It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum computing breakthrough arises from unknown molecule

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -The odd behavior of a molecule in an experimental silicon computer chip has led to a discovery that opens the door to quantum computing in semiconductors

news.uns.purdue.edu...

I guess Computer technologies are going to continue spiraling upward after all.
Just when I thought things were starting to level off.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think this thread should be in the science and technology forum.
A little Mod help please...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Wow, that is very impressive computing power. Who was it?...Dr. Deagle!!! I remember listening to a lecture by him where he is explaining how they already have that and surpassed 3xs over. I think it needs to be closer to one celvin degree for these chips to work, thats super cold!

But the fact that as a public we have this option, thats impressive.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If what they say is true ("...two quantum computers could, in concept, communicate instantaneously across any distance imaginable, even across solar systems"), this implies instantaneous communication with satellites - if they are equipped with quantum computers.

This means, actually, that there would be the ability to communicate instantaneously with anyone in the galaxy or even the Universe...

Wow.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

In conjunction with Australian, American and Belgian colleagues, TU Delft and Foundation for Fundamental Research on Matter (FOM) researchers have observed a new type of molecule. It comprises two very different atoms – one natural and one artificial. This remarkable combination was demonstrated in a tiny innovative transistor (FinFET). The scientists publish their findings in Nature Physics this week.

www.tudelft.nl...

The ability to bulid computers using the finFET is already here
So actually building a quantum computer is possible some what sooner.
It's less a dream now and more realistic.

[edit on 1-7-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

[edit on 1-7-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by UnitedSatesofFreemasons

Thanks for popping in
Have a nice day
This is real research and discovery
and theres alot of other theads for you to play with

Bye Bye

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnitedSatesofFreemasons
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

I think it needs to be closer to one celvin degree for these chips to work, thats super cold!

But the fact that as a public we have this option, thats impressive.

Could this be super conduction of a molecule? very interesting.

"One end comprised the arsenic atom embedded in the silicon, while the 'artificial' end of the molecule forms near the silicon surface of the transistor.A single electron was spread across both ends."

the allignment of electrons for maximum conduction? would seem to be one big electron would it not?

Flag

EMM

[edit on 1-7-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

[edit on 1-7-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Design and Fabrication of Tri-Gated FinFET

www.rit.edu...
A PDF Detailing Tri Gated Fin Field Effect Transistors

FinFet transistors lead to smaller more powerful computing devises
and with this new discovery intow were heading for major increases in computational power

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

I wouldn't say "one big electron" I would say "one massively awesome electron"
they can control that electron in three states
so we jump from computers operating in bits to qubits
and thats at a quantum level now.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
This is Most Excellent news!!

Thanks for the heads up U.P.!!!

USA! USA! USA!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Plus this opens all types of communication. Real time holograpics. Maby even teleportation.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
You could have a drummer,a bass player and a guitarist
in different parts of the galaxy jamming together
in real time. What a Jam session !!!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
There have been a lot of these sorts of breakthroughs occurring at the fundamental level of knowledge. The real task now is finding ways to use it to actually build stuff. Progress is being made, but we've still got awhile to go before we get that 1000000 GHz quantum processor. I'm optimistic, though, and I think that in the next few decades we will see some absolutely mind-boggling advances that will make our current computers look as obsolete as an abacus does to us now.

Here's something to think about, though, maybe borrowing a page from the UFO forum, but imagine we perfect this technology and use it, only to find civilizations all over the universe that are already using it? Given we know that this kind of computer is theoretically possible, maybe it's been done before?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Awesome article Penguin, thanks for posting it

This is truly amazing to think that one day perhaps in our lifetimes, well, some of us
that is
could live to see this sort of thing:

Quantum computers also could take advantage of the bizarre behaviors of quantum mechanics - some of which are counterintuitive even to physicists - in ways that are hard to fathom. For example, two quantum computers could, in concept, communicate instantaneously across any distance imaginable, even across solar systems.

(Taken from the article in the OP)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wow!! The things they do with science nowadays.....

The Quantum computer will certainly be a major turning point in our existence, not just for the technology but for the immense amount of ideas and new theories that will require its concepts.

Exciting times!!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: The Utopian Penguin

Man, it's always the "oops!...oh wait...EUREKA!" that get's us on our way.

They have been trying for so long to do this but I never pondered on the idea to produce an artificial molecule to interact with a natural one. We never seize to amaze ourselves, no matter what end of the spectrum it seems

This "neither here nor there" quantum state is what can be controlled in this new molecule simply by altering the voltage of the transistor.

Until now, the challenge had been to create a computer semiconductor in which the quantum state could be controlled, creating a qubit.

And they can do that! Alter the voltage so they have complete control of it, whether they want it here or there or "neither here nor there".

Simply an amazing thing to say the least and thanks for sharing this with us The Utopian Penguin.

We seem to be highway'in towards our glory evermore.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: The Utopian Penguin

This is great news.

This would shrink space for future generations as they begin to explore space the same way the phone began to shrink the earth because information didn't have to wait to be sent by telegram. So someone in Alpha Centauri could instantly get a message to earth.

The beauty of non local communication is you're not sending information through space time so causality is preserved. I wouldn't be surprised if some advanced civilizations use this type of communication.

I wonder if you could send information back in time from the moment non local communication is created. So a quantum computer from say 2040 can send information to a quantum computer in 2030. You're not sending information through space time so causality would be preserved. So information from 2040 would instantly be appearing in 2030.

This would also tell us more about the nature of reality and parallel universes. If you could send information from 2040 to 2030, could it change anything on the current timeline or if any information was used would it result in the branching of a parallel universe?

Interesting times. My 5 year old nephew is going to live in a different world when he reaches my age unless Governments say they have to "control" everyone and this technology in order to keep people "safe."

top topics

join