It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being too fat 'can damage sperm'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Being too fat 'can damage sperm'

news.bbc.co.uk

Obese men have poorer quality sperm, perhaps because too much fat around their testicles causes them to heat up, scientists have suggested.

The heaviest men had a higher proportion of abnormal sperm, as well as other problems.

The scientists told a European fertility conference losing weight probably boosted fertility.

Being obese is already known to affect women's chances of getting pregnant.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   

"But if weight actually has a detrimental effect on sperm quality, that's really interesting," he said

"It's one more reason for men to lose weight."

That's one more reason to lose weight alright. Looks like natural selection is in favor of low body weight as well.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah, but how many fat people are actually having sex?

Makes for a great joke.....You're so fat, even your sperm won't get up off its ass!
OK maybe not so funny.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

brings a new meaning to survival of the fittest

rest removed as it may be ignorant

[edit on 11-7-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
im 6'3 265lbs, isnt that fat? or are we going with 300+ lbs?

any rate I have 3 kids, had no problem having kids, even got my wife prego on depo.

Maybe Im just Big Boned lol.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I’m on the opposite end of being fat, but to suggest that fat people do not, cannot or will not be having sex is rather shallow and ignorant.

Just because one person does not find that person attractive does not mean another may not. There are plenty of things I am not attracted to the very large being one of them, but for instance I am not attracted to those who are tall, anything over a light tan, or the very short. That is just me and my disinterests, they do not make me a bad person but I also understand that some will find one or all of those to be very exciting.

I have seen some very large men (fat) with some very nice looking women. These guys did not have money so that was not the case. Believe it or not some people out there look beyond the outward appearance of others to see who they are on the inside. Why should this turn into a fat bashing thread? Just because you do not approve of their life style or their appearance does not mean there may not be someone having weight issues reading this thread. Not all overweight people can help their situation, though many can. But they also have feelings and should be seen and regarded as humans as well. Why make their weight and them the butt end of a joke?

As for the article though I can understand how large deposits of fat would cause a reduction in sperm. Fat is on the body as an insulator provided by nature. Only nature does have a hard time in dealing with our new (and improved?) sources of food.

Anyway that is just my opinion on the whole thing.

Raist

join