It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the World End in 2012?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

abcnews.go.com

Two years ago, Patrick Geryl, then 51, quit his job as a laboratory worker for a French oil company. He'd saved up just enough money to last him until December 2012. After that, he thought, he wouldn't need it anyway.

Instead, Geryl, a soft-spoken man who had studied chemistry in his younger years, started preparing for the apocalypse. He founded a "survival group" for likeminded men and women, aimed at living through the catastrophe he knew was coming.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It's gone mainstream media, folks. ABC. They actually did this entire story without portraying those who believe something is going to happen as psycho nuts or "doomsday cultists," even going so far as to state that Geryl and others aren't even believers in the apocalypse, just very, very concerned with the way the winds are blowing.

It actually disturbs me a little that the MSM is starting to report about this. For some reason there was always a sort of peace of mind surrounding the whole issue for me because it was still mainly focused within the realm of the conspiratorial and "out there" people on the web. Now with it starting to go mainstream it adds another level of "realness" to something that I had hoped would remain entirely surreal.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Frankly I don't know but it is interesting. The Maya, as well as others believe the Gods were coming back within this time frame. It is also interesting that the last page of Nosdradomus Quatrain shows the symbol for the galatic crossing, which is what comes every 26K years, and which is what the Mayans calculated. Interesting in that both cultures depict several lunar and solar eclipsis during this time frame. Hmmm - Nostradomus and the Mayans were contentents apart, yet came to similar conclusions?

Even Edward Casey could not see past 2012, as well as other foreseerers.

Maybe the "gods" will come back, who knows. I can tell you that the Mayans and others knew their $hit and understood the cosmos in a way that we are only starting to grasp.

I believe the precesion of earths magnetic field will cause GREAT problems on a scale not seen for milleniums. Severe storming, crop failures, etc. The thing that makes this even worse is that the current world carry capacity has been artificially increased due to cheap oil and its by products.

With the decline in oil and the surge in demand of goods, and possible food shortages due to storms, and other weather related crop failures, I think nature will have a way of thinning the herd. In the end, oil nad cheap energy has caused a problem that may very well affect billions...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I know the answer to this one!

But I've sworn not to tell anybody the answer until January 1, 2013.

[edit on 7/3/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My prediction for 2012 is that a certain song by REM is going to become very popular again. On one hand I think it's great that people are getting prepared, this way if some natural disaster hits (whether it be in 2012 or otherwise) they're more likely to survive. Which is good if say a particularly nasty hurricane were to hit later this year or in 2013. But on the other hand one person in the article said that he lost many friends over this theory, which is quite sad. Either the guy needs better friends or just needs to learn to enjoy life until 2013.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I watched a documentary about the Mayans and 2012. The Mayan calendar does not end in 2012, it does continue and there is a katun after this one ends.

The current katun states a dawn of a new age will occur, not the end of the world.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Anyone remember 1999?

Exactly the same happened then.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I remember Channel Four had a night of world ending programs, what is worrying now is the Texan guy rightly predicted the increase in the Oil price and a War in Iraq back in 1999 on Channel Four lol

[edit on 3-7-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Yeah, but the media seems to still think it a little kooky. I've not yet seen any media, hardly anyone acutlly, add up several of the pieces and explain it away.

They always stick to the Mayan Calander ending without adding in the lost book of Nostradamus and other Nostradamus books. They don't ad in the fact that we've, the world, just elected the 111th (last pope) of the pope prediction. They don't calculate in prophetic translations of dates in the book of revelation....

The list goes on and on really.

Sure one or two pieces of can be swept under the rug. I guess you'll always be able to stick your head in the sand to not see the truck coming your way on this one.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Anyone remember 1999?

Actually lots happened in 1999, just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Anyone remember 1999?

Incorrect! 1999 was all man made y2k hysteria. There are actual physical things that will occur 2012.

what will happen if anything only time will tell.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

There's actually supposed to be one more pope, the so-called anti-pope in that prediction. Bennedict is the final "true" pope, according to that, however.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Well don't get confused. There was Y2K. And there was also 1999. Like the prince song. 1999 was a date predicted by Nostradamus, but people looked, misunderstanding the quartrains, and just because they didn't "see" the world end thought Nostradamus missed it. They are blind fools that would not see a fly land on their noses. To truly understand the predictions you'd have to go look at the news of 1999 and then follow the stories and what comes of the events as they unfold.

I don't care really who wants to burry their heads in the sand. They'll be on the chopping block soon enough, but to line up and try to block the reality of 2012 because of their fears makes me feel ill.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

actually that's a misunderstanding.
you see in the original document there were 111 predicted popes and the "dark pope". The Dark Pope is to be the pope in the endtimes. However in a printing error the "112th" pope appeared out of a misunderstanding of the dark pope prophecy.

There is only 111 numbered pope in the list. We are on the last pope. the "Dark Pope" wasn't numbered. The dark pope could be the pope we have now, or it will be the pope that takes power inside the endtimes events. The dark pope however will never the 112th pope on the list as that was a error.

Check out this info for yourself!

Oh and P.S. : Just because the falsely numbered 112 pope is called the "dark pope" don't let the name confuse you. There's is no predictions in place that says the "dark pope" is the "Anti-Pope". That's a romantisim. The dark pope only means it will be dark times for the "church".

STUDY UP and check your facts, TIME IS SHORT, and getting shorter every minute.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Incarnated]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The ironic thing is, for me anyway, is that I am concerned enough to want to plan "just in case", but I cannot afford to prepare anyway!

I have no money to hoard food, buy weapons (which are hard enough to come by in the UK anyway), buy some land to hunker down in or emigrate to somewhere with less people around. It costs enough to keep my family of four running on a month by month basis without worrying about the end of the world as well.

All I can do is prepare a "bug out kit" and ride it out if "Sit X" does happen. I hope it doesn't and a good part of me thinks everything will be OK, but a small piece of me does worry.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
You know what, not to be the one to crush the party but there are tons of threads like this. There is no need to start one up with almost the same title as the previous one. Threads like this end up having the same content as the rest of them, so please before starting a thread like this do yourself and us a favor and do a search and post your ideas on the already created ones.

Sorry if I sound moody but there is no point to threads like this where answers are already posted some place else. Sorry dude!

[edit on 3-7-2008 by TheEnlightenedOne]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Uh, I did search. It was a breaking news item as this is the first time I've seen ABC or any other MSM outlet report the story in anything other than "odd news." Also, it was just published this morning, thus the breaking part. It's not like bandwidith is charged by the thread, man.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

It is breaking alternative news, so it deserves a new thread.

It's not every day that mainstream media picks up on 2012.

However...

Go and watch Futurama. They constantly refer to 2012 as apocalyptic, even going so far to have a character who lost his legs in the "Great War of 2012"... Go figure..

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The "cool" thing about 12 21 2012 at 11:11 is going to be the winter solstice where we will be aligned with the galactic center. There are many energetic implications it would seem we're already experiencing in many ways. If you look back over earth's evolution you will also see ecological & biological booms happening every 26,000 (roughly) with it exponentially increasing up until that 2012 date....so yeah I think something cool is bound to happen for the future of humanity whether you believe it or not or what you may view the "catalyst" of it being...Nope the world will persist and thrive (in my humble opinion
)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
what's the deal with 11:11? I mean, there will be 11:11 just in one little part of earth at the same time, so which one? NY time? Tokyo time? Everybody-his-own-time? The whole thing around 11:11 is stupid, and I'm affraid the whole 2012 issue is just a proof how sheeple react to "what they see on TV", or "what they read on internet",in this case..it's just another propaganda to keep all of us in fear. Maybe the mayan calendar doesn't end on 21122012 at all, it's just a scam, like zecharia sitchin and his nibiru#, these things are happening all the time, I mean apocalypses and world ends, but come on people, anyone of you ever saw global apocalypse? I don't think so. I'm just saying, get real, so you don't have to be ashamed in front of yourselves on Xmas day 2012 after NOTTIN' HAPPENED
There are real issues like corrupt secret governments creating conflicts around the globe just to get all the money of the world, and people starving to death, abusing human rights and the whole american propagandistic system which is far worse that in former CCCP..and trust me,I used to live in CCCP..it sucked!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join