It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.5 Earthquake, SEA OF OKHOTSK, RUSSIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

7.5 Earthquake, SEA OF OKHOTSK, RUSSIA

www.iris.edu

DATE
05-JUL-2008 02:12:03

LAT 53.89
LON 153.03

MAG 7.5
DEPTH 605.4

REGION SEA OF OKHOTSK, RUSSIA
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.iris.edu
earthquake.usgs.gov...
Melbourne Herald Sun

There had been great pressure building where the Okhotsk plate meets the Pacific plate. A lot of these pressures are responsible for the many Kuril Island quakes. Here is an essay on one of the great concerns about this region: Problem of Possible Catastrophic Tsunami in Sea of Okhotsk

[edit on 4/7/08 by Pellevoisin]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Preliminary information on quake. No other impact information yet. I'll see what other information I can dig up and add it to this thread and hope that other ATS members will do the same

www.iris.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

==============

I thought I had found more information but the link simply gave me a photoessay of male models on the catwalk.

I'll keep looking at the Russian websites to see if I can find anything.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here is the first report I could find from KKTV.COM

The first damage and injury reports are coming in from Russia's Far East, where a major earthquake struck Friday.

The U.S. Geological Survey and Japan's Meteorological Agency put the magnitude at 7.7.

A second quake measuring 6.1 struck five hours later.

One official who spoke to The Associated Press after the first quake says there are reports of damage in some villages as well as minor injuries.

Another official says telephone service has been cut off and that helicopters have been dispatched to the region to survey the situation.

Some 1,200 people live in the area where the quake hit, more than four-thousand miles east of Moscow.

Russian news agencies say there has been damage to a school and a hospital as well as utilities.

I thought that area was still largely uninhabited since the Soviet Union's collapse. In any event here's thoughts and prayers with those in need and those responding to the earthquakes.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The BBC are reporting the following:

An earthquake of 7.7 magnitude has rattled villages on Russia's remote Kamchatka Peninsula but there were no immediate reports of serious injury.

The tremor struck at around 1230 (2330 GMT Thursday) in an area 1,000km (625 miles) north of Kamchatka's largest city, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky.

A school, two nurseries, a hospital and a runway were damaged in one village where power supplies were also hit.

US geologists say it was the strongest quake in the area since 1900.

Continue reading here

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
This is reminiscent of the 8.5 earthquake that hit southern Siberia in September of 2003. But this quake was much, much deeper.

Fortunately, the current quake centred in the Sea of Okhotsk is no where near huge cities like the recent tragedies in China.

The only reason I caught this is that I heard these strange sounds that I thought were earthquake tones and was worried that a quake had struck nearby, but it was more or less on the other side of the North Pacific.

If Charlotte King or any other earthquake sensitive people experienced anything with this quake, that would very useful information to add to this story I think.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
There is an interesting sidebar to this area of seismic activity. I recall that a number of scientists have postulated that Kamchatka and the Okhutsk plate are actually parts of the North American continent.

I don't have any links at the moment, but I thought this a mighty idea worth studying. If any ATSers have any information on this theoretical model, please add in.

Also, a sidebar note: in the news reports on the Tungutska anniversary there was a fascinating tid bit of information:

The scientists also discussed the possibility that underground phenomena caused the catastrophe.

"There is a certain phenomenon known as an 'earthquake fire,'" said Olkhovatov. "It is a strange glowing that gives way in seismically active regions. It can also take on various forms, including flying balls of fire. Taiga inhabitants saw them June 30, 1908. And the 100-year-old catastrophe occurred during a period of increased seismic activity. So the Tunguska meteoroid may have actually 'flown' from underground and not from the sky."

Original article in Комсомольская правда in the English edition.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I bet someone is going to say Harp did it...

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Here is a clipped image of the graphic representation of the quake. It is the large red circle in the upper left. The other circles represent recent quakes, and the purple dots represent historic quakes.

top topics

join