It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Pharma Is in a Frenzy to Bring Cannabis-Based Medicines to Market...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Big Pharma Is in a Frenzy to Bring Cannabis-Based Medicines to Market...

www.alternet.org

First, let me state the obvious. Big Pharma is busily applying for -- and has already received -- multiple patents for the medical properties of pot.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cannabisnews.com
current.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Congress to Legalize Cannabis!!
Should Cannabis laws be reversed?

[edit on 6-7-2008 by solarstorm]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
All you special plant lovers start smiling. Big Pharma is seeing green....literally.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Wow, this could be a very big sign that decriminalization may be a very real possibility in the near future. This also means that big pharma is planning to take a proverbial dump on the emerging "cannabis club" market in California. Patenting the medicinal properties of pot? So would that make selling the plant material itself illegal? (this is of course assuming it is made legal in the first place.)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see how many lawmakers are going to stick their necks out in support of something like this. Then again "Big Pharma" will do what it wants within due time.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Pill-based reefer isn't as kind to the user as the kind kind, bud. Thanks for opening the lid on this and sharing the 4:20, 411, or whatnot.

Will new medicines be sprouting up like weeds, or will they get chambered by the Feds before the existing drug classification goes up in smoke? I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Uncle Sam to give the high sign to heads, yet.

Time for a "safety meeting".

[edit on 6-7-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Enter BigPharma, and I know we are all being screwed.

Aside from that, it would be wonderful if my son could grow hemp (not pot) in the States. It is such a versatile plant material. Well, I don't need to preach to the choir on that.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Don't they already have cannabis based medications? why do they need more lol
if they can already make these why can't they make others?

Cesamet

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
While this seems like good news what I would be afraid of is the side effects of their new medications. If these pills are not naturally based and are in fact synthetic cannabanoids there may be some serious side effects.

There are plenty of medications that are simply synthetic versions of illegal narcotics and they are responsible for many deaths and thousands of addictions every year.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Well I live in The Netherlands and you can buy Marihuana here in shops on all streetcorners.

Doctors here do infact prescribe marihuana to patients, only not in pill form or anything, just the good old "green" that can be smoked. I wonder if they provide "space cake" to patients that don't smoke.

I think Marihuana should be legalised in all countries. This takes it out of the illegal circuit and let's the government control the quality and price.
Here in the Netherlands it's legalised and we have less Marihuana use then in surrounding countries.

My opinion is that it's hypocrisy to ban Marihuana and at the same time keep a blind eye to all the alcohol abuse, but that's just me...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Fastwalker81

I agree, and more over, the legalization of Marijuana opens up the possibility for the government to tax it. Right now everyone who wants to smoke it already does and pays no money to the government unless they get busted. I can't believe the government can resist adding a new tax.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Anything made by the pharmaceutical companies will probably be laced with synthetic chemicals that will, over the long run, cause more harm than good. That's how all prescription drugs work and they cause over 100,000 deaths per year. That of course, is not reported in the media. I would advise anyone I know to stick with what mother nature provides, that goes for all foods and medications.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

Starred! Big Pharma is using all it's legal means to ensure that the 'process' of synthesizing the active elements of the cannabinoid complex is protected. Soon they will sue God for infringing on their patents.

Cannabinoids are a natural component in human physiology. Big Pharma will be exploiting this like they exploit every possible angle to secure capital flow.

I can't wait to see the commercials. "Speak to your doctor about....." with a scene of people chowing down at a barbecue!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Wow, this could be a very big sign that decriminalization may be a very real possibility in the near future. This also means that big pharma is planning to take a proverbial dump on the emerging "cannabis club" market in California. Patenting the medicinal properties of pot? So would that make selling the plant material itself illegal? (this is of course assuming it is made legal in the first place.)

I doubt that very seriously. If patents have been given out based on components of the plant, this would, in my opinion, bring further criminalization. In my head this would mean that it would fall under current laws regarding patent and trade.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Marinol has been out since the 80's. Nothing new about this. However, other medications exist that manipulate the cannibinoid receptors in order to achieve other interesting effects like weight control.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Wow, this could be a very big sign that decriminalization may be a very real possibility in the near future. ....

No, it isn't. You see, when you read this, you skipped right over the word that will keep pot illegal. Here's the word: PATENT. You see, you can patent products made FROM cannabis, but you can't patent the plant itself.

The government itself makes too much money from keeping pot illegal. After all, here is what I have to fear from people who are high on marijuana:

1) They will drive really slow on the freeways
2) They will sit on my couch and laugh at really stupid stuff on TV.
3) They will eat all my junk food.
4) Possibly, they will use annoying words like "dude", "chill out", "far out/groovy" (older pot smokers only).

As you can see, that list of worries is WAY down on my "threat meter". The older I get the more I'm convinced that the reason the elite don't like pot is it has the side effect of taking away fear.

If every time a government stooge screamed "The terrorists are here to rape your cattle, and stampede your women!" the people all laughed at them, the war business (and that is what it is, make no mistake) wouldn't be very profitable, now would it?

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

Scorpion also uses mother's nature chamicals.Snakes, poisonous snails and such. If same molecule is synthesysed in lab or in cell it is still the same mollecule.

kiki9

As for why pharma companies are still patenting canabis chemicals - the reason is that there are several different active chemicals ,working on several different targets and doing different things. So each chemical used for different porpose needs different patent. For example - if you proove that Aspirin cures blindness (which it doesn't ,of course) you will be able to patent its use. Even though Aspirin exists for more then hundred years and was patented for different things.
Also, action of canabis chemicals can be mimicked and can be used to research something blocking this action. So there are a lot of possible patents.
Fastwalker81

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
People have known for thousands of years that Cannabis has medicinal properties, Now big pharma are finding this to be true with there scientific tests.

This proves the laws on cannabis were based on lies, And many people have found themselves locked up for using cannabis as their medicine of choice.

The Governments should legalise right away..... at least for the medi-users as a start.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
HEY BIG BROTHER
leave our WEED alone....he he

Big -Pharma?.... damn.... nuthins sacred anymore.. is it?
outlaw the weed and make the synthetic to sell ?..... sad

it might become even more illegal than it ever was......

new topics

top topics

join