It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cover of the New Yorker: Barack in turban, Michelle with AK-47??

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Let me just say this:

- Anyone attacking those that are vocalizing their offense to this cover is attacking free speech.

- Anyone preaching to those offended over this cover about free speech, do not understand free speech.

It is that simple.

Free speech shouldn't even factor into this, as no one so far has said that the cover should be censored. I certainly do not believe it should be.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
We do?

How in the world do you know what Obama does off camera? What a specious claim.
I'm secretly a deep cover agent for Mossad, that's how I know. I thought you'd have already figured that out.

I should say then that McCain also doesn't pledge the flag when off camera.

Prove me wrong.
McCain has a flag and the pledge of allegiance tattoed on his chest.. Didn't you know that?

Just a recap: The point of the thread was to address the idea of whether or not people would get the satire in the cover (It's making fun of those that hold your assumptions as fact Lloyd) or feel their assumptions are justified by it and completely miss the point.

I can see most don't get it.
Satire was the point of the magazine cover, the point of this thread was a poorly veiled attempt at an Obama whine post. I know that, and so do you..

The New Yorker is a liberal publication....you do realize this right? This thread wasn't started with the premise that the cover should be destroyed or hidden. I was essentially questioning the ability to comprehend such satire in the average voter.
Yeah, I actually read it ocassionally, but I mostly just like looking at the pictures.

The cover is doing this as well.
In that sense it is brilliant.
I agree.

So you see, I am glad you like the cover Lloyd, but the joke is really on you.

- Lee
Yeah, I'm ashamed of my ignorance. I'll try to be more like you in the future..

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
I'm secretly a deep cover agent for Mossad, that's how I know. I thought you'd have already figured that out.

Mossad? Huh?

Joking your way out of a ridiculous claim and attempting to make me look paranoid in the process?

It's fine. Your accusation really made no sense anyway and I think you realize that as well.

I like jokes, so thanks.

McCain has a flag and the pledge of allegiance tattoed on his chest.. Didn't you know that?

We were talking about pledging allegiance to the flag off camera not tattoos. Way to switch topics. A tattoo of a flag doesn't make him any more patriotic than someone without one.

What's next?

Who has the bigger flag tattoo?

All this rubbish over who is the better patriot is a nonsensical waste of time. I have already proven that he pledges the flag. You seem to require not only that but a tattoo on his chest of the entire pledge. Maybe he should name his next child "America" like Abbie Hoffman did.

You're moving the goal post into the twilight zone.

- lee

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I like jokes, so thanks.
Humor is good for you lee, so don't take differences of opinion so seriously. bottom line, neither of us can definitively prove our assertions.

We were talking about pledging allegiance to the flag off camera not tattoos. Way to switch topics. A tattoo of a flag doesn't make him any more patriotic than someone without one.

What's next?

Who has the bigger flag tattoo?
McCain does..

All this rubbish over who is the better patriot is a nonsensical waste of time. I have already proven that he pledges the flag. You seem to require not only that but a tattoo on his chest of the entire pledge. Maybe he should name his next child "America" like Abbie Hoffman did.

You're moving the goal post into the twilight zone.

- lee
I have my beliefs about Obama, and so do you. I guess only time will tell who's right.

[edit on 7/15/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I have my beliefs about Obama, and so do you. I guess only time will tell who's right.

[edit on 7/15/08 by LLoyd45]

If it is just personal opinions then we are both right.

If our personal opinions are nothing provable just assumption and we try and pass off our "opinions" as "fact" then we are both wrong.

I haven't given you my personal opinion of Obama, I just said most of the stuff about him are lies and exaggeration.

New Yorker agrees.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Check this out. Joe calls this guy out on racist cartoons of Condi Rice, that the media ignored.

Picture from Pat Oliphant of the New York Times.
en.wikipedia.org...

Look at how he plays dumb. This guy works at the NYT and plays it off like hes never heard of such a thing. As much as I hate MSNBC, occasionally Joe grows a pair and stands up for the truth. Although, you'll notice he backs down a bit with the "liberals? No, main stream" comment.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I haven't given you my personal opinion of Obama, I just said most of the stuff about him are lies and exaggeration.
That's an opinion lee.

New Yorker agrees.

- Lee
They have to or be libel for slander and defamation of character.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Obama Speaks About Cartoon on Larry King

Video at Link.

"Well, I know it was the New Yorker€'s attempt at satire," Obama told Larry King. "I don't think they were entirely successful with it. But you know what, it's a cartoon, Larry, and that'€™s why we've got the First Amendment. And I think the American people are probably spending a little more time worrying about what'€™s happening with the banking system and the housing market, and what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, than a cartoon. So I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it."
"You know, this is actually an insult against Muslim Americans, something that we don't spend a lot of time talking about. And sometimes I've been derelict in pointing that out. You know, there are wonderful Muslim Americans all across the country who are doing wonderful things. And for this to be used as sort of an insult or to raise suspicions about me I think is unfortunate. And it's not what America is all about."

I feel a bit embarrassed that I never thought about the "insult to Muslims" angle of this. People have been trying to say Obama's a Muslim, as if that's something terrible. Ugh!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Obama Speaks About Cartoon on Larry King

Video at Link.

"Well, I know it was the New Yorker€'s attempt at satire," Obama told Larry King. "I don't think they were entirely successful with it. But you know what, it's a cartoon, Larry, and that'€™s why we've got the First Amendment. And I think the American people are probably spending a little more time worrying about what'€™s happening with the banking system and the housing market, and what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, than a cartoon. So I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it."
"You know, this is actually an insult against Muslim Americans, something that we don't spend a lot of time talking about. And sometimes I've been derelict in pointing that out. You know, there are wonderful Muslim Americans all across the country who are doing wonderful things. And for this to be used as sort of an insult or to raise suspicions about me I think is unfortunate. And it's not what America is all about."

I feel a bit embarrassed that I never thought about the "insult to Muslims" angle of this. People have been trying to say Obama's a Muslim, as if that's something terrible. Ugh!

Thats because its complete rubbish.

What the hell is he thinking? Hes a presidential candidate for christ's sake! Its almost as if hes trying to incite a reaction from Muslims. Doesn't he remember how Muslims react to cartoons they don't like?

In my opinion, that spin of his might get him in trouble.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Let me just say this:

- Anyone attacking those that are vocalizing their offense to this cover is attacking free speech.

True

- Anyone preaching to those offended over this cover about free speech, do not understand free speech.

True

It is that simple.

Almost true, some people are clouded by emotion, this renders thier ablity to use reason.

Now on the topic,

"Well, I know it was the New Yorker€'s attempt at satire," Obama told Larry King.

Attempt at satire... oh god... dude can't even admit when hes been had? Attempt at satire... HA... Obama is so arrogent, im sure everyone has know someone like this, just out of thier mind arrogent, belive thier above all else, and no one can criticise them. This is the kind of guy where you could pull a prank on them and scare them, and then they would spend the next 10 mins trying to convince you that they were only playing along.

Just an thought...

This is probaly going to be the New Yorkers best selling mag ever... and probaly the best 'print news' magizine, cover in many years...

And in that, in a time when ALL print news is dying, its already succeding in they are going to make money...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

That's an opinion lee.

That is an opinion of the lies/liars NOT a personal opinion of Obama that I hold which is what I directly said. You are not good at twisting someones words are you?

Please read carefully Llyod, or slowly so you can absorb and understand.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

"Well, I know it was the New Yorker€'s attempt at satire," Obama told Larry King.

Attempt at satire... oh god... dude can't even admit when hes been had?

I don't think he was. I think it WAS satire and he is right to brush it off.
If he hadn't there would be the cries of him being "sensitive" and not having a thick skin.

The New Yorker cover was a joke on the jokers.

I don't know if anyone saw this but Vanity Fair did a spoof of the Obama cover with McCain as the subject.

Vanity Fair Covers The New Yorker
by Vanity Fair
July 22, 2008, 12:10 PM

Cover-McCain2.jpgWe here at Vanity Fair maintain a kind of affectionate rivalry with our downstairs neighbors at The New Yorker. We play softball every year, compete for some of the same stories, and share an elevator bank. (You can tell the ones who are headed to the 20th floor by their Brooklyn pallor and dog-eared paperbacks.)

Vanity Fair

- Lee

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Barry Blitt Defends His New Yorker Cover Art Of Obama

I think the idea that the Obamas are branded as unpatriotic [let alone as terrorists] in certain sectors is preposterous. It seemed to me that depicting the concept would show it as the fear-mongering ridiculousness that it is. Huffington Post.com

I absolutely agree with him. As evident in this very forum there are MANY who arrogantly and egotistically challenge Obamas patriotism for not falling under the guidelines of the menial requirements they seem to personally have. I think that is a gutless and insulting thing to do to any American who has not overtly rejected, vilified and condemned the United States of America.

You have one flag not visible enough by their unrealistic standards, and here come the professed "super-patriots" to say claim he hates America. I doubt most of them could hold up under that sort of ignorant and ill-defined scrutiny.

It may not have been entirely understood (which is why I questioned that possibility) but it certain made a good point.

- Lee

[edit on 24-7-2008 by lee anoma]

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join