It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hancock Hollywood Conspiracy Theory(Whoa!)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You Guys tell me what you think-very thought provoking.

SOURCE: blog.myspace.com...

I know I know I'm a conspiracy theorist…

It's just a coincidence that the first "superhero" depicted on the silver screen as a criminal, alcoholic, lazy, foul mouthed, not giving a you know what bum, living in a broken down trailer, who everybody hates including the people he saves, *just happens* to *be black.*

Right?

And, it's just a coincidence the one man who loves Hancock, has faith in him and truly cares about him as a person; is an idealistic white man who wants to save the entire planet. Let's call him the Anti-Bush. Oh and I can't forget his adorable little son is the only character, besides his loving father, that doesn't refer to Hancock as an a**hole.

Right?

And, is it just a coincidence that Hancock only maintains his super powers if he stays away from a "beautiful" white woman who is *technically* his wife.

*You have got to be kidding, right??!!*

I mean, of course the Blacks and Latinos hate Hancock because the only ones depicted in the movie are criminals, and although he does an extremely poor job, is often late, drunk, unshaven, shabbily dressed and does more damage than good (just coincidences!) he does, at the very least, fight crime.

But, everything changes for friendless Hancock when he saves a white man with a heart of gold and an angel of a son who wants to help Hancock with his "image". (Because of course America won't accept an always drinking and cursing black man with a rap sheet, I mean who does he think he is Lil Wayne?) In a matter of minutes he convinces Hancock to turn himself in and go to jail. He even writes his press conference speech for him!

Mr. Save the World then proceeds to "civilize" the savage Hancock by convincing him to stop drinking, shave, wear a hero uniform, treat other people with kindness and consideration, and even how to land without ruining public property. Things that; in the 80 years he remembers being a superhero, poor Hancock never seemed to figure out.

After his much needed "makeover" Hancock finally receives the love of the people he was always looking for. And, even when he realizes he is not the only superhero and his "savior's" wife is his long lost love, he gladly leaves because when they are together they become "mortals". Plus, she was smart enough to hide her powers, because unlike Hancock; she could care less about saving people -- she just wants to live a "normal" life. (How ironic that her husband wants to save the world and she actually has the power to do so but selfishly refuses to do so because she prefers being a spaghetti cooking, house wife.)

The black man, even though he's a superhero, needs the white man to properly educate him and integrate him into his society and the white woman who is also a superhero has to hide her power just to keep her white man *

(coincidence!!!)*

Come on now, we all know that any woman in her right mind would take Jason Bateman over Will Smith, and of course Hancock does have his bird to keep him company (yes, it's literally a bird).

But, please don't leave right after the movie ends or you'll miss a bug eyed Mike Epps playing — You guessed it, a jive talking criminal— one steaming pile of white supremacy with a coon on top!

Don't believe me?

Well, just compare Hancock to the other superheroes of the summer like millionaire, genius, scientist Iron-man or millionaire, playboy, martial art expert Batman. Hell, even Bruce Banner (The Hulk) is a world renown scientist who only seems to get into trouble when his skin is no longer…….I know, I know I'm a conspiracy theorist.

Well, at least there is one more action movie coming out this summer that stars a black man! Don Cheadle plays a Black Muslim and former solider with apparent connections to a number of terrorist operations in a movie called "TRAITOR".

OK, OK, *I'm sure this is just a coincidence.*

Right?

*Questions or comments contact Jasiri X

[edit on 7/8/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

The 1st black super hero on the movie screen I think was Spawn. Although he wasn't exactly criminal or alcoholic, but he does fit some of the other descriptions.

I enjoyed your post though.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
It could also be a way of depicting the change in our concept of the stereotypical black man.
We have our former view in the shape of lazyness, carelessness... a bum, a menace to society. But he grows into becoming our hero.
We're speaking in concept here...

So apply this to the situation today. There have been several posts over time about how many crimanel black people there are, "black youths are doomed" etc (overstatement for the purpose of clarification).
But now Americans are on the brink of having their first black president. The hero... a man to change our perception of a race of people.

His drawing to the white woman is a way to describing his tolerance towards those who previously tried to surpress him, and her trying to stay away is a way of keeping the intolerance from the "white" side out of the spotlight. They both need to be strong... white and black, in order to co-exist.
The statement that he is "God's" exception, I don't think should be taken litteraly, but it strengthens the notion that having a black protect us is not a bad thing, if the person behind the protecting has a good heart.

The 80 years, represents a timeline in which the black man has been trying to redeem himself and find his place, but was kept "ignorant" because of fear of what might happen. He needed the time to gain insight and accepting this change.. so did she.

Now the time has come, and people are ready.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Word, I didn't even think about Spawn. thanks for the reply though.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well let me understand where you are coming from...you are saying that hollywood is trying to depict all black men as basically rife with bad habits and prone to criminal activity and it is a conspiracy right? Well how about the conspiracy that is teaching ALL young people to basically act like their favorite rock/rap/actor/sport stars and glorify immoral behavior, violence, and general disdain for decency that we see every day in every entertainment venue you can think of. I think the people who are the easiest marks are the uneducated poor youngsters from the hood be they black or some other shade, because in order to survive in the hood you pretty much have to do as the others do right? I think you should address the underlying problem rather than point out your perceived discriminatory view as it pertains to hollywood.

I believe there is a conspiracy by some in hollywood to bring about as much chaos as they can, and make huge profit while doing it...not by everyone in hollywood, but there are some powerful moguls who are pure evil make no mistake about that. The big picture is always the hardest to see because it requires thought on multiple levels.

And I guess your aware of the percentage of incarcerated criminals being decidedly minority in nature, which I think pretty much tells the story...

Blacks are being conditioned to act just the way they see those they look up to act like tupac, or fiddy, or any other thuggish actor or rap star.

And it's not just a black thing, the young white kids are taught to act the same way, you know let's go get some hoes and cruise around with our homies and gang bang and make some jack by selling coke or whatever, and did you jes dis me I'll pop a cap in you mother @$%#*, and gain respect by going to jail and everyone will look up to me and I'll be one bad motha, until one day another motha who is just as bad busts a cap in you and it's for keeps...and the cycle goes on & on.

That's the real conspiracy, the one that only those who have the right morals and decency can see.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by flice

I totally agree Flice. Cool Insight

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Interesting, but I'm sure I have seen movies with black superheroes in the past, actually quite a few.

And the fact that he was black never came to my mind at all. Just oh it's Will Smith, maybe I'll watch this some day.

But you do bring up a few good points.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

thats what really happens. These Minority's see their kind making it by acting a certain way, like tupac, "fiddy" and all other black entertainers they think thats the only way to go is either the streets and make it rich selling drugs or entertaining the masses.

They really don't have good examples in front of them on the TV set all they see is hood sh*t so since they have no one to look up to in the Hood they look up to people like Jay-z and stuff where else can they go that would resonate with them?

Its sad because the youth know no better, they just follow what they think is needed to be done "you step on my sneaker or look at me wrong, its problems straight off the bat" Thats just the standard in the hood like 1+1=2.

But it is wrong I believe to depict the first real major black hero as an 40oz drinking bum that cant do nothing right. might as well call him the first N*gger Hero, he was type Ignorant right?

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Apparently you forgot a lot of black super heroes.

Blade
Catwoman
Frozone
Kiddy Phenil
Mace Windu
Meteor Man
Storm

That's just the ones that are a) from movies and b) have super powers. If I include the non super powered heroes, or heroes from comics, the list grows by quite a bit.

For that matter, Hancock isn't the first hero viewed as a criminal in movies. As mentioned earlier, there's Spawn, the X-Men (particularly Wolverine), Blade, and the heroes in The Incredibles. Again, that's just people with super powers and in the movies.

Personally, I think you're just reading to much into it. It's a movie, enjoy it as such.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I have seen the movie thought it was alright but you might want to ad a spoiler alert becouse some of the things you talk about I had no idea were in the movie till I seen it.good thread thow.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This was a blog i found on the net not my personal view. It is the first black super hero Blockbuster in history though, and it was pushed as that.

@Slayerfan: My bad I should of done that SORRY people

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tebyen

Thanks for the comment but I never said he was the first Black superhero I said he was the first Ni**a superhero which is a big difference.

The second line of the blog states, "It's just a coincidence that the first "superhero" depicted on the silver screen as a criminal, alcoholic, lazy, foul mouthed, not giving a you know what bum, living in a broken down trailer, who everybody hates including the people he saves, just happens to be black.

The problem is not that he's black it's that he a a superhero acting like a Ni**a thats being played by a black man, Will Smith, who is thew biggest box office star in Hollywood!

Thanks again!

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the plot synopsis king P. I probably will never see the movie, but the plot line you present is very interesting indeed. The dynamic between the white wife with the suppressed superpowers and Hancock himself screams Hillary-Obama to me, and you can throw in pretty much all that flice had to contribute as well. And you though you were reading a lot into it.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I enjoyed this movie. I never categorized the characters are black, white or latino. I just watched a story and loved the actors.

Anyone who breaks the movie down to what colour the actor is and stuff puzzles me.

Can't you just enjoy the story?

Rhain

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by clinux

The 1st black super hero on the movie screen I think was Spawn. Although he wasn't exactly criminal or alcoholic, but he does fit some of the other descriptions.

I enjoyed your post though.

What about Blade? He didn't seem to have any negative qualities besides bloodlust, which was hardly his fault.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Although you will find Hollywood rife with these kinds of things, perhaps "Hancock" is black simply because Will Smith, who is black, plays the lead character?

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What the blog says is that the first mal-adjusted super hero happens to be black.
Superman III is one that comes to mind, where Superman becomes alcoholic and destroys things.
Hancock is just a rip-off from that idea.
I have not seen it, just the trailers.
I think the blogger has a right to his opinion but is technically inaccurate.

[edit on 9-7-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Why, oh why are we still thinking in color? I don't see it as the homeless bum black man with super powers that realizes his potential with the help of the white man. Its the story of one human being helping his fellow man who has extraordinary powers to see his potential. What about if the roles were reversed? For example Morgan Freeman's Lucius Fox character helping Bruce Wayne? Just a man helping his fellow man.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I thought you were going to say it was to promote Barack psychologically/subliminally.

That is, all of those distrusting white people will see that if Barack has been domesticated by white people that they can like him & don't have to worry about voting for him because he'll be the superhero they've been looking for.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Color or not, I think the OP actually said first "superhero" depicted on the silver screen as a criminal, alcoholic, lazy, foul mouthed, not giving a you know what bum, living in a broken down trailer, who everybody hates including the people he saves, *just happens* to *be black.*

Not the first black superhero. The first Criminal super-hero happens to be black.

I am not sure I agree with the OP on the entire theory, I do find the irony to be interesting. Hancock's (Hand Cock? is that what you were referring to his 'bird'?) 'kryptonite' happens to be a White Woman.

DocMoreau

top topics

<<   2 >>

join