It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mor4e Sony Viao Help Please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Make: Sony Viao

Model: PCG-R505EL

Problem: Intermittent shut down, probably CPU overheating...
When it shuts down after running for a short while, it wont even go to windows for a while, which tells me it is NOT a software problem but "Pre-BIOS".. if that makes any sense. Then after a period of time, it starts back fine, runs for awhile and then.. POP off again...

The repair shop was going to replace my motherboard but they are currently being sued by MS so they are not taking anything extra on...

Question....

The only motherboard I can find on the net is over 400.00USD.. WAY more than I figure this is worth... I got it for 125.00 at a pawn shop... I hate to throw money away, but it is useless the way it is... And disassembly of the Viao is WAY more complicated then I can handle at my current skill level..

Any suggestions?

Semper

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
just go to www.bleepingcomputer.com they will help you with the right answer.....

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I suspect it is overheating and has damaged some or part of anything touching the motherboard.

What I mean is that there may be issues with cpu and or ram also.
That would be cost over and above the motherboard.

Politly, you DO NOT want to start that project.
Funny thing about laptops, they have very thin wire and wireruns on plastic.

Short answer is most non-experts that work on their laptop useually wind up with an expensive door-stop.

I know this is not what you want to hear.
it is ,however, what you need to hear.

What you need to do is see what the laptop is worth, worth to you.

400+200 to put it in=$600

That puts you at the begining of new laptops or a nice refurb from dell-hint hint

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I agree with Monsoon
The reason you got that laptop at a pawn shop is the reason your trying to fix it
The only reasons I would invest additional money in a laptop would be more Ram or a larger capacity Hard drive. Let the dog die...

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I know that I'm late to the party, but I also agree its probably overheating.

Having disassembled the same model I can say that this vaio could have been designed with better airflow.

If this just started you may simply have a bad cpu fan. You may get away with replacing the fan, or blowing a can of compressed air thru the vents to clean out the dust bunnies.

One test you can do is to put a strong fan by the vent and see if it runs longer.

However, I've found that once a pc has overheated regularly the CPU becomes damaged and needs replaced.

Sorry.

new topics

top topics

join