It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communion wafer held 'hostage' raises holy heck

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

He didn't. That isn't how it works. The Eucharist remains the Eucharist no matter who receives it and no matter what happens to it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
I was not sure.
People should know better, for sure.
And people need to show respect for other people's religion.
Doing something like that, in order to make a point is no way to get sympathy for your cause.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I understand completely that people take their various rituals very seriously. But lets turn the table just a bit.

Suppose God commanded me to begin a new church on this earth. One of the rituals of this new church involves the transubstantiation of a cracker into The Body of Graham.

Would any of the Catholic membership view The Holy Graham Cracker as something worthy of respect even though it differs from their own belief? Or would they put forth derision and ridicule? I suspect it would be the latter.

My point here (beyond trying to bring a little levity into such a serious topic) is that religious persons generally demand respect and even reverence toward their rituals and beliefs, yet these same people will often turn right around laughing and pointing fingers at some 'other' religion for what 'they' believe. I realize this is not always the case as I've observed some quite tolerant persons of faith, yet I have seen the opposite of this far too often to overlook.

It's not only the 'heathens' who are guilty of showing disrepect toward others....

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I really dont want to bring my dislike of the Catholic church and their nonsensical, non-biblical religious rules into this discussion, but on the other hand, I did not want to post a one line comment, but still wanted to add a quote by one of today's great philosophers, H. Simpson.

"Mmmmm.... Sacri-litious!"

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I live in Florida,and something stupid like that story sounds about par for the course.

Religion,illogic and hypocrisy rule here.

I am completely amazed at some of the rediculousness and stupidity I have seen and heard here,it is one of the most screwed up places I have ever visited,I have been to third world countries that are more organised,and safer too.

This place is dangerous,I would highly recommend anyone thinking of visiting Florida to avoid it.

Really,all you have to do is watch the news stories coming from this place to know there is something terribly wrong here.

All you have to do is look at what this state has produced,TV shows and movies about things here like CSI Miami,Miami Vice,Monster...Disneyland,all the killings robberies and pointless death on the roads...The list goes on,the things that happen here are glorified somehow by the media,and the place is so screwed up.

Avoid Florida.

Oh yeah,I really don't want to hear about your being offended by what I say about your state,OK?,if you harbor loyalty to a legal fiction,you just don't know any better anyway.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
Or would they put forth derision and ridicule? I suspect it would be the latter.

The Catholic faith would not agree with it however to automatically assume that the church would 'put forth derision and ridicule' is wrong.

The Catholic faith clearly states that there is truth in all religions however the Catholic church firmly believes that 'the fullness of faith can only be found in the Catholic church'. This belief that 'we are the right faith' is no different from most Christian faiths.

There is no 'derision and ridcule' in that statmeent.

BTW .. did you see Pope Benedict on his trip to Turkey? He prayed in a mosque with the Muslims.

You seem to be saying this - the Catholics would probably lower themselves and put forth derision and ridicule on others so I'm going to go ahead and roll in the mud to make fun of the Catholic faith because I think they'd do the same thing.

Does that sum it up?

Question - would you all go out and get a gang of people together to go collect up all the Muslim Qu'rans that you could find just to rub them in piles of pig poo based upon your assumption that all Muslims are full of 'derision and ridicule' for other religions?

That's the equivalent of what you are doing to Catholics here. Just FYI.

[edit on 7/14/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
LOL

We used to call them ice cream wafers...

Thats pretty much what they were...

Sometimes we would eat them, then other times we would do all sorts of things with them.

This whole story is ridiculous.

'Christ Crackers' lol.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by seenitall]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The Catholic faith would not agree with it however to automatically assume that the church would 'put forth derision and ridicule' is wrong.

Actually, I was not referring to the church itself (I think I made that clear in my post). My question was "Would any of the Catholic membership"....

In my own experience, the answer to the question I posed has often been 'yes'. I've seen it with my own eyes and I've seen it here on ATS as well.

You seem to be saying this - the Catholics would probably lower themselves and put forth derision and ridicule on others so I'm going to go ahead and roll in the mud to make fun of the Catholic faith because I think they'd do the same thing.

Let me clear up what I 'seem' to be saying by stating it here: I have observed a tendency for people of many religions to demand reverence and respect from non members toward their views yet often, they themselves do not project that same reverence and respect toward other religious views.

Question - would you all go out and get a gang of people together to go collect up all the Muslim Qu'rans that you could find just to rub them in piles of pig poo based upon your assumption that all Muslims are full of 'derision and ridicule' for other religions?

I certainly can't speak for 'you all', but my own answer is no. What a ridiculous question by the way. If I ever do pick up a Qu'ran, my first instinct will be to do some reading.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
While I understand that there is and 'all things to all people' thing going on here I cannot get my head around a communion wafer being protected by guards.This will lead to open season by comedians everywhere and probably Alex Jones will turn up with his bullhorn dem anding the wafer is freed and blaming the Bilderbergers.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is as stupid and unreasonable as Muslim extremist going ape over Koran being burned/disrespected.

PEOPLE, it is a cracker, just a silly cracker.

Now these "GOOD" Catholics are sending death threats.: flame:

As I have always said, religious extremist "ALL" tend to act stupid and "holier than tho".

The only reason I have not "YET" referred to them as murdering animals is, to the best of my knowledge, no one has been killed over this.

Be very clear, "IF" that were to happen, those "good" Catholic’s are just as bad as those who murder innocent men/women/children in the M.E. IMO, religion makes idiots out of most people.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

This place is dangerous,I would highly recommend anyone thinking of visiting Florida to avoid it.

I have lived in Florida for 25 years.
This is my advice:
You can look at a road map and think, "here is a road that looks like can save us 20 miles."
Resist the temptation and believe me, you are a lot better off staying on the Interstates.
I will go, regularly 100 extra miles, it is well worth it.

<< 1   >>

join