It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Source: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
One more time?
Some may find this as more of wishful thinking,than a actual possibility.
But keep in mind,training camp begins in 4 weeks.
As a Packer fan,im thrilled about the possibility.
Heres to hoping.

(ESPN.com)-With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.
Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

sports.espn.go.com...

Full story here
sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

I know this make you happy, but honestly, if farve comes back, i don't think its a given that he goes back to Green Bay...

There are two teams in the division that would give anything to have Farve play for them...

Do you think Green Bay should abandon all hope for Aaron Rodgers now, cause if favre comes back agian!, he is done with the packers, hes been thru more BS then any other player, after the retirement Farve had, the speach, the tears, the locker, the removing of the locker, EVERYTHING...

but all that said, i would love to go see him play any sunday.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
****UPDATE****

Favre seeks unconditional release from Packers, sources say

(ESPN.com)-HATTIESBURG, Miss -- Three days after a conference call with Green Bay Packers team officials on Tuesday in which quarterback Brett Favre emphatically expressed his desire to play in 2008, Favre on Friday formally asked for his contractual release from the Packers in a letter, sources close to Favre and the team said.

sports.espn.go.com...

Full story here
sports.espn.go.com...

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Black_Fox]

JbT

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I hear/read that maybe the Ravens are going to pick him up.

They have a hole.

www.fannation.com...

[edit on 11-7-2008 by JbT]

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
From what I've read GB doesn't want Farve back. So let's go from there. He has skills, he is probably going to play somewhere this year. Sad really. Why don't the greats know when it's time to hang them up? I'm not slamming Brett here. Even Joe did it.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Sry black fox....

I tried to warn you...

i cant believe Farve will go somewhere else... to see him in ANY jersy then #4 Packer green...

Where will he go?
Ravens
Vikes
Bears

I doubt he would go to a divison rival...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Today the Packers said no to a release and said if he rejoins the team it will be as a backup.

What a disgrace. I am disgusted and disappointed in the Packers. Favorite team or not, thats just wrong. For all that man has done for this franchise, and he is treated this way?

I would rather see him go somewhere else than have to sit on the bench. I would rather see him be released and sign for who he wants to sign with than him be traded to somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Most players, I wouldn't care. But he's not most players. There should be a level of loyalty that you hold for players like him.

As much as it would disgust me to see him in a Vikings or Bears uniform, I would rather that happen (as long as he went there on his own terms and at his own will) than him be forced to not play, be traded to some team he doesn't want to play for or sit on the bench in Green Bay.

I don't want to hear "its business, thats how it goes". No. With most players, it is business. But for players like him, that BS goes out the window.

And why have they already decided who the starter is going to be? Why not have a tryout and see who is best, Favre or Rodgers? I don't care whether Rodger's feelings are hurt if he has to be benched again. I don't care that he is wasting years on the bench. You owe that much to Favre to at least give him a tryout to compete for the starting job, and whoever is the better QB, which is him, gets put out on the field.

This is such an embarrassment. If I didn't know any better, I'd say Ted Thompson was working for another team behind the scenes. He's an awful GM and he'll be remembered forever in Green Bay as the man who ran Brett Favre out of town.

I'm with Favre on this. The Packers should be ashamed.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
^^^ What he Said ^^^

This situation just got a lot weirder...

Its just strange... i feel so bad for Farve...

GB doesnt want to release him, because he could go onto a division rival, or even knock the packers out of the playoffs...

This situation is getting bad... and realy only can get worse... Mabye Farve and Rodgers will have a fist-fight, and whoever wins plays.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The Green Bay Packers are making this situation look harder than it is. This is simple situation of who its better to run your team and who gives you a better shot to win NOW!!!

No question that that would be Brett. I think that the Packers are more afraid of loosing Rodgers because of hints that he would ask for a trade, but even if thats the case with the group of young players that the Packers have there is no doubt in my mind that if Rodgers leaves they could acquire a decent qusterback that could run the franchise, someone like Derek Anderson,Brady Quinn, Sage Rosenfels, Seneca Wallace of jeez even John David Booty if Rodgers in fact due ask for a trade.

The fact is that Favre is better right now than Rodgers, it gives you a better chance to win you always have the chance of injury and poor performance which could give Rodgers a chance (granted that Favre is made of Titanium)...either way I think it would be a bad career move for Rodgers to ask for a trade given the group of players that the Packers have assemble through the draft in the las couple of years, they are loaded offensively and defensively.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I agree if the Packers don't need him or want him for a starter, then they should release him. I think it is very selfish of management to hold him back like this.

He's only got one, maybe two seasons left in him. No reason to not provide the release if you don't want him to start for your team.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
there is no doubt in my mind that if Rodgers leaves they could acquire a decent qusterback that could run the franchise

Its even less serious than that because a lot of people forget the Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the second round (pick 56) of the draft this year. I've heard some "experts" calling him a steal for how late they got him. He was projected to go higher.

Brohm in his 2007 college season was 308 of 473 passes, 4,024 yards, 30 TDs and 12 INT. Those aren't bad numbers at all. Certainly the NFL is different than college, but at least there's a good chance he could be good.

If I were the GM, I wouldn't stress over losing Rodgers at all. He can either go find a nice spot on the bench until Favre says he is truly done, or he can leave, because I have another QB who was also considered a steal, much like Rodgers, and has proved himself as an NFL QB just as much as Rodgers has. In my mind, there is no loss.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I knew about Brohm but for reason it seems that even after been drafted by the Packers, management does not seem to held any high hopes for him seeing that they are treating Rodgers like he is an 8 time pro-bowler...oh wait thats Brett record

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
More news...

sports.espn.go.com...

Favre to Fox News: Packers should let me play elsewhere

This is only getting started...

They should let the GB shareholders vote:
A. Farve returns ands starts
B. Let the man go

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero
They should let the GB shareholders vote:
A. Farve returns ands starts
B. Let the man go

That could not be allow to happen, can you see the precedent it would send? They got scouts, coaches, assitant GM, GM, a president of football operations to make those decisions. Decisions of player personnel should be left to those with the know how even if it s in a situation as obvious as this one in regards to who should start as QB.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

But, GB is the ONLY team in the NFL that is owned by share-holders...

idk, i think it would be cool... Farve belongs in GB...

I can't even imagine him being on a diffrent team... i mean... can you imagine him wearing Viking Purple? Or Raven Purple? Or Chicago blue???

I can't, wven when you do it in Madden, it still looks crazy...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Another article on the Favre situation:

Favre to Pack: Don't Worry About My Legacy

Not a classy move by the Packers, if they don't let him go to another team. What are they afraid of? That he's going to come back and beat them?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Now that it has come out that the Vikings apparently tampered with Brett Farve. Will the Viking lose a first round pick and the Pack gain one?

And will Arlen Spector investigate this as well?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
Now that it has come out that the Vikings apparently tampered with Brett Farve. Will the Viking lose a first round pick and the Pack gain one?

And will Arlen Spector investigate this as well?

It should be tuff to prove anything...

Arlein Speclitcal would be better off spending his time elsewhere...

I starting to think that the Pack are going to trade Farve to an AFC team, and then that AFC team will turn around and trade him for more then they gave up to a NFC North team.

I think farve pLays for the Vikings or Bears next year... and its going to kill GB...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think the evidence is quite clear. Farve used a Packer issued phone to be in contact with Vikings coaches. Who talked him into playing again. That is tampering.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
"Open Season"

(ESPN.com)-A new twist in the Brett Favre saga hit Sunday when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated the Green Bay icon. AND THEN sources said the Packers are open to a quarterback competition. Stay tuned!

espn.go.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join