It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bertha Headed to NYC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have been tracking this storm for some time now. First i heard the forcasters stating it will weaken and just become a bad rain event. Then the storm shocked everyone one and shot up to a Cat. 3 in a day.
link
Bertha has gone down but is steadly increasing its winds and size. in fact the past 5 hours or so the storm really picked up intensity.

link

But the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in its path lay warm waters, which provide fuel for tropical storms and hurricanes, and that unfavorable atmospheric wind conditions that had weakened Bertha abruptly on Tuesday were dissipating.

wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov...

Here is the current Jet stream

Now if you look at where this thing is headed i would bet that it is going to hit ny, nj area.

And on a maybe related topic, i was listening to web bot predictions the other night and i remeber them saying there will be a coastal event that wil make the citizens out raged when the government pulls another Katrina event, aka nothing.
edit: Yeah i thought so here it is, look at the april section
egocentral.invisionzone.com...
I just wanted to share this with you guys just incase something does come from it.

What do you think?

[edit on 9-7-2008 by UnitedSatesofFreemasons]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Im not sure why anyone gave you a star and flag for this thread...

not only is your post wrong, it's just more fear mongering and dis info on ATS.

the hurricane isn't headed for newyork.. I know, pretty sexy fantasy, but it's not reality.. and no.. it's not a cat 3.. it's a cat 1

I know you really want ats points, but try and post something factual, accurate and worth while please..

here's the latest noaa report:

WTNT32 KNHC 091437
TCPAT2
BULLETIN
HURRICANE BERTHA ADVISORY NUMBER 26
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL022008
1100 AM AST WED JUL 09 2008

...BERTHA MAINTAINING CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE STRENGTH...

AT 1100 AM AST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE BERTHA WAS LOCATED
NEAR LATITUDE 24.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 57.5 WEST OR ABOUT 550 MILES...
885 KM...NORTHEAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS AND ABOUT 715
MILES...1150 KM...SOUTHEAST OF BERMUDA.

BERTHA IS NOW MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...
19 KM/HR. A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST WITH A DECREASE
IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 75 MPH...120 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 30 MILES...45 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140
MILES...220 KM.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 987 MB...29.15 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 1100 AM AST POSITION...24.2 N...57.5 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...987 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
500 PM AST.

$$
FORECASTER RHOME

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This year will be an active Hurricane season. Bertha is just the beginning.
I believe lots of damage will be done. Prepare if your on the coastal areas.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Well, he/she has been a member for three or so months longer than you and has less points than you, so no...probably not a point whore. A member is just floating an idea. Play nice.

ANYWAY, to the OP's point...I find the web-bot technology pretty fascinating. The one consistent prediction is a global caostal event. Whatever that means. Will it be Bertha? We'll see.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
per weather.com, it is going to head back up towards a hurricane again but the projected path looks to be way west of the states.

www.weather.com...

and with that, I'll leave you with this

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
nothing to see here folks..

www.wunderground.com...

i said this in a post along time ago and ill say it again.

im so sick of hearing about katrina. im gonna get me a dog name it levey and kick it every time it rains..

katrina was what 5 years ago get over it.

oh no the big bad Government stoped local government from using their own school busses to evacuate. idiots.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I know I came off a bit harsh, but I just find alot of people "floating" ideas that just don't make any sense based on reality.
Berth is NOT the CGE that webbot was talking about.. not only is that not gonna happen till early/mid 2009, but a cat 3 is not a coastal/global event.. come on guys... use your nogin.

I guess I wish people would stop the chicken little routine... and stick to facts..

and IF this is a prediction, maybe the thread should be moved to the prediction forum...

anyways..

much like you guys, I too will be watching bertha.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble

im so sick of hearing about katrina. im gonna get me a dog name it levey and kick it every time it rains.

Rarely do I actually LOL. Good one.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
Yeah, I know I came off a bit harsh, but I just find alot of people "floating" ideas that just don't make any sense based on reality.

I guess I wish people would stop the chicken little routine... and stick to facts..

much like you guys, I too will be watching bertha.

What i find most interesting about you bashing is you trust in weather reports, your "reality". Considering you didn't know, Bertha shouldn't even be Bertha anymore if we are going by the reports. When it became a Cat. 1 hurricane the reports came in that it will start to break down and become a tropical depression. And even the path it should of taken was called wronge. I understand hurricanes are tricky to predict, but with that said, they have called nothing right about this storm. but hey! you keep trusting them!

But i sure hope your right, i hope it does move off east, i live in Queens, Ny.

On a side note, check out this.

On July 1, a tropical wave emerged off of the coast of Africa. On July 3, a weak low-level circulation developed while located 500 miles south of Cape Verde. The disturbance moved westward, and on July 5, it strengthened into a tropical depression in the central Atlantic. The depression tracked westward across the open waters of the Atlantic along the western periphery of a subtropical ridge. Later that day, the depression was upgraded to a tropical storm. Over the next three days, Bertha tracked west-northwest while gradual intensification was occurring. On July 7, Tropical Storm Bertha was upgraded to a hurricane with sustained winds of 75 mph (120 km/h).[1]

link

that was 1996
same name, and same time frame... weird.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
your right.. I do trust weather reports... and my own eyes.. all I have to do is look at where it has been and where it might go...

im bashing the fact you just made things up.

and yeah yeah yeah.. bertha shouldn't be bertha... well, bertha ISN'T the cat 3 you said it was.. ssoooo yeah.

your right, the weather reports are often wrong.. you know who's more likely to be wrong? you!

now I kinda hope it does hit your general area... just so you can prove me wrong

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
check out the tropical storm section on wunderground.com sometime. they have great strom trackers. looks like it will barely scrape past the new england states if at all:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
your right.. I do trust weather reports... and my own eyes.. all I have to do is look at where it has been and where it might go...

im bashing the fact you just made things up.

and yeah yeah yeah.. bertha shouldn't be bertha... well, bertha ISN'T the cat 3 you said it was.. ssoooo yeah.

your right, the weather reports are often wrong.. you know who's more likely to be wrong? you!

now I kinda hope it does hit your general area... just so you can prove me wrong

>SNIP - Mod Edit< This place is about alt. news. Your just head hunting!

And you don't even read well...

Then the storm shocked everyone one and shot up to a Cat. 3 in a day.

Bertha has gone down but is steadly increasing its winds and size.

You right i did say it became a cat. 3. But never did i say it is, i even said it went down! This is the last i will post to you. i know you disagree, now end it and move on to someone elses post.

[Mod Edit to remove inappropriate language and personal attack. Please don't do that.]

[edit on 7/10/2008 by yeahright]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Nicely done Crakeur.

Im surprised they are using the name Bertha again as there was a hurricane Bertha in 1996 that hit camden, nj (after it was just a storm and not necessarily a hurricane) pretty badly during a furthur festival performance by the remaining members of the dead.

Tela

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
per weather.com, it is going to head back up towards a hurricane again but the projected path looks to be way west of the states.

Wow! That must be some track!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

east, sorry bout that. I was facing the wrong way?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
>SNIP mod edit to remove quote of edited material above<

[If you see something you feel requires attention, please use the Suggestion/Complaint function in the Member Center or the ALERT button at the bottom of every post. Quoting it compounds the problem. Thanks.]

[edit on 7/10/2008 by yeahright]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It seems that Bertha has stalled off the coast? I moved slightly twards the states but is not just going off east like everyone said it would.

Wonder whats going to happen?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

according to this morning's weather, nothing more than some rough seas offshore will be expected for the NY area. not sure how far offshore that is but the forecast is rather good for the next few days.

weather.com has the storm heading out to sea

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I've been following storms for years (when you live in Hawaii it's always a good idea and it's fascinating as hell too). Most of the storms that I've followed on this track tend to head northwest, and then swing back east out to sea without ever making landfall, before breaking up out to sea. They are very difficult to predict where they are going sometimes, but this track seems to be pretty steady.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yeah it does seem it will just get out to sea, i just don't know why it hasn't yet. It's been in that genral are for about 3 days now.

Does anyone have any news from bermuda? They doin okay, sure hope they are.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join