It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria 'would break links with Iran' if America steps in to help it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Syria 'would break links with Iran' if America steps in to help it

www.tele graph.co.uk

According to the official, who has been engaged in low-key "second track" discussions with Syrian representatives for many months, Syria's President Bashar Assad is increasingly open to a deal which would greatly weaken Iranian influence in the region.

Alon Liel, a former director of Israel's foreign ministry, said the prospect of a peace agreement with Syria was growing, though it might require a new American president before a deal could be agreed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What do you wanna bet that there is more to this story about Israel bombing the alleged Syrian nuke plant.

It seems very convenient that all of a sudden Syria wants to talk and ultimately accept aid in return for severed ties with Iran. Another piece in this global puzzle?

www.tele graph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It is interesting, but I also have to wonder about the long standing divide between arabs and persians and how much that has to play in this as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think it sounds like the same old stuff. "We can have peace if so and so does such and such." Does it ever work? And what does a new American president have to do with peace between the two countries?

Good point about the Persians and the Arabs. If I am not mistaken most Iranians don't claim Iran. They call themselves Persians.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I have this on going belief that whats going to happen in this world is not avoidable. It's in human nature to kill, destroy, dominate, and to ultimatly destroy civilizations. The big war is going to happen, just as it always has. Millions upon millions are going to die, new world powers are going to arise, and it's going to start ALL over again. Humans have been repeating this process over and over since the beginning of humans.

Syria deciding to side with America isn't going to slow anything down in my opinion. Look at the history of humans... One of the biggest figures in human history and few might know him as the "savior" of mankind, was slayed brutally. That is not a religious comment, just a example. No matter how "enlightened" you think you are about living in peace, prosperity, and happiness. Chances are, eventually, your going to be slayed, or feel the effects of the man with the bigger stick.

Humans are nothing but "intelligent" animals. Look how packs of wolves, or prides run their world. Brutality and peace mixed into one. It's how the world turns and how it will continue turning for the rest of time. Peace is ignorance and war is ignorance. I might sound sadistic, or dry, but i'm not. I've just accepted that it's that way. I'll put my little footprint on this Earth, die, and who knows.

I would rather concentrate on my immediate life. I'll be my best and do my best. I'll raise a happy family and do my best to teach them a good way to live. I'll change things that I can change.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by USMC-oorah]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
you all are crazy. this is a lie. syria and iran are in bed with eachother, and are playing the same game of keeping america happy while they secretly plot to destroy us along with israel. Israel by bombs, amerca destroyed by financial stresses due to gas hitting 10$ a gallon.

read for yourself

debkafile.net...

copy and paste don't be lazy.

iran/syria just signed a new military intelligence deal under a closed door negotiation.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
sure, no problem, we'll help,,, just let us build 50 military bases---a done deal

oh,,, and control your airspace,,,,
rape your oil, and said profits,
tell you who you can attack
and inform you if you've been attacked

and so on and so forth!!! etc etc

can u feel my anger through your screen

i'm finding it hard to be positive about our state of the "good ole usa" anymore!!!!!

[edit on 7-7-2008 by shortywarn]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Reason-
Good point about the Persians and the Arabs. If I am not mistaken most Iranians don't claim Iran. They call themselves Persians.

There is a long standing animosity here, I remember an Iranian telling me "All the Arabs did was tell us which direction to pray and then they covered up our women!". As for Iranians calling their country Iran, this is quite a complicated issue. Westerners used to refer to Iran as Persia (no doubt due to our erocentric histroy lessons, using primarily Greek sources). It is known for certain that the country was called Iran by the Sassanian Shahanshas, and that the Achaemenids also made several references to Iran (Ayran, "Land of Aryans", "Land of Heroes"). The Persians were one of many Iranian tribes and are today a subgroup among Iranian peoples, so..... All Persians are Iranian, but not all Iranians are Persians.

In Ancient times there were a dizzying array of Iranian tribes, here's a map showing how much territory Iranian Peoples covered in around 100BC:

Back to recent news however, as the Israeli military historian Martin van Creveld said after the invasion of Iraq "Had the Iranians not tried to build nuclear weapons, they would be crazy". Here's a nice little image that should give an impression of what a completely surrounded country looks like:

Hmmmmm, hardly surprising that the Iranians are getting a little paranoid.

top topics

join