It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: It'll be fixed in 4 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) plans to promise on Monday that he will balance the federal budget by the end of his first term by curbing wasteful spending and overhauling entitlement programs, including Social Security, his advisers told Politico.

The vow to take on Social Security puts McCain in a political danger zone that thwarted President Bush after he named it the top domestic priority of his second term.

McCain is making the pledge at the beginning of a week when both presidential candidates plan to devote their events to the economy, the top issue in poll after poll as voters struggle to keep their jobs and fill their gas tanks.

Source material here

Sounds like a pretty bold statement!

My favorite part?

"Plans to promise on Monday"

he "plans" to "promise"?

Why can't he promise it today? Why the wait to make a promise?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
It looks like you posted this on Monday so, technically, he is announcing this today.

Why is he announcing it Monday and not Sunday? Well.. This is because he is having a Town Hall meeting and this article is based on his talking points briefing (or something to that extent) for the event. You already knew that, though.

I always like how everything is going to be fixed in four years, though. Then the next election season arrives and it's all about blaming the other party for blocking everything that didn't get done, but don't worry... If we can get our party in control of the House and Senate... Then if we can retain majority control/gain control of the House, Senate and I am re-elected then everything I promised will be done before my tenure is up plus all this new stuff that we have made you think are the most important issues.

I love how all this political mumbo-jumbo is worded, though.

It is very strong (I will ... even if ... they won't), infinitely vague (generic solution to generic problem), lacks any real solutions (I will do this generic thing without any indication of how), already blames the other party (if they won't), and is utterly meaningless (I will ... they won't ... I'll act ... [applause]).

I mean just reading this makes me think this could not be meant for public consumption. We are going to "tell oil producing countries ... our dependence will come to an end" and that will "drive oil prices down". What? Not if they read this, right? Then they'll just call your bluff...

His policies will "increase the value of the dollar". Oh, OK. Am I taking your word for it? what policies? Oh... I see it says right there. "Globalization"... will stimulate our economy. Great... Care to explain that plan Mr. McCain? No comment? Figures.

It would be rather short-sighted of me, however, to say this is solely a McCain-Republican issue.

At the risk of infuriating the OP, I must say that this type of drivel goes both ways, but this is certainly not the thread to discuss that. Nevertheless, I do believe that this point is valid.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
When i seen this....McCain: It'll be fixed in 4 years....all i could think was

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I just blocked with one hand the smoke that was attempting to enter my rear.

This is just...weird.

Logically he must know this won't be feasible in that length of time unless some seriously drastic measures are to take place.

McCain doesn't strike me as an irrational or insane man so either he has lost his mind, or he has just decided that he doesn't mind telling people what they want to hear. He is trying to appeal to the uninformed masses to grab their gullible vote.

As your article states:

Jason Furman, Obama's economic policy director, called McCain's pledge “preposterous." Furman pointed out that the Congressional Budget Office now estimates a 2013 deficit of $443 billion, assuming the Bush tax cuts are extended. And he estimated that McCain would have to cut discretionary spending—including defense—by roughly one-third to bring the budget into the black by then.

"McCain would have to pay for all of his new tax cuts and other proposals and then, on top of that, cut an additional $443 billion from the budget—which is 81 percent of Medicare spending or 78 percent of all discretionary spending outside of defense," Furman said.

from the sourced article

I am dumbfounded.
Why would McCain say such a thing?

- Lee

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
If he announces this today on 7/7 it is not surprising. Its 3 days after Independence Day July 4th.
and also the day of the London Bombing 7/7 2005 that was 3 years ago (11)
www.wrhlive.com...

Symbolism Occult and more Symbolism (SOS)

Its way beyond Fnord my dear Watson..you simply have to pay attention and realize our leaders communicate this way.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
"Plans to promise on Monday" he "plans" to "promise"?
Why can't he promise it today? Why the wait to make a promise?

Politics. They have to use a Monday to get the best press coverage.
Even terrorists know this. End of the week and weekends provide
not as much press coverage.

As for his promise ... it's just another politician making promises that
he (or she) may or may not be able to keep. Political pandering.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Politicians are good at making plans and promises as we all know. Whether they intend to keep them or not is another matter all together. Bill Clinton managed to balance the budget, but it garnered him little support.

People want change, but they're unwilling to pay the price associated with it.

top topics

join