It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you tell if your phone is tapped?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truth

I have heard of remote veiwiing before. They can literally listen in witout any phone even being on. .

Remote viewing is not about tapping phones its about using psychics to meditate and "view" via ESP the place in question.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
I am fairly certain that taps by local gov't or private detectives or other less sophisticated organizations are going to give you clicks, static and show a reading on tap sensors that are available; however, if Uncle Sam, as in the NSA, Secret Service, etc want to tap in on your line, you will never know it...

This is true. Years ago, at another location, my phone was verified as tapped, locally, someone would call and we'd let the answering machine would pick it up. The anwsering machine would click off before the tap stopped recording. We'd get a dial tone.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

How can you tell if your phone is tapped?

If the people kicking in your front door in the middle of the night dont tell you the judge will

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Intelgurl > you wouldnt happen to have some more info on those vans you mentioned would you? Computer snooping and geek-ness is my hobby, so I like to keep abrest of things like this.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Intelgurl > you wouldnt happen to have some more info on those vans you mentioned would you? Computer snooping and geek-ness is my hobby, so I like to keep abrest of things like this.

It's an NSA electronic eavesdropping system called "TEMPEST".
Basically every computer gives off RF or electromagnetic radiation as the user operates it.
The tempest is a standoff unit that can sense the rf and interpret it into images on the computer screen and keystrokes on the keyboard.
Proximity has to be close (as in parked outside your house or apartment building), alternatively a small transmitter box can be placed near your computer which will capture these signals and relay them to a reciever which then translates the data into keystrokes and images.

There are ways to circumvent this - you can probably find that info on the web.

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I've added a bit of info for those who skipped it. My reasons for slight paranoia are as follows:
(Not to be redundant, but) I've lived in this house for a couple of years... no prob. My old neighbors move out and NEW neighbors move it. They rarely ever leave the house and NEVER speak to anyone. (Odd, we are in a fairly friendly neighborhood... borderline PLEASANTVILLE). I can live with that.
A few months later, a couple of Feds come to my door and question me about my neighbors.... one of them having a LARGE file folder on one of the family.
A day later my phone is completely acting weird. Clicks... echos, disconnections for some reason. I've called the phone company several times to "repair" the problem, with no avail. They had even put in a supposed new line.
Strange deliveries in the middle of the night.... it goes on.
The next thing I know, the family across the street is gone, when I say gone... GONE, within less than a day. The house is conveniently vacant.
I've replaced the phones in my home with expensive new sets, along with phone jacks, still the clicking etc. remains.

Someone here and a friend of mine suggested that there is a phone number that you can call to find out if the phone is actually tapped...
Does anyone know what the number is?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
i thought the gov already had a computer program that would pick up keywords in conversations? the phone lines are already open, no one is talking on a secure line here.

the clicks you hear might be a recording device, all lines are tapped thou

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuTroll
i thought the gov already had a computer program that would pick up keywords in conversations? the phone lines are already open, no one is talking on a secure line here.

the clicks you hear might be a recording device, all lines are tapped thou

Ah, Troll, I know what you're thinking of.

You're thinking of ECHELON. It's scary, scary stuff, I'll tell you that, but I don't think we really have to be worried about it. However, I'm terrified of phone bugs for some reason. i'm not involved in anything Illegal (unless extreme leftist ideas are illegal).

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Well as others mentioned, there are some tell-tale signs that will sureley reveal if your line is tapped. If you have seen the trucks, and your neighbors are under watch, then there is a good chace that you tapped.

J.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
If you know how to use an ohmmeter and know what to look for. Use that. Phones (in the states run off of 40 volts dc)--(unless that has changed recently)

or you could buy one of these

"This telephone line wire tap detector and deactivator has six levels of protection against virtually any phone line wire tap or eavesdropping equipment that has been placed on your phone line. The line wire tap detector automatically deactivates all known line wire tapping devices.

The digital display on the detector constantly informs you of on-hook and off-hook line voltage so you will know immediately when a telephone line wire tap has been placed on your phone line. If there is a drastic change in line voltage some type of eavesdropping equipment has been placed on your phone line.

www.online-detective.us...

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Scream a bunch of threats into the phone concerning power plants, the president, and Americans and wait for the jack booted, HK carrying, all black thugs to come crashing through your kitchen window. I promise we here on ATS will help pay for your defense. Trust me

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This is true. My phone is currently tapped. I learned this by measuring the frequency of a high pitched sound that I was able to make out. There is a database of tapping frequncies, but I dont have the link. Different agencies tap on different frequencies.

Vote for me!

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
wait for the clicking to start, then quickly hang up the phone and conenct using dial-up...annoy the # out of them with the sound.
would that even work?

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I hear a loud beep silence for a sec then a small click and occasionally other faint clicks when I talk to my mother on the phone. I keep wondering if my other relatives who live in the same house are monitoring my mother's phone calls even though it's a different line. I'm further suspicious because they gave her a cell phone as a christmas present and shortly afterward sent a harsh message via letter to all siblings threatening to kick her out even though she paid them very well to take care of her. On the other hand my mother has called the local phone company and they told her they were working on it. She did say there was a "telephone" van just down the road.

The nsa can watch any windows pc on the net unless you disabled the known "secret" microsoft codes. There could be other codes too to see on windows pc's but I wouldn't know. I already heard all phone calls and electronic communication are constantly monitored via computer. This doesn't bother me anymore.

What bothers me alot is the thought of the local government trying to make money by installing cameras at stop light intersections to take pictures so they can mail you a ticket. I thought it was really eerie when about 3 or 4 stop lights in a row suddenly started to turn yellow at 3 to 4 am with no other cars around as I approached.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

[If the people kicking in your front door in the middle of the night dont tell you the judge will

Does the little (c) down the street TP'ing my house count?

I only posted this topic because I'm concerned. My rights are being infringed upon, and I'm not liking it.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
On the other hand my mother has called the local phone company and they told her they were working on it. She did say there was a "telephone" van just down the road.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. They are ALWAYS working on it.
I'm not exaggerating any of this by the way. It creeps me out to the point I was even hesitant to registering with the site.
Sad, but true

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I know how you feel a bit, I actually started talking like my relatives were on the line listening to my "private" conversation with my mother. I believed I may have raised my voice with some not so nice words. If I suddenly thought it was someone else, then that would be irritating too. The loud beeps and clicks are very annoying. I stop and say -are you there?

I stated that I was going to visit with some special equipment to detect "things" and suddenly a loud beep and click occurred, then another immediately after that. I don't know if it's the stupid phone company or what it is.

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a change in white background noise, or static.
but it's hard to tell since you got your basic solar flare activity on old copper.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
a change in white background noise, or static.
but it's hard to tell since you got your basic solar flare activity on old copper.

Not to sound blantantly ignorant, but what does the solar flare activity have to do with it?
Are all telephone lines copper?

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I only posted this topic because I'm concerned. My rights are being infringed upon, and I'm not liking it.

If done by the Government I doubt that you COULD find out because it could be tapped into ANYWHERE on the line.

The first question I would ask is "am I doing anything that the Government would wont to waste there limited amount of agents to sit arround and watch my ass?"

Are you a high ranking crime figure?
How about world wide terriost or assassin?
Are you currently involved in a plot to overthrow the government?
Has one of your henchmen recently been captured and forgot his poision pill?
Have you noticed any new faces in your seceret underground base?

If the answer to these questions is no than I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Seriuosly unless you are into something fairly BIG they have bigger fish to fry

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join