It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT researchers turn everyday windows into solar panels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

MIT researchers turn everyday windows into solar panels

www.computerworld.com

Instead of covering a roof with expensive solar panels, the new solar cells need only to be around the edges of a flat glass panel. The concentrated light increases the electrical power obtained from each solar cell by a factor of more than 40, noted Baldo.

To create the concentrator system, researchers mix multiple dyes that they basically paint onto a pane of glass or plastic. The dyes absorb light across a range of wavelengths. The energy then is pushed out to the edges of the pane, where it's stored in solar cells there.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I swear, every time I turn around it seems I see some new breakthrough in alternative energy.

This new tech. is simple and relatively inexpensive to manufacture,

Because the system is relatively simple to manufacture, MIT reported that it could be implemented within three years.

It can be used to increase the output of existing solar technology,

Baldo added that the technology also could be used to soup up more traditional solar panels, increasing their efficiency by 50%.

And it opens up the possibility of using large buildings as solar collectors.

The major impediment to widely deployed solar-power systems has been cost," Baldo told Computerworld. "If you have a big building, you should be able to generate 50 to 60 watts per square meter. The thing with windows is you need a large area of windows. It makes a lot of sense with tall buildings or really big buildings."

With companies looking to go green and cut down on the amount of money they're spending on energy, solar power is gaining attention. And this advancement could help major buildings with lots of windows generate some of their own electricity.

Great news here, the future is indeed looking 'bright' on the solar energy front. Watch the video below for a bit more technical detail on how it works.

Video

www.computerworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-7-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK

I swear, every time I turn around it seems I see some new breakthrough in alternative energy.

Ya ironic isnt it?

they slam for alt fuel and now all this new crap is coming out...

Odd indeed, odd indeed.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, I see this as humanity finally returning to it's senses. We live draped in energy, literally from all around us, and yet live in a scarcity economy. It's nothing but elitist selfish stupidity mixed in with a rather forced ignorance of the general population. I suspect that the war on the middle class is an elitist effort to stop the people of earth from realizing just how amazingly abundant our environment is. And thus break control.

I fully expect my house and transport to be energy independent withing 5 years. And then I can really focus on what I want to do, not waste time in dead end jobs that give the lion's share of the profit to someone already far richer than I am.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK

I don't know how many people are aware of the "tech curve..." But knowing of it, I would expect that at this time we would see astonishing rapidity in developments.

The "tech curve" was plotted from about 5000 years ago, placing tech advances on a graph. For the first 4000 years + the line was basically flat (very slight rise). Then, as we might expect, the rise becomes somewhat noticeable.

As it moves along into the 19th century, it starts upwards quite noticeably, and the 20th century shows a very clear upwards rise. In fact, the curve is geometric in nature.

The curve was done, I believe, in the early 1990's, and when they plotted the future course of tech advance, they discovered that it went effectively infinite in... Guess when.

Heh. Late 2012.

Given that we are approaching that late 2012 date, I would expect more and greater advances nearly daily. And I would expect more and more and more.

So, as I said, I expect these marvels, and every time I "turn around." [smile]

Great find, though. We wouldn't want this to be suppressed, though we might not see it mentioned much in the MSM....

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, this is exciting news! Thanks much for bringing it to us. I'm in the throes of trying to figure out what type of PV cell will give us the best bang for our buck, and figuring out systems to protect the cells. The latter part -- we have 1 1/2" wood frames around our doors and windows that are inset 3/4" for our hang-in-place hurricane shutters. I was considering that I could build the same thing on the roof for PV panels, to protect against impact if, say, we had a hurricane coming. I might be a bit of a hassle going up on the roof to close them, but nothing compared to having to remove the panels, or the expense of having them get ruined.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
see, i don't think anyone should buy into the 2012 stuff. it is said that civilization as we know it will come to a halt, that could mean the way we live now will have no grip on how we live and what we know in 2012. I don't think some myans were really calculating the end of the world, and besides there has been thousands of predictions for the end. can't wait till the curve spikes, thanks for the post!

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You know I quite like stained glass windows and what a way to bring colour into your home than a practical energy solution.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I saw a clip awhile back showing a flexible solar panel. It comes in a roll and it is applied to a rooftop like linoleum. The fact that it needs no framework makes it fairly easy to install and maintain.

I spent some time trying to find the clip for you but damned if I can find it again.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I wonder how this affects the normal function of windows, letting the light enter the building.

If it creates more power but makes people use more power because they loose natural light then it's not that great, but still welcome.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Lately these types of tech advancements are the bright spots in my days.

Free or nearly free energy...yeah...for my children and grandchildren...no middle east...yeah...no cartels with their obscene profits.

It is doable right NOW!!

Thanks for posting!! S&F.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
50% increased efficiency of standard cells is certainly nothing to scoff at. That's quite the boost in power.

Is he starting a commercial company?

top topics

join