It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will pass on the dog-kill-dog world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The fact that I am getting old, and I have no young people depending on me, brings me to a realization that I have no desire to live in a post-apocalyptic world.

Some people believe we are about to dive into a post-apocalyptic situation, but there isn't any strong proof.

But if I end up having to decide whether I want to make a big effort to survive in very difficult times, as an old, tired dude, I think I'll choose to check out. But I will not come to that conclusion immediately. I'll observe for a while to try to be sure that dark times aren't a temporary phenomena.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I hear you. I think in your final statement about making sure the "less than desirable" environment isn't temporary lies the key. Maintaining the assumptions that lead to the post-apocalyptic world, we arrive on the scene. It is at this point that thoughtful persons like yourself hanging in is critical. We are going to have to make a choice between the usual 'Mad Max' version of the world or ... what? It's not often that an alternative is offered. Let's call it the 'Wooden Ships' version. (if the reader doesn't get the reference, google it) People are good. Sure, our society really f's many, many, many people up. But even then, from their affected perspective, the individual still does what they think is best/right/correct (it's a logical prison, we "have to.") I see the post apocalyptic world as an opportunity rather than a nightmare. If enough people like yourself stand up in the chaos and offer an alternative to the Mad Max solution, the world can become a truly wonderful place. We can travel the world joyfully in Wooden Ships. Give and Receive. EVERY person has something they can contribute joyfully. If even half of us do so, we can win in the end.

But then again, it often seems far more likely that our current retarded version will simply continue to prevail...

new topics

join