It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret cave below Pyramid of the Sun to be explored

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The Place Where Men Become Gods

Archeologists are opening a cave sealed for more than 30 years deep beneath a Mexican pyramid to look for clues about the mysterious collapse of one of ancient civilization's largest cities.

Archeologists are now revisiting a cave system that is buried 20 feet beneath the towering Pyramid of the Sun and extends into a tunnel stretching for some 295 feet (90 meters) with a height of 8 feet.

Sarabia said the tunnel was first discovered in the early 1970s but it was closed soon afterward, and most of the information about it was lost when the archeologist who found it died.

Hmm, I'd like to know who the original explorer was and if he/she had written anything about what was down there...

Maybe we'll soon find out.
Article

[edit on 3-7-2008 by PhotonEffect]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So much golden knowledge and opportunity to glimpse into a civilization with real antiquity were lost/destroyed during the Spanish blitz... I sincerely hope that something that offers some more clues is found down there.

Do you know why it was sealed and if, for sure, nobody has been down there since?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

Hi Photon,
Good find,
Here are some pages you might like to look at ref the site.

elpage3.tripod.com...

www.csms.ca...

archaeology.la.asu.edu...

As for the the archiologist in the op: I haven't foun him/her yet,
I thought Rene Millon would be a good candidate, but he is still alive! (good on him!)
Esther Pasztory might be able to shed light on the matter, she teaches on the subject at Columbia University: [email protected]

Hope it helps in some way or other.

H

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Havalon

Thanks Havalon,

I'll be sure to check those links and maybe reach out to the professor at Columbia...

I'm really hoping something significant comes out of there.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by astronomine

I echo your thoughts astronomine. I have not been able to figure out why it was sealed off in the first place. Maybe it was to protect wanderers from exploring a dangerous area?

[edit on 3-7-2008 by PhotonEffect]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PhotonEffect

Leopoldo Batres:

The first major archaeological excavation of the site was done by Leopoldo Batres in 1906. Batres supervised restoration of the Pyramid for the 1910 centennial of Mexican independence. Some aspects of Batres' reconstruction of the pyramid have been questioned by later archaeologists. Subsequent excavations of Teotihuacan have continued to the present. In 1925 Pedro Dosal discovered skeletons at the 4 corners of the foundations of the temple, which he interpreted as human sacrifices at the dedication of the temple.

www.crystalinks.com...

Pyramid of the Sun. Early reconstruction work by Leopoldo Batres in the early 20th century has unfortunately removed evidence of the true appearance of the pyramid, including its original height. It is now around 215 feet (65 m) high with five tiers, though the fourth and fifth tier were divided by Batres and there were probably only four original, roughly even tiers.

Source: www.differentworld.com...

Have a look at this page also:

www.delange.org...

Nice pics!

Edit: cause I can!!

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Havalon]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
If they find a Neanderthal in there, I'm gonna crap my pants!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Whoa! This is the first time that I have seen in print from a legit source that it was built by someone other than the native people." The place where men became gods." Very interesting.My gut tells me that we will not hear about this anymore once the cave is open.Wonder what made them seal it back up.The fact that it was built over a cave is very interesting as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There is a plethora of possibilities as to what this tunnel could be. Remember that the actual builders of the city of Teotihuacan are still debated although it is often associated with the Aztec civilization. The tunnel could possibly have some sort of astronomical measurement purpose as is often found with civilizations of this caliber. For example, the Great Pyramids have shafts through the stone from the inside to the outer walls that seem to serve no purpose at all except for the fact that they may have lined up with the Orion Constellation nearly 10,000 years ago (obviously this is far older than the age of the pyramids as they are dated today--entirely different mystery).

Could this tunnel serve a similar purpose?

I'd recommend reading Fingerprints of the Gods when it come to a subject like this. It is very interesting but not always convincing. Draw your own opinions!

new topics

top topics

join