It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If CERN is succesful does that mean we are on the verg of light speed travel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This is really just a random thought, and I pretty much know nothing about the topic beyond the little research I have done. Basiclly my question is if Cern is succesful in their experiments does that mean we are getting close to light speed travel?

"The LHC will accelerate particles to close to the speed of light. To reach this breath-taking speed, the particles will receive a "kick" from the accelerating cavities INSTALLED IN P 4 ONLY on each lap of the 27-km ring. In one second, they will perform 11,000 laps of the ring, thus travelling three-quarters of the distance from the Earth to the Moon"

lhc2008.web.cern.ch...

If scientists are able to almost reach light speed on the atomic level what stops them from reaching this at, not sure how to put it, a normal level? As I said I have very little knowlegde on this subject so feel free to comment.

edit for spelling

[edit on 9-7-2008 by hILB3rT]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
No, I would say were on the verge of time travel, or inter-dementional travel!

Someone needs to remember to say hi to John Titor!!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I would think that in order to achieve time travel or inter-dementional travel we would first have to master the ability to travel at the speed of light. Then again if your traveling through demensions are we really moving in the sense of distances?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hILB3rT
reply to post by LDragonFire

I would think that in order to achieve time travel or inter-dementional travel we would first have to master the ability to travel at the speed of light. Then again if your traveling through demensions are we really moving in the sense of distances?

Originally posted by Geneticus
John Titor predicted that the CERN insisutution would accidentally discover the technology that allows for time travel. So far, his predictions have been tracking well with reality...CERN is now underway building their biggest-ever proton-proton collider. Some researchers have now pointed out that one result might be the creation of "Mini Black Holes", or as John Titor called them...microsingularities...
John Titor Was Right: CERN to begin producing Black Holes

So the speed of light would be irrelevant.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You see there is a big difference. They are planning to accelerate these particles to some stupidly high fraction of the speed of light. Thing is, each ion has an insanely tiny amount of mass. Accelerating anything of a 'macro' size to these speeds would take more energy than has ever been produced on Earth by humans, ever.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is very hypothetical, but do you think it possible to convert the energy from nuclear explosions into a form capable of producing the amount needed to move something larger then an atom? Or am I jsut confusing myself further?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Possible? Sure, there is nothing that would explicitly prevent this. A nuclear reactor is a controlled nuclear "explosion". You cannot accelerate to or past the speed of light, however, no matter how big or small.

Can it be done? No.

top topics

join