads and loads of inspiration if you can willfully ''go lucid'' and remember.

I was just thinking about this 5 minutes ago...

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I know exactly what you mean by lucid dreams. I have had quite a few. I have found that if I can get to the point in my dream where I can realize it's a dream, then I can take over. Usually I chose to fly around. I had considered writing a script about shared dreaming but in a way, I am glad that we don't cause what if you starting sharing dreams with a coworker, or someone that doesn't like you to well.

Near Death Experiencers would say that dreaming actually is or can be a visit to the afterlife. Also, that people in the afterlife can visit us in our dreams, so in that sense, perhaps the dream world is a shared world after all. I had one dream in particular where I was sure I had made it to rhealms within the afterlife, the person I visited had a little dome hut, and he was spending our visit organizing stuff in his house. Very friendly fellow though my "gaydar" went off though I didn't mention it, I asked him about the universe, he said it was full of life, also that one of the planets was named tatoine, to that I replied, you mean like in Star Wars, he said yes, that brought back a memory that George Lucas had actually dreamed up that planet in a real dream and all of the creatures in that bar, perhaps it's a real place? Anyway I asked to talk to God, and just like God was a good old friend he simply called up into the air, "God, this person wants to talk to you", and without a second thought we were standing in a grass field with a dog that had a glow around it which kindof suprised me, then the glow came away from the dog and was obviously an orb of great power. It had a whisking movement about it, and the orb was checking out the scenery, inspecting probably, so I said, I always thought I couldn't meet you until I had died? God replied, I see things differently now. Then I said something like "I have always loved you", and he replied, "I love all my children." Anyway, that was the meat of the dream though the bible says not to make more out of dreams then what it is but it was still a beautiful dream, a chance for me to talk with my Father.

new topics

top topics

join