It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Moratorium Scrapped, Bureau Of Land Management To Allow New Plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Solar Moratorium Scrapped, Bureau Of Land Management To Allow New Plants

www.huffingtonpost.com

The government said Wednesday it is calling off a recently announced moratorium on applications to build solar plants on public lands.

The Bureau of Land Management made the announcement after public opposition to its original decision, reached at the end of May.

The BLM had wanted to put new applications for solar plants on federal land on hold while undertaking a comprehensive review of potential environmental impacts from such plants. That review was not scheduled for completion until 2010.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Very happy to hear this and a little surprised.

"Hitting the brakes before we'd really gotten off the ground was definitely a scary prospect for the industry," said Katherine Gensler, manager of regulatory and legislative affairs for the Solar Energy Industries Association.

BLM Director James Caswell said the agency's action Wednesday was intended to address such concerns.

"By continuing to accept and process new applications for solar energy projects, we will aggressively help meet growing interest in renewable energy sources, while ensuring environmental protections," he said in a statement.

That wisdom would win out in any government's thought process seems a bit scary tome, but hey any thing is possible. This is excellent news for the Solar industry.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

sty

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
with so much coast-line I believe wind is the best for US . Solars still too expensive and not very efficient. Unless Sterling system is used..

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
with so much coast-line I believe wind is the best for US . Solars still too expensive and not very efficient. Unless Sterling system is used..

I believe it would be best to cover all the bases if we can. But the question that still irks me is:

Why is solar 'too' expensive. Who is charging an arm and a leg for this technology? How can it be priced 'beyond the reach' of a nation that can spend $5,000 a minute for a war half of us don't support? Who controls the "pricing" for solar technology?

Sigh.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Why is solar 'too' expensive. Who is charging an arm and a leg for this technology? How can it be priced 'beyond the reach' of a nation that can spend $5,000 a minute for a war half of us don't support? Who controls the "pricing" for solar technology?

Sigh.

I believe it has to do with the limited amount of silicon and competing with other industries, think computers, for it.

That and the fact that it is a relatively new industry with a limited ability pf production.

top topics

join