It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ICE - In Case of Emergency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I dont know how many of you have heard of this scheme. It is in operation in the UK, US and Australia. In the UK it was around in an informal form about the time of the 7/7 bombings in London. Now it is more formal and organised.

Details can be found here:-
www.icecontact.com...

Talking with Paramedics I work with, one of the things they look for on a person in a Road Traffic Accident (RTA) is a mobile/cell phone to see if they have an ICE number listed.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I would never give any of my details or a loved one's details to that type of site. I DO have my emergencey details in my phone, but there is no way in heck that I will pay to have my details on yet another databank.

But that's just me, as my partner often says, ( usually when I refuse to give my details during a retail transaction) I'm probably just paranoid.

D

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Why cant they track people using their social security number? If you are involved in RTA, you will be sent to hospital straight.

If you are alert and rational, you can call your next of kin.

If you are not rational, cant the hospital trace using your NOK using your identity card

If you are BID, I guess it doesnt matter.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Putting an "In Case of Emergency" (I.C.E) number on your cell phone is a great idea in my opinion. All our phones list one.

Having a Medical Alert bracelet stating any serious medical conditions or allergies you might have is a good idea as well. If you're alone, injured, and unable to speak for yourself, they could very well save your life. Paramedics and ER staff are trained to look for them.

[edit on 7/7/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I knew I would get some replies from people that are paranoid or data-giving shy. I would rather people would refrain from posting comments like that as this is a helpful idea and may save some grief or even your life. I am sure people can make their own minds up about giving out their data.

As for tracing through your ID card or Social Security number, please remember not every country has them, this is an International website.

Also, if you are allergic to anything or have diabetes or are on warfarin etc, it is best that the Paramedics know ASAP.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
It's a good idea and it has travelled the world over.
These days, it's more likely that the injured person has his phone on his person than his ID card (given that's available in the respective country, the UK doesn't offer one for instance).
This is also good for teens who often indulge in binge drinking on the weekends. It need not be an emergency but they could be found stranded by the side of the road dead drunk and some good soul finds their parents' number and calls them up.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Wotan you know where I am coming from when I say this.

I have watched people die, alone, in pain, with only medical staff with them after a major trauma, and its been two or three hours since they came in but they had no contact details for their families.

I also seen people with ICE in their phones being taken off mountains and being met by their families who were with them for their finals hours.

I know which one I want - ICE it is.

This is one thing you don't have to be paranoid about. Health staff see an ICE and they will call it. Its only noted in your nursing and medical notes as next of kin IF it is confirmed as being so. Till then its just a number to call.

Believe me, some paras and techs I know are more than happy to spend an evening on ATS . . . . . .

top topics

join